amp repair?

Participant count
  • Participant list
does anybody repair amps on here? i have a phoenix gold xs2500 that i love but the gain control creates a nasty sound through the speakers while adjusting the gain, like a record scratching sound, and cuts power to the speakers half the time. i really have to play with it to get it to work right.

If you're OK with opening the amp up yourself, that problem can often be fixed by spraying a cleaner solution into the gain control and rotating it back and forth. This assumes of course that the control is an "open" style and not sealed. If the control is sealed, it'll need to be replaced.

Radioshack - Products

Unsolder it & remove it, then measure the resistance across the outer terminals. That's the resistance value. If the amp is 2 channel then the control will have 2 identical 3 terminal sections. Then go to Mouser electronics or DigiKey and search their list of "potentiometers". You'll need to find something with the same physical size and terminals.

Since it's a gain control, you will want an "audio taper" pot.

search example -

dual audio potentiometer | Mouser Electronics, Inc.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.