Noobe looking for audio/video advice for my 2015 4Runner

Participant count
  • Participant list

rolldog

I'm not very familiar with the resolutions and types of screens available for installation in a car, but I'm familiar enough with the technology aspect where I'd love for someone to understand what I'd like to buy and have done, if possible, and then point me in the right direction. The local car audio shops have been no help whatsoever.

In my previous car, I bought 4 cheap Pyle headrests to have installed because I knew I was going to be trading in my car soon. They had DVD players and some games built-in, I was disappointed in the quality, but I knew I wasn't buying anything top of the line, and my daughters still enjoyed themselves.

I now have a 2015 Toyota 4Runner Limited, and it has the built-in navigation, Pandora, Weather Apps, rear view camera, USB ports to play audio/video files from, and the 3.5mm input jack that will play both from an Apple device. I don't think I need to change out my main dash stereo, but I will if it will benefit what type of entertainment devices I want to install in the backseats.

I was thinking about buying an overhead display for people in the backseat to watch, and either another (identical model) for people in the 3rd row of seats to watch or installing headrests behind the backseat for whoever is in the 3rd row. I'm really not interested in a DVD player, but if it comes with the device, that's fine. I'd like an HD display, 1920x1080 if possible, HDMI input (MHL compatible would be nice but not necessary), a device that supports Miracast, or whatever it's called in the car A/V world, but I want to be able to stream audio and video to it. If it only works via HDMI, that's fine. I considered just finding something that allowed me to mount a tablet or iPad and use them as monitors, similar to the new Nvidia Auto technology shown off at CES 2015. I'd like each screen to be able to show the same image, but I want to be able to either stream Netflix, YouTube, Amazon, etc from the car through my mobile hotspot, play audio/video through a flash drive hooked into a USB port, or be able to stream audio/video from a portable hard drive I have that has built-in WiFi. The whole concept of using Android Auto seems interesting, so does having a monitor in the front seat, besides the navigation already installed.

Does any manufacturer make the type of equipment that has all of the functionalities I mentioned. The screen quality is probably my number 1 priority. I've looked online and have seen so many manufacturers that I got overwhelmed, and I don't even know what size overhead screen would be the optimal fit. So, if anyone can give me some advice on products that can do what I mentioned, and maybe let me know which manufacturers products are worth buying, I would appreciate it.

Is no one familiar with streaming video technology or is there just nothing on the market that with have all the features I mentioned and integrate well? I considered just buying some brackets that will hold onto an iPad and/or an Android tablet. This way, the devices can be used to do everything they can do now (stream audio and video, play games, etc), which would save me money from not having to buy new devices and they can be removed whenever they want.

The difficult decision is deciding if the new Pioneer NEX units are worth replacing my stock radio for since it seems like the functionality is the same.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...

About this thread

rolldog

rolldog
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date
Last reply from