2chan amp, 2 terminal box, one wire??

Participant count
  • Participant list

jhhite123

I'm not a pro at stereo installs but can easily switch out amp or subs as it's extremely simple. My problem is this. My fiance had her amp go to crap and her friend sold her the amp she had, a Memphis 16-st300 and her friend gave her the 2 12 memphis subs since it doesn't fit in new smaller car. Problem I'm having is it'sa channel amp, 2 terminal box but her previous system want and there is only the single wire ran. Is it safe, advisable, possible? Or do I need to get her new box and just bridge or do I need to try to run 2 smaller wires than what she's got now? Any and all help is greatly appreciated. TY to anyone who can help me to figure out how to get tunes back in her car.

Thank you

Jeremy

I'm sry, yes. There is one +&- wire that will carty plenty of power but there is a output for each speaker. The amp and subs came as a package I guess. Can I connect the speakers together thru just one of the outputs? I dont imagine I can just split wire at each end and stick 1/4 in each hole... right? Lol

e: 2chan amp, 2 terminal box, one wire??

I'm sry, yes. There is one +&- wire that will carty plenty of power but there is a output for each speaker. The amp and subs came as a package I guess. Can I connect the speakers together thru just one of the outputs? I dont imagine I can just split wire at each end and*stick*1/4*in each hole... right? Lol

Problem I'm having is it'sa channel amp, 2 terminal box but her previous system want and there is only the single wire ran.
I'm sry, yes. There is one +&- wire that will carty plenty of power but there is a output for each speaker.
Dude... you really need to proofread your posts before pushing the submit button.

If the subs are wired to 4 ohms you should be able to combine both channels of the amp together (called bridging) and wire it to your sub's 2 terminals.

I apologize for not being able to convey properly the question. I am the guy who loves a great system in my cars but truly know very little about the ohms and bridging and all that. To be perfectly honest from your response and the other that I got I'm honestly still quite uncertain. Also, from what you wrote and the other that tried to help it seems to be contradicting. Plz bare with me I truly am great full for all the help I can get. Can you plz explain how I tell how to know what the 2 12" subs are wired at? Honest, all in really know is that the speakers are not joined by the same hook up on back of box like the box my fiance traded off. The amp that got fried was just a Rockford amp of 325W and had a single + & - going from it to the single terminal or I guess it's called an output is what I was told on here. This Memphis amp has 2 sets of + & - and the box has the 2 terminals. Again, I apologize if I am not explaining this correctly or maybe I'm just audio system "illiterate" but I am just not getting it. Are you saying that I can take the singlead + & - wire from amp and somehow split it to the 2 different terminals for each of the 2 sub? Any chance you can explain it to someone in laymen terms? I would very much appreciate it as would my girl. She has been very restless to get her suv bumping down the road again. Thank u for your help Maylar.

There are 2 ways to do this.

1) You can run each channel to its own sub. That would require opening the box, rewiring the subs, and either adding another pair of terminals or just use wires poked through a hole in the box.

or...

2) Your amp is capable of being "bridged", which means the 2 channels are configured such that they can be combined into one. You would use the outer 2 terminals on the amp's + - + - terminal strip.

There is a caveat for that - you need to be certain that the subs do not present less than 4 ohms of load, else you can damage the amp. If you can get an ohmmeter (or a DMM) measure the resistance between the 2 terminals. If it's around 4 ohms then bridging would be safe.

Awesome! Thank you very much. Completely understand that. I'm sry if it was a bit frustrating to explain to an audio laymen. I will go hook it up right now. I truly do appreciate your help as I'm sure quite a number of others like myself have also. My girl will be elated. I hope you a great day bud.

Thanks again,

Jeremy

I have just one more question if u don't mind. I've also got a bandpass box with a couple mtx6000 10" subs I've had for quite a few years but work great. They only have the single terminal on the box that brings power to the subs. She wants to hear them as well and was just wondering if you thought that they can handle that amp bridged or is it an option to just use one of the channels of the amp? I don't know if both channels need to be hooked up to a speaker or bridged or if I can just use one of the 2 channels. If u think it's safe to put the power of the bridged amp I'd like to show her that so she can decide what she likes best.

Thanks in advance.

Jeremy

I have just one more question if u don't mind. I've also got a bandpass box with a couple mtx6000 10" subs I've had for quite a few years but work great. They only have the single terminal on the box that brings power to the subs. She wants to hear them as well and was just wondering if you thought that they can handle that amp bridged or is it an option to just use one of the channels of the amp? I don't know if both channels need to be hooked up to a speaker or bridged or if I can just use one of the 2 channels. If u think it's safe to put the power of the bridged amp I'd like to show her that so she can decide what she likes best. Thanks in advance.

Jeremy
Just use a multi meter to make sure the ohms resistance is NOT less then 4 ohms. If it's 2 use only one channel.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.