Kenwood DNX 8120 Problem

Participant count
  • Participant list

SRim23
5,000+ posts

CarAudio.com Veteran
OH
This is going to be long, please bare with me. I'll add cliffs notes but I like to explain a little more.

A year ago a coffee waterfall poured down my gfs dash and over my DNX 8120. Immediately the screen goes dark, stays powered on but no response from buttons. A few days later it still powered on/off, eject button opens the screen as normal, still a black screen. Assume it's dead, chalk it up to a loss.

Fast forward a year of procrastination and just life in general, still the same. Powers on/off ,nothing on screen, still opens. Girlfriends battery dies in her car and she gets a jump. Immediately radio comes back on and the unit asks for the password, works just fine like nothing happened.

Next morning, start the car, back to previous symptoms. Push the reset button, works just fine. Now every time you start the car HU only works if you reset it.

Ideas? Something simple to fix?

CLIFFS NOTES

Spilled coffee on HU

Screen black but unit powers on

Year later battery dies, once jumped HU works

Reset button needs pushed every time car is turned on for it to work.

Help me out guys!

This is going to be long, please bare with me. I'll add cliffs notes but I like to explain a little more.
A year ago a coffee waterfall poured down my gfs dash and over my DNX 8120. Immediately the screen goes dark, stays powered on but no response from buttons. A few days later it still powered on/off, eject button opens the screen as normal, still a black screen. Assume it's dead, chalk it up to a loss.

Fast forward a year of procrastination and just life in general, still the same. Powers on/off ,nothing on screen, still opens. Girlfriends battery dies in her car and she gets a jump. Immediately radio comes back on and the unit asks for the password, works just fine like nothing happened.

Next morning, start the car, back to previous symptoms. Push the reset button, works just fine. Now every time you start the car HU only works if you reset it.

Ideas? Something simple to fix?

CLIFFS NOTES

Spilled coffee on HU

Screen black but unit powers on

Year later battery dies, once jumped HU works

Reset button needs pushed every time car is turned on for it to work.

Help me out guys!
id take it apart and use electronics and contact cleaner and go over the board and switches real good...you may want to use an electronics brush if you see any corrosion that might need cleaning...then hopefully this will get it back working properly for you

id take it apart and use electronics and contact cleaner and go over the board and switches real good...you may want to use an electronics brush if you see any corrosion that might need cleaning...then hopefully this will get it back working properly for you
Kind of what I was trying to avoid. Opening it up makes me a little nervous, hence the year long procrastination. Lol

I know my way around installing but that is where my knowledge of electronics ends really. Was hoping maybe a clue of why magically killing the battery and pushing reset has it working intermittently. Thanks for the tip. Since I know there's a little life left, as a last resort I'll definitely do it. For a year I just assumed it was a lost cause.

Kind of what I was trying to avoid. Opening it up makes me a little nervous, hence the year long procrastination. Lol
I know my way around installing but that is where my knowledge of electronics ends really. Was hoping maybe a clue of why magically killing the battery and pushing reset has it working intermittently. Thanks for the tip. Since I know there's a little life left, as a last resort I'll definitely do it. For a year I just assumed it was a lost cause.
Which you know this...but the yellow wire maintains system memory... ...but your not really losing memory its going in a mode that needs reset ...of course after reset ...you have to set up all your settings...How about if both red and yellow are tied to positive unswitched lead...and you manually turn the deck on and off with the power button ? That might saving tearing into it

If your coffee had sugar in it and im sure that it has crystalized and possibly cooked/caked on the board,possibly burnt a wire off.It will still need to be cleaned off or it will continue till it finally bakes the board completely, as most HUs run warm/hot at times.id take it apart and clean it up, or take it to like a computer repair shop(those guys are very good at testing and taking the time to clean to detail)might cost you 50 bucks?..

If your coffee had sugar in it and im sure that it has crystalized and possibly cooked/caked on the board,possibly burnt a wire off.It will still need to be cleaned off or it will continue till it finally bakes the board completely, as most HUs run warm/hot at times.id take it apart and clean it up, or take it to like a computer repair shop(those guys are very good at testing and taking the time to clean to detail)might cost you 50 bucks?..
If a wire is burnt, any clue why it would work after being reset? Is it maybe shorting all over again every time it's turned on and off? Again, I don't know how any of that works so I'm just guessing.

And it was a caramel machiatto... probably more sugar than coffee. Hahaha

If a wire is burnt, any clue why it would work after being reset? Is it maybe shorting all over again every time it's turned on and off? Again, I don't know how any of that works so I'm just guessing.
And it was a caramel machiatto... probably more sugar than coffee. Hahaha
Its actually the solder joint that gets melted with heat that moves or puddles up and could be puddled into the next solder connection on the board..I say this because Ive had it happen to an old Autotek BTS 7050 that a kid spilt a soda on drunk, and cracked it open tofind the sugar crystalized and melted the solder joints on the board.The sugar just about burnt a hole in the board..My +&- connections were both HOT when I tried to hook it back up before cracking it open to find the issue.Sugar burns a long time and gets hotter than hell

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.