Mid Bass Not Sounding Smooth?

Participant count
  • Participant list

legaspi89
10+ year member

Chino CA
I have the Alpine SPR 6.5 Component speakers paired with an Alpine PDX f4 amp. Everything sounds good except i'm getting muddy/muffled mid bass on a few songs(CD Quality). I have the HPF set at 80 hz. When I go higher than 80 hz or decrease the Bass Level from +2 to zero on my alpine head unit, it does take away some of the muffled mid bass out but that result leaves me with very little mid bass where its sounds a little too tinny. How can I fix this situation?

FYI, My doors do not rattle at all. I can actually put the Bass pretty high on my Alpine Component speakers, its just that i'm not getting that smooth midbass. I'm getting that long oooooooooommmmm sound.

Remember just on a few songs i have this situation with. On most songs, the mid bass is ok. But i know those few songs i come across, should not be having that over exaggerated oooooommmm sound. I want to be more specific. The first two seconds of this song is the type of mid bass that i'm describing about i get from certain songs.

Goes to show, nice speaker and nice amp does nothing when other parts of the install might not be up to par. That song is basically emphasized 60-200hz range but mainly lots of 100hz basslines.

Do these two.

That should put you in the proper accoustical environment for your speakers to play midbass properly. By then if you are still not happy, then you need different speakers that can play down to that range or some sound quality subwoofers that can play high up to that range cleanly.

I see. The only thing is that I dont really like doing the work myself since I get very frustrated easily as well as misplacing screws/bolts, and just turns out to be a big mess if I were to treat my own doors.

So, here's where I stand. Ever since I got my Alpine CDE-HD149BT head unit which replaced my old 2 volt kenwood head unit, I told myself I have a complete system. No more spending. But I see how this Alpine head unit gives my speakers a level up in sound.

My kenwood head unit: Povides Decent sound quality/Less Speaker Harshness/Average Mid Bass somewhat/Distorts certain songs a little more

My Alpine Head unit: Provides less distortion, Provides Great Sound Quality/More Speaker Harshness in which I have to lower the treble Eq and decrease a little lower on the HPF to get the Warmer sound and the sound I been looking for. The only thing is the midbass sound on certain songs.

So with this situation, I can either go back to my kenwood head unit which will reduce sound quality/less signal, but still does everything(including the mid bass sound) solid.

Or spend more money to get doors treated, however will be a a lot better with the sound.

Tough decision on my hands.

Have not made a decision yet, however i also notice on certain songs, the vocals also sound too boomy. On hip hop,funk, and RnB, my alpines sound perfect with these genres. When i play oldies, few songs in that genre I hear the vocals souding too boomy which was not like that before on my kenwood head unit. Can treating the doors also fix this type of vocal problem?

Well, Here's my update. I went back to my kenwood and I'm super happy now. My Mids sound good, My Highs sound good, got the JL Audio jl audio 12w3v3-2 Bumpin good. Its a win win. That boomy vocal problem i was getting from the mids in no longer there. Still I thank you guys for the replies/suggestions. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.