System install quote, reasonable or outrageous?

EFD307

New York
Went to my local shop to price out a system for my 2015 cherokee, I did all the work on my old car but don't feel comfortable tearing this one apart and interfacing with the stock head unit. This is what they quoted me, they charge 10$ extra for install if you bring in outside parts which I will be doing judging by these prices. Is it reasonable to charge for 4 channel amp install and inverter install? There were also supposed to quote me with components in the front but they didn't price that, i think its an extra $20 for component install. Amazon prices at the end. I have the sws-12 and 500w mono from the old car for them to install.

2x alpine spr-69 199.99 =399.98 (290 for 6x9 and component sets on amazon)

2x speaker install 55.00 110.00

1 LP7-2 inverter 39.99 (20 on amazon)

1 L7-4 inverter 49.99 (30 on amazon)

inverter installation 68.00

alpine pdr f-50 450.00 (239 on amazon)

amp install 95.00

misc wire and connectors 55.00

0 Ga amp kit for existing monoblock 79.99

4ga amp kit for 4 channel 35.99

sub amp install 68.00

total $1541.08

this seems pretty outrageous to me, price of speakers, inverters and amps on amazon is $584.63

Was thinking of having them put some dynomat in there while they had it all apart but idk what they'd charge me for that....

Since there are no standards for installations we have inadequate information to advise you. Some 12V shops put out artful wiring that naturally costs more because they take great pride in emulating or exceeding the fit of the factory wiring, but the performance is second to none to back that up. Additionally, there is no "book" time for these jobs, so that's another complication. It's the shop's job to educate you on what they do, how they will take care of your vehicle to prevent damage, inform you of their guarantee, and put you at ease so you can make a better informed decision.

It's the shops that are quick to reduce the quote to be competitive that you really want to be wary of. Good work costs more money and it takes a certain amount of time, generally speaking.

Went to my local shop to price out a system for my 2015 cherokee, I did all the work on my old car but don't feel comfortable tearing this one apart and interfacing with the stock head unit. This is what they quoted me, they charge 10$ extra for install if you bring in outside parts which I will be doing judging by these prices. Is it reasonable to charge for 4 channel amp install and inverter install? There were also supposed to quote me with components in the front but they didn't price that, i think its an extra $20 for component install. Amazon prices at the end. I have the sws-12 and 500w mono from the old car for them to install.

amp install 95.00

sub amp install 68.00

total $1541.08

this seems pretty outrageous to me, price of speakers, inverters and amps on amazon is $584.63

Was thinking of having them put some dynomat in there while they had it all apart but idk what they'd charge me for that....
You should first reconsider the equipment as you can probably save some money there as well. Though there are no universal standards for installation duration and pricing, I'm sure you're just after a clean, functional install that will be hassle free for a long time. My advice to you is to find some shops on yelp and read the reviews/ratings. If you can provide a more precise geographical location, maybe one of the members here can recommend a shop for you. That's how I got recommended a shop when I was first looking for an install.

You should first reconsider the equipment as you can probably save some money there as well. Though there are no universal standards for installation duration and pricing, I'm sure you're just after a clean, functional install that will be hassle free for a long time. My advice to you is to find some shops on yelp and read the reviews/ratings. If you can provide a more precise geographical location, maybe one of the members here can recommend a shop for you. That's how I got recommended a shop when I was first looking for an install.
Positive online reviews mean nothing. Check out all the online reviews on Boss, Dual, Kicker, RF, ect. Also, employees or the owner could have written them. For example, "banging customs" or something on here that was obviously fake

Negative reviews do mean something. If a shop messed up, and didn't fix something when a customer wanted them to, that's a red flag for me

Personal recommendation does mean something if you know the other person well

Well if you brought in all parts from Amazon (or a cheaper source) I calculated it to be $1101. If it's worth it is up to you. I personally don't really like having to pay for labor if I could do it myself. Since you have knowledge in installing I would do it yourself.

Shops always overcharge.....and they wonder why they get no business. I understand the fundumentals of trying to stay alive and such, but...there's time and $$ that some fool will pay that others would rather not. Keep prices reasonable and people will keep coming back.

That final price can be sheared about a 1/3 if your wanting those items from f/s items on here or your local CL.

Just have them do the things you do not know how to do, be there and see what they do so you can do it yourself later on. This is also to monitor if they are doing their job right or not. If they dont allow you to watch then its a shady as hell shop.

amp install 95.00

sub amp install 68.00

total $1541.08

as an installer, you will be severely dissatisfied with this install. I would never use a LOC for more than just adding a sub. i'd use 6.5" speakers due to the very small mounting depths in your vehicle. yeah the full dash kit for you vehicle is $200+ but it opens up so much more for you. if you came in to my shop i'd charge you

$500 for front and rear speakers with plate adapter and installation, Kicker CS. (Kicker KS would be $100 more)

$300 for amp wiring, Kicker PK4 PK8 plus Kicker RCAs

$300 for amp installation

$250 for dash kit

$300 for DD, JVC 21BT (JVC 41BT $75 more)

