New comps $100-150, think I blew my old ones

Participant count
  • Participant list

Jacobman
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
CA
Well every 2 years or so I have been taking my Phoenix gold rsd 65 out of my door and cleaning off the terminals and making sure the mount is tight. This time I was curious what the "+2db" on the crossover was and turned it on, well I noticed the speakers were significantly louder this time and after turning them out I believe I have fried them, lesson learned. Not sure if it is just the midbass that is done, Ill have to take them out again this weekend and investigate. If it is just the midbass than I suppose I can just buy a new one, I think I have my amp set to 120rms or so. Anyways if I was to buy a new set of comps capable of more or less all my amp can give, alpine pdx 2.150, somewhere in the 100-150rms range what would you recommend?

I see the Infinity Reference 6030cs have good reviews,

Infinity Reference 6030cs 6-1/2" 270W 2-Way Reference Series Component Car Speakers at Onlinecarstereo.com

Alpine SPR-60c, a little budget

Alpine SPR-60C 6-1/2" 2-Way*330W*Type-R Compnent Car Speaker System at Onlinecarstereo.com

Infinity 60.9cs, little over budget

Infinity 60.9cs 6-1/2" 270W Component Speaker System at Onlinecarstereo.com

Also I was checking out Phoenix Golds website and saw the SX65cs speakers which look nice but didnt see them on online car stereo, pretty sure those will be out of budget. My doors are have sound deadening so the mid bass and the mid bass was nice on my old Rsds but I blew them up.

Thanks, Jake

Infinity Kappa 60.9's are sweet, but, to me, a bit harsh up top. I run them, and have to go -3db down setting on tweet, and I have another 2db pulled out at the HU to get the "warmer" sound that I like....

Thank you for the response. Do you think the crossover and tweeter are okay on my set, im thinking I could just pick up another set of mid bass drivers and be fine. If I wanted to test them I would connect my multimeter to the terminal of the mid bass and it should read 4 ohms, right? If not than it is blown, correct? Also it should be 4 ohms on the tweeters right? What are the odds of the crossover being damaged and how would I test for that?

I'm running a set of JBL P660C's and love them. Get crazy loud and do not distort at all. I'm running about 150w to them with my highpass set to 80Hz. They are very well built and feel really solid. They are like $115 new. I've used many speakers and installed many sets for friends in the $100-$150 range and these have been my favorite so far

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.