how much is too much port area?

Participant count
  • Participant list

8thGenSI
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
Building a box for my 1993 chevy k2500 extended cab truck, loading the box with 2 18" crossfire XS-V2's powered by 2 B2 Audio Zero.1's strapped. I have the outside of the box built and am now starting with the port. I am looking for a 35-36 hz tune, I have gotten this accomplished but have a port area of about 23.63 sq in/cube. What do you guys think... too much?

Ya that's too much. I would personally tune lower. Daily, I typically wouldn't go over 16 in^2 per cube but there is some situations where you would want to. My 2 18's box has 12.3 in^2 per cube. How much power are you running?

Very nice SSA EVIL subs ; )
But I get em cheaper then a I can get a pair of Evils lol.

Ya that's too much. I would personally tune lower. Daily, I typically wouldn't go over 16 in^2 per cube but there is some situations where you would want to. My 2 18's box has 12.3 in^2 per cube. How much power are you running?
I have ran a few different subs and boxes tuned as low as 28 hz, the only thing I didn't like was I didn't get a very good bandwidth at all when tuned at 38 hz. Even with the current box I have which is tuned to 34 hz I peak at around 28 hz on the meter, this is the second box that I have tuned to 34 hz and peaked lower then 30 hz. I am not really chasing numbers but I do listen to a big variety of music. I adjusted my calculations and got the port area down to 14.39 sq in/cube and maintained the 35.32 hz. If I am doing something wrong to get a peak at much lower then my tuned frequency please let me know, I am pretty new to the design process.

Appreciate the help Buck, I know you have designed a box or two in your day.

Who was the Buddy? Yea it's loud haha. I build my own boxes ; )
I'll sell a warden if you want
I honestly forget. He was a dude I met at our local vape shop.

I have no monies //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif

I think alot of folks use way too much port area for music systems... I suggested 12 in^2 per cube for a local guy running 6 of the new X-12 v.2 subs in a wall -- results are ~159 dB @ 37 Hz withone window down / 158 dB sealed on the dash with rated power per sub per the TL Magnum sensors.

Also has awesome bandwidth.

But I get em cheaper then a I can get a pair of Evils lol.

I have ran a few different subs and boxes tuned as low as 28 hz, the only thing I didn't like was I didn't get a very good bandwidth at all when tuned at 38 hz. Even with the current box I have which is tuned to 34 hz I peak at around 28 hz on the meter, this is the second box that I have tuned to 34 hz and peaked lower then 30 hz. I am not really chasing numbers but I do listen to a big variety of music. I adjusted my calculations and got the port area down to 14.39 sq in/cube and maintained the 35.32 hz. If I am doing something wrong to get a peak at much lower then my tuned frequency please let me know, I am pretty new to the design process.

Appreciate the help Buck, I know you have designed a box or two in your day.
Ah, you have a truck. Pickup trucks can have some funky acoustics sometimes. What's your port mach or m/s (air velocity)? The higher you tune, the more port area you want.

I think alot of folks use way too much port area for music systems... I suggested 12 in^2 per cube for a local guy running 6 of the new X-12 v.2 subs in a wall -- results are ~159 dB @ 37 Hz withone window down / 158 dB sealed on the dash with rated power per sub per the TL Magnum sensors.
My goals are pretty modest I think, I would like to get into the 150-152 db range. I would like to do this while maintaining a decent bandwidth, I'm not looking for a super low end monster but would be nice to be audible while moving some air. Will there be a big difference between 12^2 and 14^2?

Ah, you have a truck. Pickup trucks can have some funky acoustics sometimes. What's your port mach or m/s (air velocity)? The higher you tune, the more port area you want.
Tell me about it... I have had a hard time getting numbers out of this truck. I have had a few people hear my current sub stage and swear it is doing over a 150, it seems to load great at the headrest but looses tons of steam at the dash. it could be something as simple as raising the box position a few inches from what I understand.

As far as the m/s goes, to be honest I have no idea what it is or how to determine what it is.

Hard to type after a few beers when you don't drink very often //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

I'd love to have that much port area and tune low. I sacrificed bandwidth for more port area while keeping low tuning.

It's not what most people want, but I wanted a ground-pounder for demos and I'd like to hairtrick when I get the other sub back in.

Right now it doesn't play everything well, but the songs it does play well certainly slam

I've definitely had the most success running between 12-14 per with your SA line. They sing lol.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.