Just curious about amp SQ

dsw1204

CarAudio.com Elite
I've read numerous times on debates about amp SQ. Some people claim there are no differences in SQ between amps. Some say there is a big difference. This is my take: Yeah, there is probably a huge difference in SQ between a high-end amp like a Mosconi or McIntosh and a Boss. There probably is not a big difference between two different high-end amps of the same caliber. But, I am not sure about the SQ difference between that high-end Mosconi and a very capable amp like the Arc Audio KAR series.

Would like to get your guys' thoughts on the subject. And, yes, I do own a KS900.6. I was just wondering what the SQ difference would be, if there was a SQ difference to be had, if set up side-by-side to a Mosconi or McIntosh.

its not necessarily an upgrade when you are going from higher end SQ amps to other high end SQ amps, its more like a different sound signature depending on the circuitry on the amp. Either way, you are just gonna retune everything with a processor anyways to get the best EQ curve suited for yourself. As long as its a moderately decent class a/b or a high end class D, you should be fine.

this argument has been beaten to death...

Personally, I don't think there is any noticeable difference between decent amps for 99.99% of setups considering a car environment is farrrr from ideal no matter how you cut it. I would rather spend good money on a HT or headphone setup and then I would know any difference good, bad, or nonexistent could be appreciated.

Like Jeff said, going from high-end to high-end not much of a change. Depends on circuitry, class a/b or D. Class D amps are typically for monoblock (subwoofer amps) I believe class a/b amps have an internal curve for midrange frequencies.

Going from Boss (or any other boss-like brand, like pyle, pyramid, planet audio etc) to a higher-end amp, Kicker (Best product Kicker makes are wires, and amplifiers.), Or Crescendo, Hifonics, Digital Designs, DA, MA, RE, Orion, Memphis, Alpine, you'll see a noticeable difference. The 'bad' amplifiers will put out a dirty signal - terrible for SQ.

STAY AWAY FROM THESE COMPANIES

American Pro (All)

Audiobank (All)

Blackmore Mobile Electronics (All)

Blitz (All)

DHD (All)

Diesel Audio (All)

Kenford (All)

Kole Audio (All)

Legacy (All)

Majestic (All)

Performance Teknique (All)

Phase Linear (All)

Pyle (All)

Pyramid (All)

Rockwood (All)

Sherwood (All)

SPL (all)

Solid Audio (All)

Sound Storm (All)

Street Edge (All)

Ultra Linear (All)

XFile Audio (All)

Like Jeff said, going from high-end to high-end not much of a change. Depends on circuitry, class a/b or D. Class D amps are typically for monoblock (subwoofer amps) I believe class a/b amps have an internal curve for midrange frequencies.
Going from Boss (or any other boss-like brand, like pyle, pyramid, planet audio etc) to a higher-end amp, Kicker (Best product Kicker makes are wires, and amplifiers.), Or Crescendo, Hifonics, Digital Designs, DA, MA, RE, Orion, Memphis, Alpine, you'll see a noticeable difference. The 'bad' amplifiers will put out a dirty signal - terrible for SQ.

STAY AWAY FROM THESE COMPANIES

American Pro (All)

Audiobank (All)

Blackmore Mobile Electronics (All)

Blitz (All)

DHD (All)

Diesel Audio (All)

Kenford (All)

Kole Audio (All)

Legacy (All)

Majestic (All)

Performance Teknique (All)

Phase Linear (All)

Pyle (All)

Pyramid (All)

Rockwood (All)

Sherwood (All)

SPL (all)

Solid Audio (All)

Sound Storm (All)

Street Edge (All)

Ultra Linear (All)

XFile Audio (All)
kicker does not make high end sq amps, with the exception of a few esoteric models none of the amp brands you listed are considered high end sq amp brands. Depending on which amp you discuss they may be good amps for SQ assuming your install is up to par...also it would have to be a terrible AB amp to have an "internal curve"

kicker does not make high end sq amps, with the exception of a few esoteric models none of the amp brands you listed are considered high end sq amp brands. Depending on which amp you discuss they may be good amps for SQ assuming your install is up to par...also it would have to be a terrible AB amp to have an "internal curve"
I wasn't saying Kicker makes high-end amps, I was trying to compare terrible brands to decent - mid/high end amps. Not talking about "SQ SPECIFIC" amps either. The brands I named are above entry level gear, not particularly SQ builds, don't take what I said so critically. Simply explaining to OP what brands to look for, not to look for.

Class A/B Amps have an internal eq curve that has a peak in midbass. Jeffdachef informed me of that, when helping me select door speaker amps.

