14 volt battery?

Participant count
  • Participant list

EFD307

New York
My new vehicle has a 14 volt battery, when it comes time to install my amps will I have to install resistors to get a 12v input? Or can my systems run on a 14v input? Would the extra 15% voltage increase give me any significant performance increase? Will I see an increase in power output or am I just going to run cooler because of the decreased current?

Both are alpine, 500W mono for the sub and a PDR-F50 for the type r's up front.
From a quick glance, I can't see anything saying a max voltage for the amps. If your car charges in the 15v range I would say it's ok. Worst case scenario, the amp doesn't like the voltage and it puts itself into protect.

My new vehicle has a 14 volt battery, when it comes time to install my amps will I have to install resistors to get a 12v input? Or can my systems run on a 14v input? Would the extra 15% voltage increase give me any significant performance increase? Will I see an increase in power output or am I just going to run cooler because of the decreased current?
What kind of vehicle do you have with a 14v battery??

It should charge above 16v. Voltage does help for efficiency and power with unregulated power supplies. Korean amps from good companies should be fine on that. Those Alpine amps may be iffy

What kind of vehicle do you have with a 14v battery??
It should charge above 16v. Voltage does help for efficiency and power with unregulated power supplies. Korean amps from good companies should be fine on that. Those Alpine amps may be iffy
I've got a 2015 jeep cherokee trailhawk

Yea, I'm pretty sure, see attached. I think it has to do with the engine stop start feature, higher voltage keeps the starting current lower for less heat on frequent starts, just a guess though.
View attachment 26552633
Is that picture with the engine on? I see RPM's. If so, it's a 12v battery.

12v batteries charge at 14v or a bit higher. 14v batteries charge at 16v or a bit higher.

Is that picture with the engine on? I see RPM's. If so, it's a 12v battery.
12v batteries charge at 14v or a bit higher. 14v batteries charge at 16v or a bit higher.
my escape had a 12v battery and would idle at 12.6v let me look into it some more.

some vehicles turn the alternator off at idle, hence why you would see 12.6v. that's definitely a 12v system, turn your engine off and i bet your battery voltage would be that of a 12v battery

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

EFD307

EFD307
New York
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date
Last reply from
EFD307