experienced installers plz

Participant count
  • Participant list

cocoleveo7686
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
MA
i have a 2013 jeep grand cherokee with the 9 speaker upgrade and stock 430n navigation system, i was told the stock headunit has a built in dsp . I want to keep the stock unit and add a 4 channel amp to power my door speakers with the tweeters then another amp for my 2 12s. I was looking into line out converters but someone told me DSP are much better. So with that said what do you recommend for $300-325 tops and why should i go with a dsp over loc?

If your head unit has a built in DSp. Why would you need another I'd think. A lc6 should be fine I'm not familiar with your stock deck so in not sure about the DSp tho

If your head unit has a built in DSp. Why would you need another I'd think. A lc6 should be fine I'm not familiar with your stock deck so in not sure about the DSp tho
Bc i only have treble, bass, and mid settings. I posted on the jeep forums they said ill get crap sound bc the built in dsp is crap .So i canceled my order of the lc6i and was told to get a dsp bc ill get much better sound so i looked at these

Kicker front row

Audiocontrol dq-61

Lcq-1

Ppi dsp-88r

Soundstream harmony

Bc i only have treble, bass, and mid settings. I posted on the jeep forums they said ill get crap sound bc the built in dsp is crap .So i canceled my order of the lc6i and was told to get a dsp bc ill get much better sound so i looked at these
Kicker front row

Audiocontrol dq-61

Lcq-1

Ppi dsp-88r

Soundstream harmony
I don't know what you're expecting, but you can't go wrong with Audiocontrol. It'll do what it says, be high quality, reliable, and hold good resale value. Kicker products are usually OK, but PPI and Soundstream IMO haven't put their name on anything worth owning since the 90's, I'd avoid at all costs.

I don't know what you're expecting, but you can't go wrong with Audiocontrol. It'll do what it says, be high quality, reliable, and hold good resale value. Kicker products are usually OK, but PPI and Soundstream IMO haven't put their name on anything worth owning since the 90's, I'd avoid at all costs.
Pretty much says it there. If you want a decent or good DSp your gonna need more money

I was told that the EQ has to be flattened first in order to tune it to sound right, and that the audison bit 1 or bit ten do this, along with rf360.3, and a few others but they are like 500 or more. . Im not expecting anything iim just trying to figure out whats best to order with what i have. Thats why i wasnt sure if any of the ones i listed would flatten the eq first. I now jl audio makes clean sweep but i dont think that will work for 2 amps

I was told that the EQ has to be flattened first in order to tune it to sound right, and that the audison bit 1 or bit ten do this, along with rf360.3, and a few others but they are like 500 or more. . Im not expecting anything iim just trying to figure out whats best to order with what i have. Thats why i wasnt sure if any of the ones i listed would flatten the eq first. I now jl audio makes clean sweep but i dont think that will work for 2 amps
Bit one, 3sixty, JL, and the JBL MS8 are going to be very powerful processing tools as well as factory integration. There's an MS8 for sale in the classifieds here for a good price at the moment (check seller's rep before you send him money).

To "Flatten EQ" simply don't use ANY boost or gain on your factory head unit and rely on the aftermarket processor to dial in your sound. Cheap processors (and often factory head units) have poor EQ functions. Inaccurate, noisy, or just not versatile enough to do much good. That's probably what the Jeep forum folks are trying to tell you.

Of course, if you're happy with the levels without any EQ at all you might just go with simpler line level converter. Again, if you do buy one of the premium priced ones you'll get what you pay for and all should hold solid resale value when/if you ever want to get out of them... or should last long enough to carry over into your next vehicle.

Bit one, 3sixty, JL, and the JBL MS8 are going to be very powerful processing tools as well as factory integration. There's an MS8 for sale in the classifieds here for a good price at the moment (check seller's rep before you send him money).
To "Flatten EQ" simply don't use ANY boost or gain on your factory head unit and rely on the aftermarket processor to dial in your sound. Cheap processors (and often factory head units) have poor EQ functions. Inaccurate, noisy, or just not versatile enough to do much good. That's probably what the Jeep forum folks are trying to tell you.

Of course, if you're happy with the levels without any EQ at all you might just go with simpler line level converter. Again, if you do buy one of the premium priced ones you'll get what you pay for and all should hold solid resale value when/if you ever want to get out of them... or should last long enough to carry over into your next vehicle.
yea i know. I am having an installer do all the work for me so i didnt wanna have to spend alot on that because then hes gonna have to tune it. I am gonna run 1 set components, 1 set coaxls, 4 channel amp, monoblock and 2 12's. I guess i have a hard time understanding if i will be happy or not. My last car i had bose amplified speakers i swapped them out all 4 with coaxals and left the tweeters where they were, added a alpine deck, alpine pdx5, vfl amp and 2 12's. My install guy has smd crossover and all those multimeters tuning devices. So say i get a ppi dsp that doesnt flatten the eq and he tunes it with the SMD devices wont it be easy for him to do crossover points, gains, etc? Or for the best sound since i just bought $1000 subwoofers get a dsp?

yea i know. I am having an installer do all the work for me so i didnt wanna have to spend alot on that because then hes gonna have to tune it. I am gonna run 1 set components, 1 set coaxls, 4 channel amp, monoblock and 2 12's. I guess i have a hard time understanding if i will be happy or not. My last car i had bose amplified speakers i swapped them out all 4 with coaxals and left the tweeters where they were, added a alpine deck, alpine pdx5, vfl amp and 2 12's. My install guy has smd crossover and all those multimeters tuning devices. So say i get a ppi dsp that doesnt flatten the eq and he tunes it with the SMD devices wont it be easy for him to do crossover points, gains, etc? Or for the best sound since i just bought $1000 subwoofers get a dsp?
PPI is junk. If you want to really be able to dial in the sound you MUST buy one of the high quality units or prepare to replace the head unit with Pioneer PRS 80 or similar. Otherwise, why not use use PAC LoC? Presumably your amps have gains and built in crossovers if they're even somewhat modern and unless you're a real tweaker or very picky you shouldn't need any EQ. Just avoid using any EQ functions on your head unit or cheap processors.

