SPL vs Compact Build

SimulatedZero
10+ year member

Alright guys, I'm stuck trying to compromise between space, volume, and SQ.

Bottom line is this, I'm trying to keep the performance I have now, just in a smaller enclosure. And if it's possible, maybe even increase SQL or SPL.

My current setup is 2 Polk Dxi's wired to 1 ohm in a 6 ft^3 box ported at 28 hz running around 500w RMS. I've had this setup for 3 years and it sounds beautiful. Very clear bass all the way down the line and a very even response curve from 50hz down, to my ear at least. It hits into the low to mid 140's if I push it really hard.

I want to keep that even sound, that deep reach, and that volume, but having a kid on the way and moving around a lot means I need more space back.

What I've been looking at is either two 12's with a long excursion in a sealed box or two decent 15's in a sealed box. I've been eyeing either two Sundown e12's or e15's or maybe sticking with Polk and getting two MM1540's.

I know the trade offs for sealed and ported, I just don't have a box or tuning program avalaible right now to play around with. I'm also open to a single ported fifteen, but I'm not sure I would get the smooth response curve I want on less than 4 ft^3 and I was hoping to stay under that size.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Alright guys, I'm stuck trying to compromise between space, volume, and SQ.
Bottom line is this, I'm trying to keep the performance I have now, just in a smaller enclosure. And if it's possible, maybe even increase SQL or SPL.

My current setup is 2 Polk Dxi's wired to 1 ohm in a 6 ft^3 box ported at 28 hz running around 500w RMS. I've had this setup for 3 years and it sounds beautiful. Very clear bass all the way down the line and a very even response curve from 50hz down, to my ear at least. It hits into the low to mid 140's if I push it really hard.

I want to keep that even sound, that deep reach, and that volume, but having a kid on the way and moving around a lot means I need more space back.

What I've been looking at is either two 12's with a long excursion in a sealed box or two decent 15's in a sealed box. I've been eyeing either two Sundown e12's or e15's or maybe sticking with Polk and getting two MM1540's.

I know the trade offs for sealed and ported, I just don't have a box or tuning program avalaible right now to play around with. I'm also open to a single ported fifteen, but I'm not sure I would get the smooth response curve I want on less than 4 ft^3 and I was hoping to stay under that size.

Any thoughts or suggestions?
Why not switch to a pair of beefy 10s in 3-3.5 cubes ported..i switched from a pair of hdc4 12s to a pair of hdd 10s and lost very little output and gained half my trunk back ..although im running over 4k to my subs ..it still should be good enough for you on ur power and gain the space u want ..i wouldnt go sealed either route

Why not switch to a pair of beefy 10s in 3-3.5 cubes ported..i switched from a pair of hdc4 12s to a pair of hdd 10s and lost very little output and gained half my trunk back ..although im running over 4k to my subs ..it still should be good enough for you on ur power and gain the space u want ..i wouldnt go sealed either route
I gave it a little thought, but I havent seen anything in my price range for two of them. I'm looking at 140 a sub tops as I'm already getting a new amp and still have to build the box. Otherwise this would be a whole different conversation.

I gave it a little thought, but I havent seen anything in my price range for two of them. I'm looking at 140 a sub tops as I'm already getting a new amp and still have to build the box. Otherwise this would be a whole different conversation.
Why not go with a pair of soundqubed hds210 or hds310 the 200 series are 600rms and the 300 series are 1200 rms...the 200 series are 95 each and the 300 are 149 and free shipping for the extra 50 bucks the 300 series is alot beefier sub ..give them a look

---------- Post added at 04:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:34 PM ----------

SoundQubed HDS310

Sundown Audio Ev2 10

Both of those are pretty solid options. The tantrics would definitely throw down the volume, not sure on the sq though. I don't know much about the brand to be honest. The sundowns are priced right and play clean, but would they be able keep up with my current set up?

Both of those are pretty solid options. The tantrics would definitely throw down the volume, not sure on the sq though. I don't know much about the brand to be honest. The sundowns are priced right and play clean, but would they be able keep up with my current set up?
those polk dxi's are like baby toys compared to the lower end sundown e series..

Also follow up on current tantric business issues, it is not currently brand hate, its more of all around bad business.

Yea i wasnt saying buy tantrics ..bad business right now ..i built mine and they are awesome. Iwpuldnt have bought from them new but the sundowns are leaps and bounds better than the polks you have now as are the soundqubed

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.