3D Printed Fourth Order Bandpass.... with Wood Filament!

mklett33
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
MI
I recently got a new 3D printer. A couple weeks ago I posted about how I made a ported enclosure for a subwoofer using the printer. I wanted to give it another shot... this time printing a 2:1 ration 4th order bandpass.

Overall it was a fun little proof of concept project. There was some air leakage around the edge of the plexiglass. If I were to do it again I would design the box to have more of a flange that could be used for sealing. Also I would probably want to print the top of the enclosure as well. I made it out of plexi so everyone could see the inner workings.

It will be exciting to see what 3D printing has in store for the future of car audio.

That's really sweet. What was the cost to "print" this? How rigid is the material? What would be the cost to print a useful size subwoofer box (say 3-5 cube net)?

That's really sweet. What was the cost to "print" this? How rigid is the material? What would be the cost to print a useful size subwoofer box (say 3-5 cube net)?
The sub woofer walls would have to be split into portion as size is a limitation on these smaller printers.

Sent from my draconis using Tapatalk

The cost for materials was about $7.00. I also had about 2.5 hours of design time into this which is technically a "cost" as well. Watch the video, I talk about how rigid it is. Hard to say on a full size box, I would love to have access to a larger printer.

Point is 3D printers of this size were more than $5K 5 years ago. Now they are less than $1K. I am hoping the larger printers follow the same path. There is rumored to be a 36x36x36 machine for under 10K later this year.

---------- Post added at 08:18 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:18 AM ----------

Print a wall
Some day!

The cost for materials was about $7.00. I also had about 2.5 hours of design time into this which is technically a "cost" as well. Watch the video, I talk about how rigid it is. Hard to say on a full size box, I would love to have access to a larger printer.
Point is 3D printers of this size were more than $5K 5 years ago. Now they are less than $1K. I am hoping the larger printers follow the same path. There is rumored to be a 36x36x36 machine for under 10K later this year.

---------- Post added at 08:18 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:18 AM ----------

Some day!
Very cool. My internet speed is rather hit or miss up here so I rarely try to stagger through videos but I'll take the time to click yours. Can't wait to see you make some custom midrange/tweeter pods, dash kits, etc.

Nice! I've watched a bunch of you vids lately. Very good work and very informative. Plus, you bring some different elements such as 3d printing into the car audio world. Love it! Keep it up, man!

Very cool. My internet speed is rather hit or miss up here so I rarely try to stagger through videos but I'll take the time to click yours. Can't wait to see you make some custom midrange/tweeter pods, dash kits, etc.
Would appreciate that thanks. Also I made a mid/tweeter pod already. Check it out here:

Thanks for watching, any help you can give slamming that like button is appreciated!

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.