Stock Electrical, Can I go with a large amp at high ohm load?

boomzabit
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
Minnesota
Hey guys I dont plan on upgrading my electrical just yet if I will at all on this car.

Most all the deals ive been finding in my area are all on larger amps mainly Sundown. Could I get away with running a larger amp say a 1 ohm stable saz 2500d or scv 3000d at 2 ohm? What are my disadvantages of running a big 1 ohm stable amp at 2 ohm? Would it still draw more current then a 1200w or 1500w amp? Thanks.

Hey guys I dont plan on upgrading my electrical just yet if I will at all on this car.
Most all the deals ive been finding in my area are all on larger amps mainly Sundown. Could I get away with running a larger amp say a 1 ohm stable saz 2500d or scv 3000d at 2 ohm? What are my disadvantages of running a big 1 ohm stable amp at 2 ohm? Would it still draw more current then a 1200w or 1500w amp? Thanks.
I ran a Sundown 2500 V2 iirc on my stock alt (105 amp) with 2 77ah C&D agm's before i got my h.o. alt put in.Had it on a ZCON 18 @.5 and was getting some pretty good drops in voltage.Rewired to 2 ohm and it ran great with hardly any drop.I'm sure everyone's results would be diff but mine sounded ok for what it was.

At 2 ohms it wont make full rated power.

In the end you will most likely not see as much voltage drop.

Just make sure the amp you get has a gave n knob so when you do get bad voltage drop just lower the gain.

Sent from my draconis using Tapatalk

I ran a Sundown 2500 V2 iirc on my stock alt (105 amp) with 2 77ah C&D agm's before i got my h.o. alt put in.Had it on a ZCON 18 @.5 and was getting some pretty good drops in voltage.Rewired to 2 ohm and it ran great with hardly any drop.I'm sure everyone's results would be diff but mine sounded ok for what it was.
that sig is soo true and soo distracting I forgot what the OP's question is or even how to respond....

At 2 ohms it wont make full rated power.
In the end you will most likely not see as much voltage drop.

Sent from my draconis using Tapatalk
I should be getting half of the amps power? If I get a 1 ohm stable amp and run it at 2 ohm i should get exactly have the power? From what I gather do amps have higher efficiency at a high ohm load?

Another thing, do higher ohm loads play into sound quality?

I should be getting half of the amps power? If I get a 1 ohm stable amp and run it at 2 ohm i should get exactly have the power? From what I gather do amps have higher efficiency at a high ohm load?
Another thing, do higher ohm loads play into sound quality?

"If you get technical, the different resistance values of a speaker will change the sound slightly, assuming wattage is the same. A lower impedance subwoofer has a voice coil with fewer windings, meaning less weight. A higher impedance subwoofer will have more coil windings, meaning more weight. It has more windings to counter act the resistance, so it’s like adding more lanes to the freeway to ease up traffic. This slight difference in weight will produce a slight sound quality difference. At 2 ohms you tend to have more projection of sound (louder), which causes poorer sound quality. At 4 ohms you will have less mid bass frequencies then at 2 ohms; however the sound quality is slightly improved.

If you’re not an audiophile, does this matter? Honestly, no it does not. Do not let this be a make or break when looking for sound system components. Two of the same subwoofers, just with different impedances, will produce almost the same sound if they are run at the same wattage. The difference in sound is so slight that it has little impact, especially when dealing with subwoofers, that you likely can’t tell the difference."

- http://knowledge.sonicelectronix.com/car-audio-and-video/car-subwoofers/what-is-the-difference-between-2-and-4-ohms/

Last edited by a moderator:
If you get technical, the different resistance values of a speaker will change the sound slightly, assuming wattage is the same. A lower impedance subwoofer has a voice coil with fewer windings, meaning less weight. A higher impedance subwoofer will have more coil windings, meaning more weight. It has more windings to counter act the resistance, so it’s like adding more lanes to the freeway to ease up traffic. This slight difference in weight will produce a slight sound quality difference. At 2 ohms you tend to have more projection of sound (louder), which causes poorer sound quality. At 4 ohms you will have less mid bass frequencies then at 2 ohms; however the sound quality is slightly improved.
If you’re not an audiophile, does this matter? Honestly, no it does not. Do not let this be a make or break when looking for sound system components. Two of the same subwoofers, just with different impedances, will produce almost the same sound if they are run at the same wattage. The difference in sound is so slight that it has little impact, especially when dealing with subwoofers, that you likely can’t tell the difference.
The fuq you say?

You're best off assuming it's going to take the same current to make X,XXX watts on amplifier A as with amplifier B, regardless of the impedance you run. You're going to have to do electrical upgrades to support a 1,500W+ mono amp on quite a lot of vehicles.

For what it's worth, very high output amplifiers wired to high resistance (for example, 4 ohms) will tend to draw less current for a specific amount of power (for example, 1500wrms) than another less powerful amplifier wired to low resistance (for example, .5 ohm). Even though they are both providing 1500 watts, the amplifier wired at lower resistance will draw significantly more current from your energy source. That's why you always hear sub ohming is hard on your electrical. You get more power, but you draw a **** load more current

For what it's worth, very high output amplifiers wired to high resistance (for example, 4 ohms) will tend to draw less current for a specific amount of power (for example, 1500wrms) than another less powerful amplifier wired to low resistance (for example, .5 ohm). Even though they are both providing 1500 watts, the amplifier wired at lower resistance will draw significantly more current from your energy source. That's why you always hear sub ohming is hard on your electrical. You get more power, but you draw a **** load more current
Explain how a "very high output" amplifier is capable of defying Ohm's law.

...so much misinformation in this thread.

1. Yes you will have less current demands. In most instances running power at a higher impedance is more efficient. Less energy is wasted to heat. If funds allow a large amp run at 2 ohms will be easier on your electrical (as well as a chance for a substantially higher damping factor if that matters to you) than running a smaller amp at 1 ohm.

2. Take anything Longthrow says with a grain of sale. He is a google champ. He personally doesn't know WTF is going on most of the time even though he means well.

3. Jakerrs is not saying amps are defying Ohms law. he should have stated that due to amp designs a larger amp can handle higher wattages better due to having slightly less current running through the components. Higher currents = less efficient due to the power dissipated(heat) being produced. Power dissipation is directly related to current. Running at higher impedances are not going to make a night/day difference in electrical requirements but can alleviate a small percentage of the electrical demands to reach a certain power.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.