Need help from someone with experience or knowledge.

i2ain2thunder
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Veteran
st paul, mn
Hi guys

I was in a car accident a little while back and the other person was at fault. The damages to my vehicle's engine were enough to cause their insurance to want to total it and cut me a settlement check.

The problem with that is they aren't factoring my audio system in yet. Do any of you know exactly what their insurance would be responsible for as far as my audio system?

I installed it all myself, but I can find bank transactions and paypal transactions and amounts for the equipment.

How much would they have to pay for the equipment? What I paid? A depreciated value?

Would they be responsible for any installation fees? They asked for an installation invoice and I told the guy it was custom I installed it myself.

ive heard if the audio equipment cant be removed or is necessary for the car to work (i.e. your amp is necessary for your speakers to work, just like your hu) then its covered.

Tell them to f off your getting your equipment. They can give you the equipment or fix the car.

Who's insurance yours or theirs? If it's theirs talk to your insurance about it. Their insurance will low ball your vehicle with comped vehicles from smaller cities, bigger cities cars appraise higher.

Hi guys
I was in a car accident a little while back and the other person was at fault. The damages to my vehicle's engine were enough to cause their insurance to want to total it and cut me a settlement check.

The problem with that is they aren't factoring my audio system in yet. Do any of you know exactly what their insurance would be responsible for as far as my audio system?

I installed it all myself, but I can find bank transactions and paypal transactions and amounts for the equipment.

How much would they have to pay for the equipment? What I paid? A depreciated value?

Would they be responsible for any installation fees? They asked for an installation invoice and I told the guy it was custom I installed it myself.
since you wern't at fault you should be entitled to your equipment...i know i had a car towed once due to a hit and run drunk driver....and while in the tow yard...my whole system was stolen...and i never revered anything for it...because i didnt have receipts showing what was in it....the tow yard had tall fences with razor wire...security cameras and guard dogs...but my car was parked out of sight for the cameras...on top i got nailed with the fees and repair cost because it was a hit and run and not covered by comprehensive insurance...

They will not cover it differently..They consider an over all total amount for the vehicle at lost and thats it.I luckly removed all my chits in my last Acura Integra,as I went through the same BS on another vehicle and lost everything in a yard as LousianaCRX on Private Property.I did get some reimbursements on new auto repairs made and upgrades to come out ahead with receipts,such as new axles,transmission/new stage 3 clutch,coils,and alot of others, but needed receipts for proof.I actually got what I had in the car,by not excepting theyre low ball pay-off.Took some time, but I wasnt willing to take less,and luckly I had other transportation to get to work in.Insurance Co. will scam you out of every dollar they can not to pay for anything within a claim.So if you do not have receits,its not going to be in your favor,and if you havent accepted your total payout,its still your vehicle and you should be able to get your whats in your car.If you dont leave an hu, that will be a portion off of your claim,as its a part of the vehicle/attatched.

YOUR INSURANCE is the only one who will cover damage/theft of audio equipment.

The other insurance is only responsible for the vehicle and pain and suffering.

Your insurance would then ask for the money as extra towards the settlement.

Get gap insurance.

Sent from my ZTE ZMax using Tapatalk

well I'm getting less help than expected, sounds like yall rolled over on your belly for the insurance, or let them **** you over. MN law states that I have to be placed back into the position I was in prior to the accident. To me this includes my custom audio system. I'm 100% sure I'd win in court. I already came up with a solution. I gave them 3 offers, either buy me an identical vehicle ( i still have the stock equipment) so they could pay a shop to swap the custom stereo over to my new whip and get the factory back in my old one. Or they can pay for a comparable system in my new vehicle and keep all of my equpiment. Or they can just cough up enough dough to fix my car. If they don't agree to any of these 3 I'll see them in court.

well I'm getting less help than expected, sounds like yall rolled over on your belly for the insurance, or let them **** you over. MN law states that I have to be placed back into the position I was in prior to the accident. To me this includes my custom audio system. I'm 100% sure I'd win in court. I already came up with a solution. I gave them 3 offers, either buy me an identical vehicle ( i still have the stock equipment) so they could pay a shop to swap the custom stereo over to my new whip and get the factory back in my old one. Or they can pay for a comparable system in my new vehicle and keep all of my equpiment. Or they can just cough up enough dough to fix my car. If they don't agree to any of these 3 I'll see them in court.
Good luck hombre! We're all rooting for you!

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

So I didn't have to take them to court. I documented all of my costs and receipts and settled for $3,673 they did give me some credit for the higher quality audio system and tinted windows. I decided to buy back my own car, because I like it. They took $400 off the settlement to keep the car (which is what they would of got at auction.) I got to keep the title and it will not have a salvage on it, so the title is still clean. I took the vehicle to a good friend mechanic. New clutch system, brakes and tires came out to $1200 and body work came to $900 so I cam out ahead about 1k.

It'll never drive the same again.

My wife got into an accident as well.....a few weeks later she got a check for about 3400. Damage to her minivan was side door pushed inwards and paint was def scrapped enough to almost total it. She didn't want it anymore. The other person, whole front end on passenger side totaled...and hood looked like a 1/2 folded wallet.

It'll never drive the same again.
My wife got into an accident as well.....a few weeks later she got a check for about 3400. Damage to her minivan was side door pushed inwards and paint was def scrapped enough to almost total it. She didn't want it anymore. The other person, whole front end on passenger side totaled...and hood looked like a 1/2 folded wallet.
If all the smaller axle joints are fixed with multiple alignments then it should drive smooth.

Sent from my Z970 using Tapatalk

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.