I wasn't saying Kicker makes high-end amps, I was trying to compare terrible brands to decent - mid/high end amps. Not talking about "SQ SPECIFIC" amps either. The brands I named are above entry level gear, not particularly SQ builds, don't take what I said so critically. Simply explaining to OP what brands to look for, not to look for.
Class A/B Amps have an internal eq curve that has a peak in midbass. Jeffdachef informed me of that, when helping me select door speaker amps.
I'm just confused about your post since OP's question was specifically about sq amps and how high end SQ amps differ from one another ie Mosconi and McIntosh. As far as internal EQ curves that can be true with some amps, but many full range (AB or otherwise) amps attempt to have a fairly flat frequency response in the audible range.

I'm only critical because a future reader could misconstrue your post and run off touting his Class AB Kicker is one of the best SQ amps out there with it's special internal curve.

I'm only critical because a future reader could misconstrue your post and run off touting his Class AB Kicker is one of the best SQ amps out there with it's special internal curve.
Yeah, because that's totally what I said. OP was trying to - in a netshell - find out if there is a difference in two different high end amplifiers.The answer is no, but if you go from a ****** brand, or even a decent entry-level brand to high end youll see a noticeable difference. I simply stated 'some' a/b amps have an internal eq curve. I never said anything "special" about it.

I could of worded my post better, but if you mistake what I said in the past any other way I put it you shouldn't be in car audio. Some random dude checking this forum post with a completely different problem/question and then using the posts here to decide for himself, also shouldn't get into car audio.

I said nothing about specifically Kicker class a/b amps being the best SQ amps. And trust me, if some dude thinks his Kicker Amp is the best in caraudioland, my forum post would have no effect on his ignorant brain, if he had any knowledge he would know better than that.

I made a comparison for brands to look for - to get clean power/signal/output. We answered his question, and I added a bit of input.

Yeah, because that's totally what I said. OP was trying to - in a netshell - find out if there is a difference in two different high end amplifiers.The answer is no, but if you go from a ****** brand, or even a decent entry-level brand to high end youll see a noticeable difference. I simply stated 'some' a/b amps have an internal eq curve. I never said anything "special" about it.I could of worded my post better, but if you mistake what I said in the past any other way I put it you shouldn't be in car audio. Some random dude checking this forum post with a completely different problem/question and then using the posts here to decide for himself, also shouldn't get into car audio.

I said nothing about specifically Kicker class a/b amps being the best SQ amps. And trust me, if some dude thinks his Kicker Amp is the best in caraudioland, my forum post would have no effect on his ignorant brain, if he had any knowledge he would know better than that.

I made a comparison for brands to look for - to get clean power/signal/output. We answered his question, and I added a bit of input.
You clearly said you "Class A/B Amps have an internal eq curve that has a peak in midbass." not some...I said a reader could misconstrue your post and come away with that idea not that you said everything explicitly. I don't understand why you're being so defensive. I misunderstood your purpose in bringing up specific brands, I apologize, but the fact still remains the internal eq curve was an issue that needed to be addressed. I'm done derailing the topic any further. If you want to continue the discussion please PM me.

Back on topic - I've tried a lot of well regarded SQ amps in straight swaps and cannot notice a difference with a lateral replacement. Granted they are not esoteric amps like Mosconi, Brax, Audison, or McIntosh...Once a system is tuned any sort of "sound signatures" will be gone. This argument likely had considerable more import a couple decades, but now there is so much processing available that IMHO it's become largely a moot point unless you are running a setup without any processing done.

Go on DIYMA, do a search. You will find literally hundreds of pages discussing this (biggest one, start reading: HIGHER END AMP SQ IS A MYTH - Page 137 - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum). There was a test done a little while ago about it, and there's a test spinning up right now, I actually just donated an amp for it: Thinking about doing a blind subjective and measured amplifier test. - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum
I was browsing that Sq myth thread yesterday. It seems that in a car just about any amp is capable of sounding good after some tuning. It'll be interesting to see what the tests show

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

It's impossible for us as humans to listen without any bias. Amplifiers do not all sound the same, and if one really wants to try a different amplifier in their personal quest for better sound it's no one's business to say that change is wrong. It's important to know there may be many other changes that would make a much bigger audible difference. If you treat car audio the same as home audio or headphones you're potentially going to waste a lot of money and end up very sad.

I'm just confused about your post since OP's question was specifically about sq amps and how high end SQ amps differ from one another ie Mosconi and McIntosh. As far as internal EQ curves that can be true with some amps, but many full range (AB or otherwise) amps attempt to have a fairly flat frequency response in the audible range.
To tell you the truth, I was really more curious about the SQ difference between a good, solid amp (let's say like my Arc Audio KS900.6) and one of those extremely high-end amps (let's say McIntosh or Mosconi). Now, there's no way I will dish out the money for one of those amps, unless I win the MegsMillions Lotto or my income somehow triples in size. I've never listened to a super-high-end system and just wondered how the high-end sound compares to an average Joe's sollid (but not spectacular) setup.

Last edited by a moderator:
Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.