Speaker level or rca converter for factory radio

Participant count
  • Participant list
OK so I'm trying to figure out if I'm making a big deal over nothing or if this may be important. So you have a idea of what working with I have a 2015 non Bose Silverado. I'm replacing all door and dash speaker with coaxial in the rears and components in the front. I'm running a jl audio powerwedge+ which is a powered 400 watt 10 in sealed box. I have this wired currently by splicing into the left and right front speaker wires. I will be amping the doors as of right now w a pbr300x 4 or other like amp. So this is the question. My stock radio has no rca outputs. Only wires from the radio to the speakers. I have factory male and female connectors coming for behind the radio so I don't hack up the factory harness and would run the speaker wires of the hu to the amps speaker level inputs and back to the speaker harness to feed the signal to the speakers. Still with me lol.

My other thought was on the connector from the hu solder some high level to Rca connectors and run RCA's back to the amp then the outputs to the speaker harness.

I know this was more longwinded than needed but the point of the question is if I run a 9 wire to the amp or soldered RCA's to the hu output and ran RCA's ....is there going to be a difference in quality of signal going to the amp either way

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

I have always thought of speaker level inputs to be inferior to a good quality LOC.

Maybe RF's are decent, but in an amp built for small size I can't imagine they set aside room for a good noise free LOC.

You may also want to find out if that stock radio does any internal EQ'ing. A lot of modern sound systems cut some low end material at high volume to preserve speaker life.

There are electronic bass restorers/enhancers to compensate for that. Audio Control makes an LOC with "Accubass" which would kill two birds with one stone (if you need it). Not cheap, but good quality and effective.

I agree. I want to get a lc7 or dq61 but right now its cost prohibitive. that will be my last piece to the puzzle so to speak a few months down the road. I'm more than sure your right with them having some "internal eq'ing) inside the radio. For now just looking to get as close to the best I can minus a dsp.

Would you just run say efx 9 wire from the radio to the amp and back to the speaker wires or would it be worthwhile to solder these http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_67780_Rockford-Fosgate-RFIF2SW.html to the radio harness and run RCA's to the amp then plain speaker wire to the speakers

if an amp has high level inputs, you're better off just going that route. think about it, speaker level is a high voltage AC signal. if you take that speaker level then use a LOC to lower that AC voltage than back to your amp to amplify that signal back up again.

if an amp has high level inputs, you're better off just going that route. think about it, speaker level is a high voltage AC signal. if you take that speaker level then use a LOC to lower that AC voltage than back to your amp to amplify that signal back up again.
That's what I was thinking after melting my brain. Glad to know I wasn't the only one thinking that. So I would probably have a better signal with the speaker level? Less loss?

That's what I was thinking after melting my brain. Glad to know I wasn't the only one thinking that. So I would probably have a better signal with the speaker level? Less loss?
only if the amp you are using accepts high level inputs.

Speaker level inputs step down voltage and current too. I'm no engineer, but a little searching indicates LOC's use a transformer, high level inputs use a resistor circuit.

With this particular amp - being built purely for small chassis size -- I just have doubts that the speaker level inputs are of great quality.

Maybe they are. There's certainly no reason not to try them as it would simplify the installation quite a bit.

If there are issues you can troubleshoot at that point.

I agree. I want to get a lc7 or dq61 but right now its cost prohibitive. that will be my last piece to the puzzle so to speak a few months down the road. I'm more than sure your right with them having some "internal eq'ing) inside the radio. For now just looking to get as close to the best I can minus a dsp. Would you just run say efx 9 wire from the radio to the amp and back to the speaker wires or would it be worthwhile to solder these Rockford Fosgate RFIF2SW Speaker Line High Level Input To Female to the radio harness and run RCA's to the amp then plain speaker wire to the speakers

I wouldn't -- I don't see any advantage. According to the manual you just need to cut the female rca's off the input adapters that are included with the amp and connect your speaker wire inputs at that point.

