Kenwood Excelon DNN992 or Pioneer AVIC-8100NEX?

Participant count
  • Participant list

Vailen
Premium Member

Premium Member
NJ
Hello everyone. I am looking to upgrade my stock radio in my 2012 Volkswagon Beetle (double din; without Fender Audio) to a better system.

I have narrowed my search to two possibilities:

Kenwood DNN592

Pioneer AVIC-8100NEX

Both have good reviews on various forums. However, I was hoping to have feedback from people on this forum. Does anyone have experience with either of these head units?

Also, I am open to other possibilities I may have overlooked. My budget for the head unit is $1500. I could go a little higher if someone recommends a head unit that is truly exceptional. (All other accessories like speakers, pre-amp, etc., will happen at a later time. For now I will be using stock speakers.)

My primary use for this system will be as follows (in order of priority):

(1) GPS navigation with traffic alerts and route change calculations, etc. The more sophisticated the better.

(2) HD Radio

(3) SiriusXM radio compatibility (I plan on buying the tuner)

(4) iPhone wireless integration for both voice calls and music (e.g., Bluetooth)

(5) Backup camera option

(6) Steering wheel mounted controls

(7) Additional camera options like side cameras for lane changing (very low priority and can do without if not available).

Your assistance is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

8100NEX would give you the option of CarPlay. The additional cameras will depend on external electronics to do the video switching, although it might use the backup camera trigger wire to switch the display. There aren't any head units that I know of that offer specific support for anything but a backup camera and sometimes 1 additional camera.

Thank you Trumpet. I like the CarPlay feature. I have two more questions regarding the Pioneer.

(1) Can the Pioneer also interface with the onboard car diagnostics like the Kenwood can using the optional iDatalink)?

(2) Is the Pioneer's GPS navigation system just as good as Kenwood's, especially since Kenwood uses Garmin?

Based on what I have learned, Kenwood is slightly better on GPS navigation and connecting with onboard car diagnostics. The Pioneer is much better for connecting with the iPhone, especially CarPlay.

#1 above would be nice to have, but not a deal breaker. #2 above is of much greater importance since I will use the GPS and all of its functions very often.

Thanks for your help! Your feedback is greatly appreciated.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.