Extremely low voltage

RoYALbLUE08
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
NYC
Hey guys I need some advice on what to do to bring my voltage back up. I have a 12 SSA XCON d2 sub with crescendo bc2000 amp for the lows and hybrid audio midrange, rainbow tweeters ran active on a crescendo concerto c1100.4 for the highs.

My car is more of a show car so I modded it in every way, from audio, to exterior to interior to full performance.

the issue is my voltage drops to around 11.8 alot and usually stays around 12.2-12.9 most of the time.

i have the big 3 and an optima yellowtop under the hood. also i have underdrive pulleys installed which might be contributing to the 11V range drops, but even before i installed the pulleys it was always around 12.1-12.4

when i drive it is extremeley low, but when i throw the gear into neutral, it bumps up to around 13.2-13.5. i constantly have to put in neutral and tap the gas to keep the voltage a little higher.

so my question is, what is the best thing to do from here? is it adding another battery? or getting a high output alternator? I would rather avoid the second battery as i am trying to keep the weight down in my car.

Oh yeah, one more thing. I do not blast my music to volume to full RMS volume all the time (30/40) on my radio. I usually listen to volume 15-20. I set my volume and gain using the DMM and using the 3/4th method.

any help would be greatly appreciated

Underdrive pulleys definitely don't help. If you add another alt, you'll lose some horsepower under load.
i have a 2008 honda accord lol im not gonna add a second alt, too much customization for me. what else would you suggest i do? either a second AGM battery or a good high output alt?

Drop under 10.8 v and UR optima will internally defect and die about every two months.... HO alt... Best option exspecially if you want to keep weight down and uncluttered... 11v is extreme danger zone for the optima yellow top... Atleast that's what they said when I kept asking.. Why my optimal are dying so much...lol

Drop under 10.8 v and UR optima will internally defect and die about every two months.... HO alt... Best option exspecially if you want to keep weight down and uncluttered... 11v is extreme danger zone for the optima yellow top... Atleast that's what they said when I kept asking.. Why my optimal are dying so much...lol
well ive had this optima since 2012, and recently my starter died on me so i decided to get the starter and battery checked out. the optima was very strong and cranked out i think around 700 cold cranking amps when it was rated for like 625cca

Is UR car any sort of Eco tec? Eco tec fully charged is 11.8 v ... Which is why my car was killin Optimus due to low voltage frying internals... I went with the HO alt with self exciting regulator .... To kick up when car kicks down mostly when i stop....

You need either a stock or overdrive pully. The underdrive pully is lowering the output of your alternator which supplies all the power. Depending on how big your alt is, you still may need to upgrade to a HO alt. I would start with an overdrive pulley, if it doesnt help then look in to HO alt.

even with my stock pulley as mentioned it was the same exact thing with the low voltage, except with the under drive, it lowered by about .3-.5 volts, so still with stock it was very low.

Any recommendations on who to go to for a good high output alternator and how much amps should i make it?

Is UR car any sort of Eco tec? Eco tec fully charged is 11.8 v ... Which is why my car was killin Optimus due to low voltage frying internals... I went with the HO alt with self exciting regulator .... To kick up when car kicks down mostly when i stop....

Nah, its just a regular car with no sort of eco anything lol. 4 cylinder k24z3 motor

i have a 2008 honda accord lol im not gonna add a second alt, too much customization for me. what else would you suggest i do? either a second AGM battery or a good high output alt?
Oh, I thought you already had an aftermarket alt with the underdrive pulley. In that case, one HO alt with a normal pulley should be fine.

You should see how difficult it's going to be for me to add another alt..

Nah, its just a regular car with no sort of eco anything lol. 4 cylinder k24z3 motor
mechman built it... they know about the eco tec been making them around two yrs now i believe... self exciting regulator been around awhile... my car tends to not recharge when stopped to save gas.. the self exciting regulator makes up for it by increasing as its demanded.. after i got my ho alt i went back to stock batt. runs and voltage stays great most i put on it was 3k though... but the regulator may be a option for you eco tec or not... all alts have regulators some have access some dont...

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.