Sundown zv3 15 vs American Bass HD15

bgowdy
5,000+ posts

Heroes are remembered, but legends never die
"Hello there....Its Me again" lol

Ok so i scrapped my plan to do 2-12s smh.... Im always changing my mind, so im sticking with a single 15. ive been doing some google searching and searching here but couldnt find a vs thread or comparison for the SD Z3-15 vs AB HD-15. i have a firend thats pretty local that has a couple of ZV3-15s for a pretty good price and thought about getting one and swapping. So i was just looking for other thoughts on this.

Ive owned a zv3 18 but never got to do anything with it and traded it off.

Both Subs are rated for 1500 rms but will obviously take more. Neither will sweat my SS 3k. They will probably see about 1800 rms after rise(amp scoped). Both will be wired to .5ohm.

I think overall the ZV3 would actually sound better being the softies are better also probably better response etc. I also think the Z motor is stronger??

So Sundown Zv3 15 vs American Bass HD15?

Thoughts?

zv3. Stronger motor and performs better in smaller boxes. I have some for sale with nsv3 spiders. 300 each picked up price. Rated at 3k rms
dual 1 or dual 2?

---------- Post added at 06:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:45 PM ----------

zv3 uses American made coils and AFAIK that version was still built in house.
i kind of figured that the zv3 would be a better choice just wasnt completely sure.

price doesnt always make the difference though. Most of the time it does but not always.
I know but since both companies are similar it was a fair statement (AB/Sundown are mostly overseas subwoofer/parts, dealer only, 30-35hz tuning, good bang for your buck).
The Z isn't a good comparison to the HD (the new revision of the X series which is 1500RMS with a bigger motor is a better comparison, even then it's at least $100 more ). HD in terms of size/price is more comparable to something like a HDC3 or a Level4,

I know but since both companies are similar it was a fair statement (AB/Sundown are mostly overseas subwoofer/parts, dealer only, 30-35hz tuning, good bang for your buck).
The Z isn't a good comparison to the HD (the new revision of the X series which is 1500RMS with a bigger motor is a better comparison, even then it's at least $100 more ). HD in terms of size/price is more comparable to something like a HDC3 or a Level4,
I see.. So yea as above the z is a better sub

zv3 is a good sub, so is the AB. There is no "magic" sub out there....put either one in a decent enclosure with proper power and enjoy it.

I have some zv3 15's in a 4th order, very happy with them. Also like the HDC4's in my daily....

I'd throw the hdc3 15" in with the mix as an option. It's the least expensive and basically identical to the HD. I can't say enough great things about the hdc3 line. I've owned both the zv3 and hdc3 and would give the edge in sq and low end spl to the zv3, but the the spl levels are very similar in their appropriate enclosures. I run hdc3 for daily and competing, mainly because I don't wish to spend almost twice as much for the marginal improvement in sound. Hope that helps.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.