does box size matter for tuning ?

Participant count
  • Participant list

big scott

blazin low, and loud
edgewood, md
Im going to make a sealed box to find my residence frequency for my truck.

and was wandering if I made 2 boxes say 1 2 cubes and other 3 cubes would the frequency be different?

Meaning does box size matter in this situation ( just for finding res. Frequency of interior )

Also say it 42hz would I tune my ported box to 42hz?

im going to build a ported box for my 4 12" subs.

or what would I tune to ?

I would like say 25/30 hz to 63hz , is that possible.

Just trying to figure all this out before I start my ported box.

thanks.

o ill be useing one of my 12" sq hds2 subs for checking.

I don't have the answers to all your questions, but I can tell you box volume is a factor in tuning. If you have the same sized port and used that in three different sized boxes they'll be tuned to three different frequencies.

Check out this page and scroll down to the Slot Port Length Calculator:

Subwoofer Enclosure Calculators, Parallel, Series, Port Length and Volume

You can see how different permutations affect tuning.

Also, I think you'd be better off with a sealed box when looking for the resonant frequency because of its flatter response.

I don't have the answers to all your questions, but I can tell you box volume is a factor in tuning. If you have the same sized port and used that in three different sized boxes they'll be tuned to three different frequencies.

Also, I think you'd be better off with a sealed box when looking for the resonant frequency because of its flatter response.
He's going for something completely different man. He is making a sealed box to find the resonant frequency of his vehicle so he can tuned his ported box either to the resonant frequency to get a really high spl score, Or tune low enough to get a flat response after factoring in cabin gain. Lets say your peak frequency is at 50 hz, if you tune high like 40hz or something, your car will sound very peaky. However if you tuned to 30hz, it'll shift the frequency response to a lower octave allowing you to peak lower and sometimes achieve a more flatter response.

Also that calculator is not comprehensive at all, there are many displacements you need to account in. Use torres box calculator instead. For your ported box inf your other thread, the port area is very small, that loss of sound quality can be attributed to port compression.

Ported boxes get a lot of flack for not having a flat response, its because a lot of people dont know how to make a flat response ported box. They just shove a sub in a ported box and think it'll work fine. While in fact theres many factors of the box you can manipulate to achieve a very flat, loud and very good sounded ported box based on the parameters of each sub.

I get what he's trying to do, but i misread. I thought he was talking about making a ported box for sweeping.

I appreciate the info. I would like to know more about finding the ideal port area for a given sub, but i don't want to hijack OP's thread

He's going for something completely different man. He is making a sealed box to find the resonant frequency of his vehicle so he can tuned his ported box either to the resonant frequency to get a really high spl score, Or tune low enough to get a flat response after factoring in cabin gain. Lets say your peak frequency is at 50 hz, if you tune high like 40hz or something, your car will sound very peaky. However if you tuned to 30hz, it'll shift the frequency response to a lower octave allowing you to peak lower and sometimes achieve a more flatter response.
Also that calculator is not comprehensive at all, there are many displacements you need to account in. Use torres box calculator instead. For your ported box inf your other thread, the port area is very small, that loss of sound quality can be attributed to port compression.

Ported boxes get a lot of flack for not having a flat response, its because a lot of people dont know how to make a flat response ported box. They just shove a sub in a ported box and think it'll work fine. While in fact theres many factors of the box you can manipulate to achieve a very flat, loud and very good sounded ported box based on the parameters of each sub.
ya thanks very much.

and thats what i need/want to find out.

so will the box size matter?

and would there be a difference in resonant frequency with 2 different size boxes ?

---------- Post added at 11:36 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:35 AM ----------

residence frequency //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/laugh.gif.48439b2acf2cfca21620f01e7f77d1e4.gif
that what you get when relaying on spell check .. using a tablet...

Weren't you just asking about knowing how big a box needed to be for a speaker?

Sent from my draconis using Tapatalk

ya thanks very much.and thats what i need/want to find out.

so will the box size matter?

and would there be a difference in resonant frequency with 2 different size boxes ?

---------- Post added at 11:36 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:35 AM ----------

that what you get when relaying on spell check .. using a tablet...
typically speaking, the bigger you go in sealed, the lower the "tuning" is

Im going to make a sealed box to find my residence frequency for my truck.and was wandering if I made 2 boxes say 1 2 cubes and other 3 cubes would the frequency be different?

Meaning does box size matter in this situation ( just for finding res. Frequency of interior )

Also say it 42hz would I tune my ported box to 42hz?

im going to build a ported box for my 4 12" subs.

or what would I tune to ?

I would like say 25/30 hz to 63hz , is that possible.

Just trying to figure all this out before I start my ported box.

thanks.

o ill be useing one of my 12" sq hds2 subs for checking.
Make a 1.5cuft sealed box or 2 cuft.

Different sizes will not necessarily change much, but you might get lower response to amp power, but it wont be noticeable.

Will you be using a term lab?

Or just ear?

Weren't you just asking about knowing how big a box needed to be for a speaker?
Yes, but knowing a range of acceptable box sizes based on cone size isn't the same as figuring out what the ideal size is using the T/S parameters.

Besides, that doesn't affect the validity of what I wrote (though as mentioned earlier it's not what OP was asking; I misread).

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.