Buying a "budget" brand processor is asking for trouble IMO. I've just seen way too much junk with PPI and Soundstream band names on them to ever gamble with something like that. Do it as cheap as possible or do it nice... don't bother going in-between here.

PPI is junk. If you want to really be able to dial in the sound you MUST buy one of the high quality units or prepare to replace the head unit with Pioneer PRS 80 or similar. Otherwise, why not use use PAC LoC? Presumably your amps have gains and built in crossovers if they're even somewhat modern and unless you're a real tweaker or very picky you shouldn't need any EQ. Just avoid using any EQ functions on your head unit or cheap processors.
Buying a "budget" brand processor is asking for trouble IMO. I've just seen way too much junk with PPI and Soundstream band names on them to ever gamble with something like that. Do it as cheap as possible or do it nice... don't bother going in-between here.
So you think i definitely should get something to flatten the eq already? I guess its hard bc my last setup was with alpine cd player. I put sub setting on +15 tuned my amp and set crossovers at amp and 200hz at cd player for speakers. Sounded good to me. But with the cherokee i guess the head unit has a crap dsp in it and i was told at certain volumes its gonna make my frequencies go up and down because thats how the stock unit works i guess. So im confused on what to do.

I really dont understand why it won't sound good if i use a lc6i then run it to my amps and cross over/gains there. But people keep saying no matter how much i tune at the amp the built in dsp in the headunit is gonna make the frequencies different even if i tune them

first the Kicker Front Row is not a true DSP. second you need to make sure your OEM unit is processed before OEM amp at processed in each door.
Yes it will be processed before the factory amp. Even people on the jeep forums say if i want best sound go with dsp. Im afraid if i do im gonna get charged crazy for tuning

So you think i definitely should get something to flatten the eq already? I guess its hard bc my last setup was with alpine cd player. I put sub setting on +15 tuned my amp and set crossovers at amp and 200hz at cd player for speakers. Sounded good to me. But with the cherokee i guess the head unit has a crap dsp in it and i was told at certain volumes its gonna make my frequencies go up and down because thats how the stock unit works i guess. So im confused on what to do.
I really dont understand why it won't sound good if i use a lc6i then run it to my amps and cross over/gains there. But people keep saying no matter how much i tune at the amp the built in dsp in the headunit is gonna make the frequencies different even if i tune them
Well if the factory head unit has some built in "smart" EQ function trying to tame what it does after the fact isn't going to really be your answer you would really want to replace it.

Sounds to me like simple line out converter(s) and relying on the amps to gain and crossover should be fine for what you're trying to accomplish. If the factory head unit is super sloppy, dirty, or noisy, adding DSP after the fact won't be a good fix.... garbage in--garbage out. I get the impression that you're not going to get your money's worth out of one of the fancy DSPs so try the cheapest line out converter option. Don't do a budget processor/eq though they are not worth adding to your signal chain.

Well if the factory head unit has some built in "smart" EQ function trying to tame what it does after the fact isn't going to really be your answer you would really want to replace it.
Sounds to me like simple line out converter(s) and relying on the amps to gain and crossover should be fine for what you're trying to accomplish. If the factory head unit is super sloppy, dirty, or noisy, adding DSP after the fact won't be a good fix.... garbage in--garbage out. I get the impression that you're not going to get your money's worth out of one of the fancy DSPs so try the cheapest line out converter option. Don't do a budget processor/eq though they are not worth adding to your signal chain.

from what i been told on the forums is this. Maybe you can read real quick i posted about speakers but they have told me about doing amps etc confused on depth for my 2013 jeep grand cherokee 6x9s - Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum

But basically i have to sum all the channels together because the factory dsp in head unit is crossed over at 55hz and above for the speakers and im not sure for the subs. They are saying i wont get good sound with just a LOC. Saying i need to go 5.1 to get the quality sound out of both the subwoofers and the speakers? I am just not too sure and i appreciate your help because i just spend $1000 on 2 12 dss ethos, i have polk 6.5 components going in the front, 6.5 polk coaxals in the rear. Im gonna power them with a ppi 900.4. Even though my car has 9 speakers im leaving the center speaker and the 2 rear pillar speakers alone as they wont make a huge difference. So realistacally im trying to wire 4 channel amp and 1 monoblock. But i really dont wanna change out the headunit. There are alot of things in the car that function off that.

I dont care about the center speaker, and the rear pillar speakers. Im concerned on powering the 4 door speakers with 1 amp, then 2 subs with another amp. Isnt a DSP more if your trying to do surround with 5.1 or more? Thanks again for your help when you get the chance.

is the kicker sum8 the same as audiocontrol lc6i? I see it says for summing of factory radio etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.