What's up with tuning to 35hz?

I agree with adulbrich. I like low tuning because I love them low lows and having a flatter curve for musical purposes. 35hz has a higher peak while still having an acceptable curve for SQ. Depends on a lot of things though.

35hz has better bandwidth towards reaching radio music bass and decaf style bass.

Tuning 32hz and lower leaves music on the radio with weak bass.

38hz and higher is better for burps and just daily music on the radio.

So in general 35hz would be a all around middle tuning

Sent from my Z970 using Tapatalk

Not so much at home, but I like to force alignments in the vehicle. Once you understand the thermal and mechanical limits of any driver, you can make it do what you want as lone as you respect both thermal and mechanical limits. This assumes the driver is the type of driver that wants to see a vented alignment to begin with, proper Qts, BL... that sort of thing. The rest is down to what you're after in terms of total system requirements, combined with your personal tastes. I'm talking music here, bandwidth AND power.

I personally love the region between 15hz and 28hz so, naturally, I tune to around 16-22hz. This controls cone motion into the teens and gives me incredible output because the enclosure is obviously most efficient here. The only concern is thermal handling in this region. I tend to hand over freqencies above 50hz to my front stage so I cross at around 40-50hz. My total effective bandwidth is usually from 12Hz to 50Hz so the majority of driver excursion takes place in the small region above my low tuning point and this is now mainly limited by the enclosure size and my applied low pass freq/Q. The bigger the enclosure, the more likely the driver will unload above tuning if too much power is applied. So higher power, smaller airspace. Overall, for my bandwidth, great cone control and lower distortion while reaching down into the teens. Yes, you will give up some overall output but not as much as people think. This type of tuning is far louder to the ear than the mic and is much more useful for musical listening enjoyment anyhow.

People tuning @ 35 are missing out on quite a bit since unloading beneath tuning creates out of phase energy pumping out of that vent, lol. Starting well before you've even begun to dip into the

Not so much at home, but I like to force alignments in the vehicle. Once you understand the thermal and mechanical limits of any driver, you can make it do what you want as lone as you respect both thermal and mechanical limits. This assumes the driver is the type of driver that wants to see a vented alignment to begin with, proper Qts, BL... that sort of thing. The rest is down to what you're after in terms of total system requirements, combined with your personal tastes. I'm talking music here, bandwidth AND power.
I personally love the region between 15hz and 28hz so, naturally, I tune to around 16-22hz. This controls cone motion into the teens and gives me incredible output because the enclosure is obviously most efficient here. The only concern is thermal handling in this region. I tend to hand over freqencies above 50hz to my front stage so I cross at around 40-50hz. My total effective bandwidth is usually from 12Hz to 50Hz so the majority of driver excursion takes place in the small region above my low tuning point and this is now mainly limited by the enclosure size and my applied low pass freq/Q. The bigger the enclosure, the more likely the driver will unload above tuning if too much power is applied. So higher power, smaller airspace. Overall, for my bandwidth, great cone control and lower distortion while reaching down into the teens. Yes, you will give up some overall output but not as much as people think. This type of tuning is far louder to the ear than the mic and is much more useful for musical listening enjoyment anyhow.

People tuning @ 35 are missing out on quite a bit since unloading beneath tuning creates out of phase energy pumping out of that vent, lol. Starting well before you've even begun to dip into the

Some of us want a flat response 20-80hz or close to it as possible. I don't listen to chopped and screwed all day. Like I said before, its more than just the tune

Some of us want a flat response 20-80hz or close to it as possible. I don't listen to chopped and screwed all day. Like I said before, its more than just the tune
Appreciated, but male vocals reach well down into the area 65Hz. For low power setups you can make an 80Hz low pass sound okay but not so much for high power setups.
I don't listen to chopped and screwed.. at all.

Appreciated, but male vocals reach well down into the area 65Hz. For low power setups you can make an 80Hz low pass sound okay but not so much for high power setups.
I don't listen to chopped and screwed.. at all.
Agree to disagree. Diversity is a great thing

Agree to disagree. Diversity is a great thing
Yeah, don't get me wrong. As I said, to each his own. Some people are after those lows and have no clue how to extract them. Just doing my part to offer my unique approach and maintain that diversity. Have to combat this one-note bass problem, somehow.

Yeah, don't get me wrong. As I said, to each his own. Some people are after those lows and have no clue how to extract them. Just doing my part to offer my unique approach and maintain that diversity. Have to combat this one-note bass problem, somehow.
I moved to the land of Kicker and prefabs. I'm trying my best to help it but the struggle is real

I've read a lot of peoples of boxes are tuned to 35 Hertz. Why is that the case?

Because someone on a forum said that they do it, or recommends it?

I'll wager if you ask those people they won't have a good explanation and they don't own an SPL meter or RTA and have never actually tested different tunings or use any modeling software before they build.

Because someone on a forum said that they do it, or recommends it?
I'll wager if you ask those people they won't have a good explanation and they don't own an SPL meter or RTA and have never actually tested different tunings or use any modeling software before they build.
Don't speak for everyone

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.