PC Audio: External amp for DAC

Participant count
  • Participant list

Big Ry
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
Let me preface this post by saying I'm a novice to computer audio.

I was looking for a budget audio upgrade for the computer in my office. And by budget, I mean ideally sub $200 lol. So after doing a little research, I decided to purchase the Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi HD (SB1240) DAC/Amp and some low end but decently rated ear buds (FSL AL13). The biggest concern with a setup is that I do not have (and cannot get) permissions to install third party software or drivers on my machine. I decided on the SB1240, because from what I've read the drivers and software aren't needed if only using it for 3.5mm or RCA out...and it supposedly has great DACs for the $$$.

I got the equipment setup, but the output on the new ear buds is screwy. Certain mid-high frequencies are very quiet (mostly the vocal part for some reason), and there's a very pronounced 'hallway' effect. I tried two other sets of headphones, and they worked properly. I tried a co-worker's Audioengine D1 with my ear buds and they work fine on it (they also work fine on my machines internal card). And lastly I tried the SB1240 & ear buds on my personal laptop with all Creative software and drivers installed...no dice, same issue. Despite the fact that the SB1240 is spec'd to handle drivers "up to 330 Ohm", I'm thinking that perhaps my 16 Ohm ear buds are too low resistance.

I'm planning to get new headphones, but from my testing it seems the SB1240 amp isn't going to be very powerful on higher resistance headphones. So I was wondering what you all might suggest as far as in-line amps and new headphones. I listen to a variety of genres, rap/hip-hop and house predominately but also metal and pop. I realize I'm starting with crap music files, but I can't help but use Google Music (at 320kbps). I don't want a stack of like a million CDs in my office to get stolen, and I can't load up my HDD with FLAC files. Also, much of my music was purchased on Google Music anyway, so I'm stuck with 320kbps MP3s for that music. I'm looking for something on the cheap, but a good bang-for-buck setup. What do you all think of the Monoprice 8323 DJ headphones? They're mad cheap but get great reviews. I've always had a great experience with Monoprice too.

Those Monoprice headphones are a good value.

I recently bought some Sony headphones on ebay that were even a little cheaper than those Monoprice, full sized sealed ear cups, 50mm drivers, and the MSRP is $149 (I paid less than $20).....

%24_12.JPG

Sony DR-ZX701IP Black Studio Monitor Headphones

Price:

US $19.99

FREE Economy Shipping

Sony Dr ZX701IP Black Studio Monitor Headphones Manufacturer Refurbised 027242833265 | eBay

They sound great!

Those Monoprice headphones are a good value.
I recently bought some Sony headphones on ebay that were even a little cheaper than those Monoprice, full sized sealed ear cups, 50mm drivers, and the MSRP is $149 (I paid less than $20).....

%24_12.JPG

Sony DR-ZX701IP Black Studio Monitor Headphones

Price:

US $19.99

FREE Economy Shipping

Sony Dr ZX701IP Black Studio Monitor Headphones Manufacturer Refurbised 027242833265 | eBay

They sound great!
You think these are better than the monoprice? They have about the same rating on amazon.

You think these are better than the monoprice? They have about the same rating on amazon.
I dont know, I've never heard the Monoprice,

I do know the Sony's seem to have a bigger following on HeadFi.com, an audiophile headphone website.

They are supposedly the same headphones as Sony's pro model ZX700, only they have the plug for iPhone, which makes no difference on my PC, it still works fine.

330ohms is quite high for a headphone. Ive only seen a couple sets higher than that at 600ohm and they are way outside your $200 budget.

Also anyone who recommends a headphone without asking which type of sound signature you prefer I would take with a grain of salt. That being said do you prefer open back headphones, closed back headphones, IEM's etc? What type of sound signature do you like? Do you like U shaped, V Shaped, etc. Do you prefer a low end emphasis?

As far as amps/dacs thats an easy one and you are pretty limited in your choices with a $200 budget for both headphones/amp.

One of the decent headphone dac/amps under $200 is still around $130-$170 depending on if you get it from an authorized dealer or not. The Fiio E17

FiiO ALPEN2 E17K USB DAC Headphone Amplifier | eBay

I would honestly recommend going with a used Schiit Vali/Modi or Schiit Magni/Modi dac/amp combo. The Vali is the better amp over the Magni if you like the sound of a tube amp, but both can get the job done. You can get a used set of Vali/Modi for under $170 and it outclasses the Fiio products 10 fold. The Magni/Modi also outclasses the Fiio equipment by a good margin, and is a little cheaper than the Vali/Modi combo. Can usually be had for around $120 used.

I use the Vali/Modi/Wyrd combo in my office with a set of AKG K612 Pro or Aurisonics ASG 2.0 IEM's.

FS: Schiit Stack = Vali + modi

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.