Enclosure question for single 12" Fi Q

Participant count
  • Participants list

gamehawk55
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
Hey guys,

So I just did a redesign on the subwoofer box for my Fi Q as I believe the one it's in now is a prefab. But anyways. The recommended ported box on Fi's site for the Q is 2.5cuft with 28-33hz tuning. Now...I don't listen to a TON of stuff that is sub-35hz. So my question is, would this box design be ok? It's 2.5cuft net and tuned to 38hz instead. Any Fi Q guys here that have tuned higher than the recommended spec on this sub? Or should I just tune to 32-33hz? My hopes in tuning higher is to get a little more upper range punch in there. But not if it's gonna sound bad.

View attachment 26552197

View attachment 26552196

As you tune closer to 45Hz or so, it gets louder, but not as musically pleasing. I'd recommend sticking with 30-32hz range. The roll off above the tuning frequency is not as sharp as the roll off below it, so you don't lose as much of the higher end. You can always EQ the 50hz higher.

50hz isn't where I was worried about, it was more the 60-80hz range where the sub really lacks currently. Bass becomes nearly non existent in that range. And tuning to 38hz vs 32 in winISD it showed almost a 1dB gain in that range.

Mids and sub are both crossed at 80hz. I don't like to use any type of boost in the bass frequencies as this will just introduce clipping earlier. I run a flat EQ minus a couple little tweaks to attenuate my highs down a little because my tweeters on my Focals are a bit harsh sometimes. So I would rather bring up the range naturally by way of a new box if possible.

But that being said. Modelling my current box in torres/winISD shows that it might actually be tuned way down at like 27hz but has a tiny 1.75" wide port. So makes me wonder if 32/33hz tuning with a 3.5" wide port would actually do the trick?

I can't tell you much about actual box design. Sorry, earlier I meant to ask where your sub is crossed as well...

I think you should use EQ to see what you can tweak, I think this is the best use of EQ. I honestly think that should do the trick. Is your EQ precise enough for that kind of tuning?

that sub will sound better if its tuned to its recommended freq. I recommend 32. sure you see a 1db gain at 38hz but its gna be inaudible anyway.
Why would 1dB be inaudible when 3dB is said to be twice as loud? Wouldn't a 1dB increase be 33% louder?

Like I said, don't waste your time if you can just EQ it. That's really what EQ is for, to cater to what each individual prefers.
It's not gonna matter when it's a prefab box on a high end sub. It NEEDS a good custom box to let it breath. That 1.75" port is suffocating it on the lower frequencies. Anything below 38-40hz just sounds bad and isn't a nice "full" sound. It kinda gets trapped in the trunk, most likely from port compression.

It's not gonna matter when it's a prefab box on a high end sub. It NEEDS a good custom box to let it breath. That 1.75" port is suffocating it on the lower frequencies. Anything below 38-40hz just sounds bad and isn't a nice "full" sound. It kinda gets trapped in the trunk, most likely from port compression.
I'm confused. Earlier you said 60-80 is lacking, now 38-40 is as well? I mean it only takes a minute to EQ. If you don't like it, build a new box.

I'm confused. Earlier you said 60-80 is lacking, now 38-40 is as well? I mean it only takes a minute to EQ. If you don't like it, build a new box.
60-80hz does lack. But the really low frequencies also don't sound very "full" and don't feel them very much even though the sub is moving alot. This can only mean that it's being held back by lack of port area no? Like I mean the overall music sound of the sub is pretty good. Just a few areas that need attention. And no, the simple P-EQ in my HU is not going to fix it. The box is what's holding it back. I can't boost the 60-80hz range any further with an EQ if it's already getting close to clipping. Need to build a better box to bring it all out better.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.