Power supply idea

nismotwin
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
virginia
Within the next year i will be doing a wall build in my 99 altima. I'm going to put an idea out there. I'm limited on alternator power for a couple reasons. Only a 250 amp high output alt is available. Also i lack to room to fab and install multiple alts. So my idea is to run multiple alts off an electric motor. I've already found a 12volt motor that operates at 1,750 rpm and i can mess with pulley diameters to get the alts to spin at a speed that is equal to them being on an engine at 2000rpm. I haven't heard of anyone doing this other than for home generator use and i can't be the only one to think of this. So my question is has it been tried and, why did it not work? Thank you everyone for your input.

It takes power to make power. You cannot create more power than you put in, so while using an electric motor to generate electricity is possible, you will get less power out than you put in. Home generators use gasoline engines to generate power.

So i would use the cars electrical system to power the electric motor and the alternators the motor is turning will power the amps. Isolating the stereo's power supply from the car. Powering the electric motor feom the car. If that makes sense.

So i would use the cars electrical system to power the electric motor and the alternators the motor is turning will power the amps. Isolating the stereo's power supply from the car. Powering the electric motor feom the car. If that makes sense.
Yeah, I'm not saying it wouldn't work. What I'm saying is you cannot generate more power than what you put in to the system. So if your electric motor draws 100A, your extra alternators might produce 80A. Your idea violates the law of conservation of energy.

Alternators take power from the engine. The greater the current draw on the alternator, the greater the torque load on the engine. This is why vehicles running multiple alternators have decreased fuel efficiency.

The bottom line is, you cannot CREATE power, it can only be converted from one form to another. Engines convert gasoline to a physical force which alternators then convert into electricity. You cannot take electricity and convert it into more electricity.

The electric motor has a 40 amp draw. The electric motor is powered by the vehicle's electrical system. The electric motor is turning say two mechman 350 alts. Those alts are powering the amps and charging the xs power batteries for the amps. I value your opinion for sure but, how is that any different than the 350 amp mechman alts being on the engine? They are still being driven by a motor. I can counter the drag the alts induce when current draw from the amps is high with a higher horsepower electric motor. Like i said i do value your and any ones knowledge and opinion but i just need more of an explanation why that doesn't work.

The electric motor has a 40 amp draw. The electric motor is powered by the vehicle's electrical system. The electric motor is turning say two mechman 350 alts. Those alts are powering the amps and charging the xs power batteries for the amps. I value your opinion for sure but, how is that any different than the 350 amp mechman alts being on the engine? They are still being driven by a motor. I can counter the drag the alts induce when current draw from the amps is high with a higher horsepower electric motor. Like i said i do value your and any ones knowledge and opinion but i just need more of an explanation why that doesn't work.
Google the law of conservation of energy. Alternators attached to engines use gasoline as their power source, you're talking about using electricity to generate more electricity. I don't have time to give you a crash course in physics.

Think about it, if you could take an electric motor and use it to create more electricity than you put in, it would be free energy...for everyone. It just doesn't work like that.

Think about it, if you could take an electric motor and use it to create more electricity than you put in, it would be free energy...for everyone. It just doesn't work like that.
Nah, it'll work. He just needs to add another motor/generator combo to make up for power losses from the first motor/gen combo.

it wont work out to be that way as bubba said. it just wont. all sources of energy that are considered efficient use a stronger energy to convert into another such as the sun or wind.

spend the money and try it if you would like. I suggest buying very common alts so you can recoup the cash when you sell them

Ok ok i see what your saying now. Guess im just being a little bull headed...lol. It'll take a 100 amp electric motor to get 100 amps of current from an alternator and thats concidering 100% effeincy which nothing is. I'm still taking your advice on studying up the laws of energy just to make myself a little smarter.

Ok ok i see what your saying now. Guess im just being a little bull headed...lol. It'll take a 100 amp electric motor to get 100 amps of current from an alternator and thats concidering 100% effeincy which nothing is. I'm still taking your advice on studying up the laws of energy just to make myself a little smarter.
Exactly now you're getting it. And both your motor and your alternator have less than 100% efficiency which means you'll get wayyy less than 100A output.

now you're getting it. your 40 amp electric motor wont even spin if you tried to hook a fully loaded (as in current draw) 350 amp alternator to it

So much facepalm, lol
C'mon now, I've said the same thing to myself when reading many of your posts. The guy was at least trying to solve his problem. Plus he admitted that he was off a bit in his thinking.
+1 OP.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.