Why do i keep blowing fuses?

Numb1zero

Hi there, I'm looking for help figuring out why my amp keeps popping fuses.

I've got 2 brand new pioneer 1500w 4ohm shallow mount 12' woofers and a power acoustik 820w amp.

I have an inline fuse holder between the battery and the amp with a 30a fuse in it that ive popped 2/3 times already (only installed for about a month) ive just been replacing the fuse and it works again but today i popped one of the fuses in the amp itself.

The amp is old- ive had it since like 2006 or so (about 9 years) but it's just been sitting. The fuses are new.. But maybe i just need a new amp. i don't particularly want to spend the cash right now though so does anyone know why its going through fuses like candy?

Also i have a 2f capacitor that over been meaning to install, just haven't had the time. Will that help?

Any advice or info is much appreciated! Thanks

what size power wire? what rating fuse on the amp? double check connections at battery and ground and that everything in general is not loose.

Ditch the cap. Try a 40 or 50a inline fuse. You want the fuse amperage rating to match the fuse rating on the amp. You are probably pushing the amp past its limitations at 2ohm bridged.

Hey wow i didn't expect so many responses so quickly! Thanks.

So in order, the subs are wired in a 2ohm total impedance according to a Crutchfield diagram. Bridging the amp's 2 channels, pos and neg from the amp to one sub, pos and neg from one sub to the other. Series, maybe? I'm not certain.

Second, i believe it's 10ga wire, from an amp install kit.

I'm not sure the rating on the amp's two fuses. Im not in front of them right now but they're white and match the fuse that were in it originally.

Lastly, ok so maybe just a bigger fuse? Ill check the rating of the fuses in the amp after work. The amp is supposed to be 2ohm stable (at least that's what it says on the top of it) and I'm curious why you say to ditch the cap. As i understand, it can savs my bat and alternator. Im getting dimming lights on hard bass hits that ive been told will stop if i put a cap in.

You don't want the fuses to match the amp, you want it rated for your wire ampacity, a 200 amp fuse on 10 gauge is bad news

I suggest getting a new amp anyway... nut all the replies are def correct. If you haven't blown the amp you have try to sale it for whatever you can get out of it.and i doubt very seriously that amp you have even makes 300 watts. but it is not made to be ran at the impedance you are wired to as stated above. but you can get a decent monoblock that will give you a good strong 500 watts or more @ 2 ohms depending on the rms of those subs and is 1 ohm stable, so in case you want to upgrade you could upgrade a little. if you are really strapped for cash buy a used amplifier from a pawn shop or a local sales site for your area, I see tons of great deals on the one for my area quite often so i buy and sale quite a bit to make a dollar. Oh and once again no need to use that cap....just my .02 cents

You don't want the fuses to match the amp, you want it rated for your wire ampacity, a 200 amp fuse on 10 gauge is bad news

You don't use fuses rated for the wire you are using... the fuse should be used according to amperage drawn by the amplifier. to big a fuse on the power wire on a small amp and you risk blowing the amp that way also. any wire can draw a ton of current for a short period of time, but if you have the right fusing it will pop the fuse to protect said amplifier...or that is the way it should work in theory lol never know what you might see happen with some jerry rigged setup

You don't use fuses rated for the wire you are using... the fuse should be used according to amperage drawn by the amplifier. to big a fuse on the power wire on a small amp and you risk blowing the amp that way also. any wire can draw a ton of current for a short period of time, but if you have the right fusing it will pop the fuse to protect said amplifier...or that is the way it should work in theory lol never know what you might see happen with some jerry rigged setup
This is very wrong, please refrain from this kind of advice. You absolutely use the size fuse rated for the wire you're using. In his case, he should use a 60A inline fuse. That fuse protects the wire. Fuses the amp has on board protect it. If an amp does not have its own fusing, manufacturer provides a fuse rating that should be installed close to the amp.

OP, please refer to the chart below:

Recommended Power and Ground Cable Sizes & Speaker Wire Size and Length

This is very wrong, please refrain from this kind of advice. You absolutely use the size fuse rated for the wire you're using. In his case, he should use a 60A inline fuse. That fuse protects the wire. Fuses the amp has on board protect it. If an amp does not have its own fusing, manufacturer provides a fuse rating that should be installed close to the amp.
OP, please refer to the chart below:

Recommended Power and Ground Cable Sizes & Speaker Wire Size and Length

My advice is spot on... do you know what happens when you blow a fuse? when fusing you are protecting the wire and the amplifier you do not want a fuse that is over rated for the amplifier by more than 5 amperes on the power wire or the amp even if the amplifier has a fuse.. and nor do you want to exceed the rating for the wire. if you want to continue like you are go for it but you are asking for problems.

My advice is spot on... do you know what happens when you blow a fuse? when fusing you are protecting the wire and the amplifier you do not want a fuse that is over rated for the amplifier by more than 5 amperes on the power wire or the amp even if the amplifier has a fuse.. and nor do you want to exceed the rating for the wire. if you want to continue like you are go for it but you are asking for problems.
You really need to go read up on stuff before offering advice. You're making stuff up. The fuse by the battery has nothing to do with any amps. It protects the wire only. I run 1/0 awg wire, which can carry up to 350A of current. I have an amp with no internal fusing, but it calls for 200A fuse inline, which is installed close to the amp. According to you, this is bad. I'm not trying to be rude, but this wrong.

Marlin is right.

To be real with you. Fuses hardly ever save amps. They will let a very high amount of current pass over them before they pop. Normally the amp is toast and the fuse is fine.

Lol

You don't fuse for the wire?hmmm

I guess I'm going to wire my cook stove up w/14g wire on a double pole 30a breaker! The wire will be fine lmao

Not car audio^^^ but works the same

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.