Amp Protect help...

Participant count
  • Participant list

OmegaBunny
10+ year member

I traded for an amp from another member here. Part of the deal was I test the equipment prior to sending my speakers out. So I set everything up on my workbench, wire everything up, have the gains turned all the way down, stereo at 0 volume, RCA's connected, and speaker wire connected. As I begin turning the volume up, gain still at 0, the subwoofer makes a quick popping sound and the amp goes into protect.

I reset everything, check all my connections to make sure no stray wire strands are touching, check the wiring at the subwoofer, check the RCA, etc. Turn everything back on, gains still set at 0, volume at 0. As I turn the volume up it goes into protect again. I re-check everything and try two or 3 more times with the same issue.

I unhook the speakers and rca and it stays on fine, no protect.

I hook up the RCA's, turn up the volume, and no issues.

I hook up the speakers, turn up the volume and it goes into protect.

I check the impedance @ the woofer and its setting at just about .9 ohms. (Amp is 1 ohm stable)

I switch the phase and check all the settings and it still goes into protect.

Anyone have any ideas?

Battery is sitting at 12.46v and never drops.

Amp is a Arc Audio XDi 2000.1

Thanks

Hmm. I'm thinking amplifier as well. Going into protect so soon and only when a load is on the outputs is odd, though. Makes me think 'short'.

You try swapping the amp out just to see one way or the other?

I want to check my ground tonight. I have it all hooked up to my battery and my battery is grounded to my welding table. I don't think it's a bad ground but I'll hook it up in my car and check it out. Hopefully it's not a bad amp //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif

And thanks for the welcome back. I've been back for maybe 6 months or so but just haven't posted much. It's so nice now that my son is getting older and I can have some of my cargo space back

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.