Running speaker wire all the way to the amp is a good thing -- it's high voltage, probably balanced signal. Almost no chance of any noise being induced.

I'm not sure if that RF adapter is just a connection adapter or if it has a resistor/step-down type circuit in it -- either way, I don't see any benefit.

Speaker level inputs step down voltage and current too. I'm no engineer, but a little searching indicates LOC's use a transformer, high level inputs use a resistor circuit.With this particular amp - being built purely for small chassis size -- I just have doubts that the speaker level inputs are of great quality.

Maybe they are. There's certainly no reason not to try them as it would simplify the installation quite a bit.

If there are issues you can troubleshoot at that point.

I wouldn't -- I don't see any advantage. According to the manual you just need to cut the female rca's off the input adapters that are included with the amp and connect your speaker wire inputs at that point.

Running speaker wire all the way to the amp is a good thing -- it's high voltage, probably balanced signal. Almost no chance of any noise being induced.

I'm not sure if that RF adapter is just a connection adapter or if it has a resistor/step-down type circuit in it -- either way, I don't see any benefit.
N2, def appreciate the feedback. Just so I'm understanding. Your saying just run the speedwire back to my amp and then to the factory harness speaker connector and ditch the rf rca adapters. This would make life easy doing that and for now using the factory wiring to the doors. Seems the doors have molex if I'm correct connectors which I just looked at and got sick to my stomach thinking about working with.

Are you not a fan of the rf amp? I have been drilling over an amp selection forever and am dizzy with my research. I know there are a ton out there just really know the name brands but not the others. I think I'm just gonna do speaker inputs so any amp would have to have them plus be in the 150 or so price range and 60+ watts/CH as my speakers are 60w/CH. Any advice on a better amp. Size really doesn't matter as I have good space under my back seat.

N2, def appreciate the feedback. Just so I'm understanding. Your saying just run the speedwire back to my amp and then to the factory harness speaker connector and ditch the rf rca adapters. This would make life easy doing that and for now using the factory wiring to the doors.
That's what I'd do.

Seems the doors have molex if I'm correct connectors which I just looked at and got sick to my stomach thinking about working with.
Yeah, my current and previous two had door connectors. I'm running 200-250w rms into each door, so stock wiring don't cut it.

I must have spent, I dunno, 4 hrs PER door on my last two cars just getting 12 awg wire through those connectors for my components. TONS of fun.

Current car (van) wasn't so bad. An hr or two per door maybe.

Are you not a fan of the rf amp? I have been drilling over an amp selection forever and am dizzy with my research. I know there are a ton out there just really know the name brands but not the others. I think I'm just gonna do speaker inputs so any amp would have to have them plus be in the 150 or so price range and 60+ watts/CH as my speakers are 60w/CH. Any advice on a better amp. Size really doesn't matter as I have good space under my back seat.
Don't really know anything about them. I generally trust RF, I just know those particular amps are tiny, and usually when you engineer something for a particular purpose (to be tiny in this case) rather than the actual purpose (to sound great and be reliable) there has to be a give-and-take. They seem to be fairly popular, and I haven't come across many negative opinions, so I guess you could just say I'm just skeptical for no good reason.

Coming from someone running an old off-brand full range class D my skepticism doesn't mean much.

PERSONALLY though - If a small footprint isn't really an issue I would probably look for a more standard style amp.

N2, now you did it lol. All of what you said makes me happy. Only 60 watts RMS these speakers handle so I think for just my daily purpose the speed wire will do. About the amp. I agree that these new amps are made to hide away and not be seen but may lack in other areas. I have read the rf pbr300x4 gets hot. That doesn't make me feel good. Any experience w PPI. Say their 900.4. It make more than enough power but crap no speaker levels. What brands are good but reasonable price. I can research but just don't want to buy an a me amp and be disappointed w noise or whatever. Any recommendations?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

Jeffp5347

Jeffp5347
Massachusetts
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date
Last reply from
Jeffp5347