Pioneer DEH-80PRS

PittViper
10+ year member

Well, I've finally installed this in my car. I am running standard(non active), with an amp powering my front components, and and amp powering my sub.

When I first installed it, the initial sound was worse that the one I replaced. Well, I followed the instructions and tried the auto ta/eq. Now the sound is worse.

Has anybody successfully used the eq's on this unit manually to get good sound, and can you set the t/a manually to create a stage?

Before you tell me to run active, I don't want to because the additional work necessary to accomplish this is not something I want to tackle right now.

Can you please give me advice on how to get the best sound I can in standard mode.

Thanks

sounds like installer error... do some research.. you probably slipped up on something silly.

we're not bashing you, i make mistakes too, just reminding you that it's likely a user error

sounds like installer error... do some research.. you probably slipped up on something silly.
we're not bashing you, i make mistakes too, just reminding you that it's likely a user error
I don't know what could be installed wrong. Everything else was already installed for a long time and sounded pretty good with my Alpine HU. All I did was swap hu's. Could you be more specific as to what I may have slipped on?

What is it lacking and how did you do the auto eq?

I placed the mic at where my head would be on the head rest. I ran the auto routine. The sound came out flatter than I like, no liveliness, lacking highs for the most part, and was positioned way too far to the left.

hmm it may just be an adjustment. it's well known that it can be weird or sound bad at first until your ears adjust or set it to your liking. the auto eq isnt for everyone i guess.

my guess on the mistakes you might of made include reversed polarity, backwards rcas, wrong internal settings and few others. the pioneer deh 80prs is a complex headunit, maybe someone who has one can chime in
@Jeffdachef

What exactly about it sounds "worse"? Is there noise, it just doesn't sound as good? Missing highs/mids? Not balanced? You probably had the Alpine tuned to your liking, now it's time to manually adjust the EQ on the Pioneer.

Pioneer HU's really need their volume cranked up as well compared to Alpine.

What sounds worse is that there are missing highs, mids that don't make you want to listen to them, just boring. Today turned auto eq off,, turned t/a off, set position to front, and used one of the premade sound curves, I forget right now what it was called. Not super bass, the one before it,, aggressive or something like that. Sounds way better now. The highs are back, the mids punch, and the sub is there, but not as strong as I am used to.

I am interested in this concept of a "sound stage". I don't think I have ever really had one before. Isn't that where the time alignment comes in? It doesn't seem to me that the performers are on the dashboard at all, but lower and to the right and left. Not centered.

Please keep the advice coming. I will be doing a lot of reading tonight of the diyaudio tips.

What exactly about it sounds "worse"? Is there noise, it just doesn't sound as good? Missing highs/mids? Not balanced? You probably had the Alpine tuned to your liking, now it's time to manually adjust the EQ on the Pioneer.
Pioneer HU's really need their volume cranked up as well compared to Alpine.

[quote name='mitchell0715']hmm it may just be an adjustment. it's well known that it can be weird or sound bad at first until your ears adjust or set it to your liking. the auto eq isnt for everyone i guess.

my guess on the mistakes you might of made include reversed polarity, backwards rcas, wrong internal settings and few others. the pioneer deh 80prs is a complex headunit, maybe someone who has one can chime in
@Jeffdachef[/QUOTE]

To which internal settings do you refer?, and what are the few others. I have all day tomorrow to spend on tuning this, but I feel it's going to take longer than a day, lol.

What sounds worse is that there are missing highs, mids that don't make you want to listen to them, just boring. Today turned auto eq off,, turned t/a off, set position to front, and used one of the premade sound curves, I forget right now what it was called. Not super bass, the one before it,, aggressive or something like that. Sounds way better now. The highs are back, the mids punch, and the sub is there, but not as strong as I am used to.
I am interested in this concept of a "sound stage". I don't think I have ever really had one before. Isn't that where the time alignment comes in? It doesn't seem to me that the performers are on the dashboard at all, but lower and to the right and left. Not centered.

Please keep the advice coming. I will be doing a lot of reading tonight of the diyaudio tips.
You just need to play with it a lot more and really know the head unit. You arent gonna get it right off the bat. IT could also be that you are too used to how exaggerated the sounds are from cheaper head units.

Need more details on your full system. There's a lot of settings to go over too.

My System:

HU: deh-prs80, duh

amps: rf punch 400-4 (only using front channels to power Polk db6501 components in front)

rf prime 750 (powering an 12" alpine type R in ported enclosure.

speakers: already mentioned above.

My System:
HU: deh-prs80, duh

amps: rf punch 400-4 (only using front channels to power Polk db6501 components in front)

rf prime 750 (powering an 12" alpine type R in ported enclosure.

speakers: already mentioned above.
Do you like sharp highs or just very present? How are the gains set? What is the EQ set too? Have you tried playing with the EQ at all?

What volume are you at on the head unit anyways? On the front 2 and rear 2, what db level is it reading at?

Do you like sharp highs or just very present?
I like the highs not too sharp, but bright enough so that cymbals sound like cymbals. Kinda light and airy.

How are the gains set?

Gains have been set by ear, but I probably could have done better if I knew how to do it with a mm.

What is the EQ set too?

EQ currently set to the one just before super bass. I forget the name of what it is called.

Have you tried playing with the EQ at all?

I've played with the eq, and will do much more so today.

What volume are you at on the head unit anyways?

I never take the volume past 50.

On the front 2 and rear 2, what db level is it reading at?
I don't completely understand what you are asking here. Could you re-phrase the question. What to you mean by front 2 and rear 2?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

PittViper

10+ year member
PittViper
Pittsburgh, PA
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date
Last reply from