Better Start Bat or Bat isolator

Participant count
  • Participant list

aemelio

So Im trying to build up to running a 2000-3000 watt amp to a Sundown 15" SA Series. Im young so i can't be dropping a ton of cash left and right so I'm trying to build up everything else before I drop the money on those two. Right now I'm running a Fossgate 400.2 amp to 2 Fosgate R2s. My car is a 2005 Honda Element on stock bat and alt. My alt is 110 amp alt and I'm already having headlight dining with my current setup and my start bat is brand new (oem Honda bat)

My question is would it be better to just buy a nicer starting bat like a yellow top for my future setup or would it be better to get a second battery and run a bat isolator. I know isolators are more for running your system when your car is off which i want to be able to do but it also sounds like when your car is on they help save your start bat too by distributing the load. Im trying to avoid buying a new alt because they're expensive as **** and i can't find anyone thats actually found one that works with my car, and i think mine is to weak to just straight up be running two batteries off it.

hmm, you kind of answered your own question with the question..

If you're not willing and able to upgrade the alternator then you need to downgrade your system goals, with a 2000 watt amplifier it would be drawing 144 amps and that's just for your amplifier, add another 50 amps for your ignition, fuel injection, wipers, headlights, etc..

A 200 amp alternator would be the smallest you could use.

Bump system power up to 3000 watts and now it's drawing 217 amps not including the ignition, fuel injection, etc etc..

It doesn't matter how big or how many batteries you have if the alternator can't supply the required current flow, with your stock 110 amp alternator your electrical system could hypothetically support a 900 - 1000 watt sound system, be realistic with your goals and design the system around the existing infrastructure..

Don't buy a 3000 watt amp then scratch your head and wonder why it's not making rated power with the 110 amp alternator..

Volts x Amps = Watts, Watts / Volts = required current, when the engine is running you have 13.8 Volts so do the math just keep in mind the alternator has to run much more than just the sound system..

start with a 2nd battery, the proper wiring (big three) and go from there. I feel like you're still going to need a high output alternator, I had a 105amp stock alt on my chevy truck and with about ~1500w rms being pulled my voltage would get dangerously low lol, made my engine upset i could feel it get rough from the ignition not getting enough voltage.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.