Unrated load on o/s mtx

Participant count
  • Participant list

noble brown

Senior VIP Member
I'm doing something most people who know better would never do. But I do what I wanna. Jk, but seriously, I figure this is as good an opportunity to learn something as any.

So here's my sin. I have an old school mtx 81000d. It's lowest load rating is 2 ohms. Me, I run it at .5. It's pushing a 15" Zcon. It works indefinitely during winter but now that that's over it is going into a thermal protect when it is cranked. It is expected. I'm actually surprised I haven't fried it. I completely expected smoke when I first put it under a half ohm load. So now that this amp has my respect I'm curious. Is the thermal limit my only one in this case? I'm other words if I applied effort into some mods to keep it cool would this effectively expand its limits? Or is the thermal limitations further constrained by component specs? I mean I know they have there own limitations but are the thermal limitations of the amp going to be met before the individual components?

That amp can be easily modded which takes away the thermal protection....which imo is a bad idea. Because as you said, it can burn up in smoke.

I had 2 of those. Sadly, after losing my job, sold one kept the other. I ran it to two 15w3's @ 1 ohm. And didn't get warm to touch or shut down.

http://www.caraudio.com/forums/amplifiers/116284-how-mod-mtx-81000d.html

As for wattage, if memory serves me right, about 1800 @ 1 ohm. Give or take a little, based on electrical. And you can search for this too.

Oh yeah it is modded. I did it a few months back. I don't think it bypasses the thermal protection though just the short circuit protection. I'm installing a couple of cross flow fans but I'm not sure if I can place them where they will be effective. Might just go w some computer fans if the cross flows fans don't work.

These amps are my jam //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/fyi.gif.9f1f679348da7204ce960cfc74bca8e0.gif

I have multiple 1501d's. As long as you keep your volts up you should be able to run .5 or lower relatively safely. I have never done it tho because 2 ohms works out perfect. I have a couple toasted ones I'd let go pretty cheap if you wanted to tinker with them.

These mtx 81000d's are powerfull . The first big mtx class d amp made that is similar to a 81000d , 1501d is a 1000d. it has no compression circuit and will smoke your subs. or the amp if your not careful.

My mtx 1000d birthsheet says it will puts out :

1272 watts @2ohm 12.5 volts .712% total harmonic distortion

751 watts @4ohm 12.5 volts .653% THD

Cool story bro......

In 1999 or 2000 (cant remember exactly). The Db Drag Races came to Nashville Tennessee.

MTX had a booth setup for a contest to win a brand new MTX Thunder1000d amp. You had to hold a mtx 1000d amp out in front of you (over a laser beam that would beep if the amp dropped below it. ) it weighs around 14 pounds i think. . Well... i held that amp out in front of me for 1 hour 38 minutes. I beat out everybody (even muscle bound dudes) that tried at the show. I won it on the last day of the show. 2 hours before the show was over. lol

The mtx guy had to convince me to put it down. he told me ,Nobody could possibly have a chance to hold it as long as i did. the show was over in 30 minutes. So sloowly i put it down.... and i couldn't feel my hands or raise my arms .aaahh the burn! . It was torture. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/laugh.gif.48439b2acf2cfca21620f01e7f77d1e4.gif took a few months to receive my amp in the mail . but it was worth it. I still have it to this day. birthsheet, box, and the invoice from mtx.

I can remember those amps costing 650.00 brand new at HH Gregs.. no way i would pay 650 for 1500 watts. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/laugh.gif.48439b2acf2cfca21620f01e7f77d1e4.gif

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.