$400 for the F-50

$50 for speed wire, speaker wire for sub, and relay for amp turn on

you are going to want a definition of "amp install" b/c 99% of the time it means mounting it to the back of a seat. you are also going to want to know how are they going to make the speaker connections for the 4 channel amp. also how are they going to make the connections for the LOCs b/c most shops will use t-taps, if they are I'd go far far away from that shop. here's the kicker for the whole thing, ask them when was the last time they actually used LOCs in a new chrsyler? b/c most of the new chrysler vehicles need to see an impedance load for the radio to work.

keep listening to these guys telling you to do it yourself. they don't know the slightest about these new data bus or can bus systems. go do some research about all the guys that decided to work around data bus or can bus to get some crap radio or subs in their car.

they tend to take advantage of ppl. never go to a shop for an install. do a bit of research will do you good, and you will be able to do it all yourself.

amp install 95.00

sub amp install 68.00

total $1541.08

What kind of hardware would I need to get that impedance load for the radio? Also I've been having trouble finding information on which speakers will fit in those doors, crutchfield says only the 5.25" will fit. Have you been able to fir the 6.5" in there? What do you mean by dash kit?

The guy tried to sell me a powerpack at first to power the type r's and i wasn't sure that would be enough, I had the power pack on my type s system and when the volume got up there it would get a little warbaly plus if i was going to spend the money on having someone install an amp im going to get my moneys worth and have them run all the wiring for a proper 4 channel.

I'd like to work on it all myself I've just never installed a system to a stock head unit. And I tend to be a little messy when it comes to hiding wires.

as an installer, you will be severely dissatisfied with this install. I would never use a LOC for more than just adding a sub. i'd use 6.5" speakers due to the very small mounting depths in your vehicle. yeah the full dash kit for you vehicle is $200+ but it opens up so much more for you. if you came in to my shop i'd charge you
$500 for front and rear speakers with plate adapter and installation, Kicker CS. (Kicker KS would be $100 more)

$300 for amp wiring, Kicker PK4 PK8 plus Kicker RCAs

$300 for amp installation

$250 for dash kit

$300 for DD, JVC 21BT (JVC 41BT $75 more)

$400 for the F-50

$50 for speed wire, speaker wire for sub, and relay for amp turn on

you are going to want a definition of "amp install" b/c 99% of the time it means mounting it to the back of a seat. you are also going to want to know how are they going to make the speaker connections for the 4 channel amp. also how are they going to make the connections for the LOCs b/c most shops will use t-taps, if they are I'd go far far away from that shop. here's the kicker for the whole thing, ask them when was the last time they actually used LOCs in a new chrsyler? b/c most of the new chrysler vehicles need to see an impedance load for the radio to work.

keep listening to these guys telling you to do it yourself. they don't know the slightest about these new data bus or can bus systems. go do some research about all the guys that decided to work around data bus or can bus to get some crap radio or subs in their car.

Im located in the Oswego, Syracuse, Rochester area of central New York, if anyone knows of a decent local shop. Another question i had was about powering the amps. My car has a 14 volt battery, can I run 14 volts into my amps? I'm pretty sure my last car was 12.6V... How does that change my install?

What kind of hardware would I need to get that impedance load for the radio? Also I've been having trouble finding information on which speakers will fit in those doors, crutchfield says only the 5.25" will fit. Have you been able to fir the 6.5" in there? What do you mean by dash kit? The guy tried to sell me a powerpack at first to power the type r's and i wasn't sure that would be enough, I had the power pack on my type s system and when the volume got up there it would get a little warbaly plus if i was going to spend the money on having someone install an amp im going to get my moneys worth and have them run all the wiring for a proper 4 channel.

I'd like to work on it all myself I've just never installed a system to a stock head unit. And I tend to be a little messy when it comes to hiding wires.
it's 6x9s all the way around in that vehicle and it's a stupid mounting depth that most 6x9s won't fit. I've fit 6x9s and 6.5s. dash kit, so you can do an aftermarket radio. the power pack is fine the problem I run into is that all the installers I've seen install them use the wire for the radio instead of running a separate 12 gauge power and ground for it. what is the obsession with keeping the stock radio, it ***** and it's just as expensive to keep it and it's going to sound like chit or ditch it and you'll be fine.

How can I replace the stock radio without replacing all the features that came with it? climate control, backup camera, navigation a lot of the car interfaces with the stock system, searing wheel controls and stuff like that.

it's 6x9s all the way around in that vehicle and it's a stupid mounting depth that most 6x9s won't fit. I've fit 6x9s and 6.5s. dash kit, so you can do an aftermarket radio. the power pack is fine the problem I run into is that all the installers I've seen install them use the wire for the radio instead of running a separate 12 gauge power and ground for it. what is the obsession with keeping the stock radio, it ***** and it's just as expensive to keep it and it's going to sound like chit or ditch it and you'll be fine.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.