Roll-on candy paint???

sharkman

poor bass head
please don't flame me or call me names. Will it work or not

Ok so my truck is old and beat up but I want to give it a bit of shine. I got to do a bit of body work. As far as my paint I want something that looks ok but not dull. I like the idea of the $50 paint job with the roller. But the how would it come out if I did a primer, silver base, then roll on the candy paint. I've seen they have a powder mix I can mix into a clear or thinner. But will it be fine to roll on. I'm not looking for the top of line paint job, just something better then what I have now....I'm looking for someone who has a sprayer that can do it for me but if not I'm willing to do it

candy gets its luster/shine/depth by doing multiple layers... i dont think it would work. I painted an s-10 with a harbor freight gun candy red and it looked **** good!

candy gets its luster/shine/depth by doing multiple layers... i dont think it would work. I painted an s-10 with a harbor freight gun candy red and it looked **** good!
You can roll on as many candy coats right....I'm looking for someone with a sprayer. I don't mind spending a few hundred to get someone to do a few coats plus a topcoat....

I just know candy cost at least $2-3k....worst case I will roll on the primer and silver base myself with a lot of wet sanding

You can roll on as many candy coats right....I'm looking for someone with a sprayer. I don't mind spending a few hundred to get someone to do a few coats plus a topcoat....I just know candy cost at least $2-3k....worst case I will roll on the primer and silver base myself with a lot of wet sanding
i spent about $400 on everything bro,wish i could find the pics. I was 18 and had no experience, came out real nice.

i spent about $400 on everything bro,wish i could find the pics. I was 18 and had no experience, came out real nice.
Not bad. I don't mind spending that. My only problem which has me even asking about rolling is that I live in an apartment and don't have a house could spray at...

---------- Post added at 06:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:56 PM ----------

Would it be hard to do in an empty parking lot

Not bad. I don't mind spending that. My only problem which has me even asking about rolling is that I live in an apartment and don't have a house could spray at... 

---------- Post added at 06:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:56 PM ----------

The wind, contaminates, overspray on nearby vehicles. If I caught some dude spraying his car anywhere near mine I'd lose my **** and do very bad things. Find a garage to rent or something. Adds $ unless you got a friend

i painted my bike fairings marble colbalt blue/black. i used my 3 gallon compressor, a $11.99 spray gun from harbor freight, a $1.99 inline water filter, and paint from "thecoatingstore.com"

you will have a problem with the urethane paint fumes in the neighbors houses lol

i did primer black, jet black base, silver metallic( which i used plastic wrap to create marble effect) then followed 3 coats candy colbalt blue, then 3 coats 2k clear. result :

k8gGCIOl.jpg

please don't flame me or call me names. Will it work or not
Ok so my truck is old and beat up but I want to give it a bit of shine. I got to do a bit of body work. As far as my paint I want something that looks ok but not dull. I like the idea of the $50 paint job with the roller. But the how would it come out if I did a primer, silver base, then roll on the candy paint. I've seen they have a powder mix I can mix into a clear or thinner. But will it be fine to roll on. I'm not looking for the top of line paint job, just something better then what I have now....I'm looking for someone who has a sprayer that can do it for me but if not I'm willing to do it
so your gonna use a roller to apply paint that cost upwards of 1500 a pint ... with a paint roller? primer grey would look better as would any flat black cheap... or i mean hey maaco does paint jobs for 299 out the door... that will be less than the paint itsself..

The wind, contaminates, overspray on nearby vehicles. If I caught some dude spraying his car anywhere near mine I'd lose my **** and do very bad things. Find a garage to rent or something. Adds $ unless you got a friend
i went to carter lumber, got some plastic wrap for free.. stapled/taped all seams and had exhaust fan to help remove fumes, also keeps overspray from sticking to wet paint. You can also see that i have the "explosion proof" exhaust fan installed.. dont try this at home kids!

ghetto style:http://i.imgur.com/LeKDUNR.jpg

i painted my bike fairings marble colbalt blue/black. i used my 3 gallon compressor, a $11.99 spray gun from harbor freight, a $1.99 inline water filter, and paint from "thecoatingstore.com"
you will have a problem with the urethane paint fumes in the neighbors houses lol

i did primer black, jet black base, silver metallic( which i used plastic wrap to create marble effect) then followed 3 coats candy colbalt blue, then 3 coats 2k clear. result :

k8gGCIOl.jpg
How exactly did you get that effect?

Looks great

k8gGCIOl.jpg
that looks really good... like dipped quality...

How exactly did you get that effect?
Looks great
ok.. short version is this. candy paint means no more than a translucent paint. it only shows itself with the right color under it.

so that said, i started with a black, then waited for it to flash.. then adjusted nozzel to spray a little wetter and covered black with a metallic silver. this is actually what makes the blue show up..

While the silver is still wet( i mean within seconds of laying it down) have plastic wrap from your wifes drawer ready to go and lay it on the wet silver paint.pat it carefully so set it on paint and peal off. will resemble this:

Then apply 3 coats ( or your preference) of your candy paint followed by 3 coats of clear.

im gonna edit this in a few min when pics upload

heres full bike : http://i.imgur.com/BC3mzr2.jpg you can see the sun lighting doesnt do justice here on the gloss..

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.