Which capacitor?

Participant count
  • Participants list

IndyStreetRacer
10+ year member

I'm looking for capacitors to use on our slot car track. Our power supplies run 14 to 16 volts and we need 2 caps per lane for the track. When researching them I've found that most don't come close to the farad rating. We need good quality. Any recommendations are greatly appreciated.

How much current do your cars draw?

A quick search got 2-20A which is a pretty big range to account for.

I guess if you're running something big on the high side you'd be looking at ~250w at 13v.

A 1f cap amounts to 20-25 w-s or 40-50w for 1/2s, 80-100w for 1/4 sec etc.

I don't think you can have TOO much capacitance -- it would be a like alternator current, what the device doesn't need will just continue to be stored in the cap.

It seems like something in the 3-5F range would give you all the burst power you'd ever need.

I don't know anything about ratings vs actual from brand to brand, but I'm guessing the price tag is a pretty good indicator.

If a 10f stinger cap is $155 I seriously doubt Boss is getting it done for $58.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.