Big three installed, no gains, and check engine light is now on..

MrAcd

Senior VIP Member
GA
I just got down installed the big three in my 2004 dodge ram 1500 with KNU ofc wire

I did a wire from positive on the battery to alt.

Negative on battery to frame.

and alt chassis to frame.

I see only .02v gain..... and i still get light dimming. Not to mention my check engine light is now on.

I have a SQ-1200D pushing around 900 watts give or take. Do you need pictures? I sanded down all the grounds and kept stock wiring as well. Fused with a 150 amp fuse. I have a stock 136amp alternator.

Does anybody know what might be the issue, if you need any more info just ask for it.

I just got down installed the big three in my 2004 dodge ram 1500 with KNU ofc wire
I did a wire from positive on the battery to alt.

Negative on battery to frame.

and alt chassis to frame.

I see only .02v gain..... and i still get light dimming. Not to mention my check engine light is now on.

I have a SQ-1200D pushing around 900 watts give or take. Do you need pictures? I sanded down all the grounds and kept stock wiring as well. Fused with a 150 amp fuse. I have a stock 136amp alternator.

Does anybody know what might be the issue, if you need any more info just ask for it.

MrAcd is online now Add to MrAcd's Reputation Report Post
That size alt should handle that amp without any problem at all. So what's your voltage with engine running and how low does it get when the lights dim?

Idling at 14.02v which was the same as before.. and when i play music while at idle i have seen it drop to as low as 12.6v at full tilt! depending on the song, depends on how low it drops. I can say it never stays above 13.9v

Idling at 14.02v which was the same as before.. and when i play music while at idle i have seen it drop to as low as 12.6v at full tilt! depending on the song, depends on how low it drops. I can say it never stays above 13.9v
This is just weird. Can you provide your full setup? Subs? How are they wired and how many? VC config?

Is there an amp for highs? Which one?

I'm running my setup off stock electrical, have a voltage read out on the PS8 software and never saw it drop below 13.5 when engine runs even when I push it hard. So yea, please provide your setup...or better yet, include it in your signature.

Alright, i was planning on doing the sig thing anyways just procrastinated, but it super weird.

2004 Dodge ram 1500 4.7 with a stock 136 amp alt

Big three with KNU wiring ofc 1/0 guage fused for 136 amps

Have a SQ-1200D v1 wired at 2 ohms

Have a pionner DEH - x6600BT HU

Stock mids and highs (only factory amp) (Doing a front stage in a near future, one thing at a time)

2 SSA Dcon 10inch SVC 2 ohm woofers wired to 2 ohms in a box i made around 3 cubes after displacement tuned to 33hz

Stock 12v battery putting out 770 CCA ( i think... i just briefly read it earlier) if that matters

Kept all stock wiring just added more,

the only flag i might see is i grounded the alt chassis to the frame instead of the engine block to the battery post.

Alright, i was planning on doing the sig thing anyways just procrastinated, but it super weird.
2004 Dodge ram 1500 4.7 with a stock 136 amp alt

Big three with KNU wiring ofc 1/0 guage fused for 136 amps

Have a SQ-1200D v1 wired at 2 ohms

Have a pionner DEH - x6600BT HU

Stock mids and highs (only factory amp) (Doing a front stage in a near future, one thing at a time)

2 SSA Dcon 10inch SVC 2 ohm woofers wired to 2 ohms in a box i made around 3 cubes after displacement tuned to 33hz

Stock 12v battery putting out 770 CCA ( i think... i just briefly read it earlier) if that matters

Kept all stock wiring just added more,

the only flag i might see is i grounded the alt chassis to the frame instead of the engine block to the battery post.
Can you double check the sub wiring? I'm thinking you mistakenly wired it down to 0.5 ohms. Honestly, I don't see any way this should be happening at 1 ohm, let alone at 2.

Also, can you clarify exactly what your last sentence means?"

" the only flag i might see is i grounded the alt chassis to the frame instead of the engine block to the battery post.""

Yeah, all i mean is everywhere i have read, about the big three people say ground the alt to the battery and ground the battery to the frame BUT when it comes to the last ground i see a lot of "Ground the engine block to the battery or frame" while i grounded my alt chassis to the frame. btw i fixed the PCM code, it had nothing to do with this issue, i forgot to plug up my MAF sensor. I was just told that maybe the voltage regulator is regulating how much the alt can give the battery and that is why i see no more than i am.

I agree on the wiring, im 99.8% sure i wired it correctly, but i will check again real quick.

Yeah, all i mean is everywhere i have read, about the big three people say ground the alt to the battery and ground the battery to the frame BUT when it comes to the last ground i see a lot of "Ground the engine block to the battery or frame" while i grounded my alt chassis to the frame. btw i fixed the PCM code, it had nothing to do with this issue, i forgot to plug up my MAF sensor. I was just told that maybe the voltage regulator is regulating how much the alt can give the battery and that is why i see no more than i am.
I agree on the wiring, im 99.8% sure i wired it correctly, but i will check again real quick.
That's fine. The alt is the source, it needs the best ground possible

You got all of these, right? Battery ground to chassis wire, the chassis to engine block wire, and the alternator plus to battery plus wire. Hope you didn't turn big 3 into big 2.

Sub wiring is key. If you're looking at it and not sure how it's wired, draw a quick diagram and let us know.

If you have two 2Ω SVC subs, they can only be wired to 1 or 4Ω. As for the difference between the alternator case and the engine, they're exactly the same place from an electrical standpoint... so long as the alternator to bracket, bracket to engine and engine to frame connections are clean and tight.

You didn't mentioned where and how the amplifier is connected to both the power wire and grounds but, I would hazard a guess that the problem lies somewhere in those connections. Go back through all your connections and make sure they're clean and tight. This includes all of the new wiring you added as well as ALL connections between the amp and alternator.

I just went out there and checked (curiosity was getting to me) i am in fact at wired at 2 ohms. I have three wires, just instead of grounding the engine block i put the ground on the alternator case.

Noloud4U, that is what i was thinking and i read that the alternator is grounded through the engine block, and had read that if you have enough wire just wire it to the alternator case, so i did.

I just went out there and checked (curiosity was getting to me) i am in fact at wired at 2 ohms. I have three wires, just instead of grounding the engine block i put the ground on the alternator case.
Noloud4U, that is what i was thinking and i read that the alternator is grounded through the engine block, and had read that if you have enough wire just wire it to the alternator case, so i did.
Perfectly fine and you are right. The alt is hooked straight to the block.

I misread, thought it was 2 ohm dvc. bbeljefe is right, you can't have it at 2 ohms. So I'm guessing it's at 1 ohm? Like he said, can you tell us about amp power/ground wiring?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.