Trying to diagnose why subwoofer is rattling.

Participant count
  • Participant list

des343
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
I have an 08 model kicker L5 15. Yes I know they are very cheaply made plastic subwoofers. However it was free and works for me in my tiny dodge neon.

Anyways I've been using it for a while now just fine no hiccups or anything have the geins set so well and such. Today out of nowhere I started hearing a terrible rattle almost like the box was falling apart or the car itself was rattling pretty bad...I turn it down don't hear it no more..so I turn it back up..it only really does it on very punchy type notes from what I can really tell. So I took it out of the box played with it hooked up checked coils... Looks for the cheap plastic to need glued back somewhere I see nothing physical or within any test I personally know how to do.

Coils read perfect at 2ohms on the nose. It sounds as if its coming from somewhere within the center of the sub..

Personally just odd because it is causing no issues of any sort besides a horrid rattle. Any idea's? Besides getting a new sub (which I'm totally okay with just not at this current time) thanks.

Hahaha hahaha omg. I'm sorry I'm a total idiot lol!! I appreciate peoples help. So when I took out the speaker to play with it I noticed to box was I'm need of some work but it didn't seem too terrible just figured why not...so I added some glue and a few more screws and let it dry and everything put it all back in because at this point I planned to just beat on the sub and have fun till it gave in...however to my surprise no more noise...it must have been the box falling apart hahaha. I feel like a total idiot but a happy one Lol.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.