Stay with Memphis or go Sundown?

JJ_Stin

VA
Well guys, I'm gonna get me an aftermarket HU in my 06 4Runner. I don't have the JBL stamped anywhere on the doors or such. What do you guys have or would recommend? I would like to put this in the back, don't wanna take up too much room in the back, though.

My budget is $800-$1000 with everything.

I do have a couple of headunits picked out.

Pioneer AVH-X2700BS DVD receiver at Crutchfield.com

Kenwood Excelon DDX392 DVD receiver at Crutchfield.com

Just want Bluetooth for sure and I don't need Nav or HD Radio.

Amps I have no clue.

I do have an one 12" Memphis Mojo, its pretty big that use to be in my car, I the bass is awesome on that, but don't wanna go that big.

I did stopped by 2 audio shops today. First one said, I should keep my sub box and the Sub in it. It's a great setup. He offered me a Kenwood 491 HU installed be $399 and a Memphis amp for $250. With the installation of the amp and all the wiring for subs and etc, it be $794.

2nd one was a Sundown Audio dealer. He also said I should keep the sub box, that's a great setup, also. He told me you can get one 12" X Sundown Sub and put it in that box. It'll be better then that Mojo you have in it right now. Also with a Kenwood/Pioneer HU installed. Everything will be about $800. If I trade my Mojo for the Sundown X, including the amp.

So should I trade up and get the Sundown? Or just keep the Memphis setup, I have currently?

Thanks!

Me personal hate memphis anymore. I just bought 5 15" Mojo x's. I used one to test in my daily ride. For the price (retail $750.- $800) I got at dealer cost of $400 i thought they look nice and they are beefy subs. They were total garbage, The test one burned up. sold 3 of them 2 of the 3 burnt and still stuck with one brand new one. I went with all American bass HD's no comparison they crush Memphis. The amps are junk now to well should say everyone but the mojo amps (i like them, but touchy) PR 1000's burn up all the time. Sundown is no comparison in my opinion. If your happy with what you got why change it? If you want something new than i'd go sundown. GL with your dealings

Me personal hate memphis anymore. I just bought 5 15" Mojo x's. I used one to test in my daily ride. For the price (retail $750.- $800) I got at dealer cost of $400 i thought they look nice and they are beefy subs. They were total garbage, The test one burned up. sold 3 of them 2 of the 3 burnt and still stuck with one brand new one. I went with all American bass HD's no comparison they crush Memphis. The amps are junk now to well should say everyone but the mojo amps (i like them, but touchy) PR 1000's burn up all the time. Sundown is no comparison in my opinion. If your happy with what you got why change it? If you want something new than i'd go sundown. GL with your dealings
Thanks on your input.

Avoid audio one like the plague if that's the shop.
Man, I live on the other end of the state near Bristol, haha.

810c442cdb342502fdd11e10dd92acbf.jpg

There is the pic of my current setup.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

New Pr1000's or the older PR's? old School Mojos we nice subs

Well guys, I'm gonna get me an aftermarket HU in my 06 4Runner. I don't have the JBL stamped anywhere on the doors or such. What do you guys have or would recommend? I would like to put this in the back, don't wanna take up too much room in the back, though.
My budget is $800-$1000 with everything.

I do have a couple of headunits picked out.

Pioneer AVH-X2700BS DVD receiver at Crutchfield.com

Kenwood Excelon DDX392 DVD receiver at Crutchfield.com

Just want Bluetooth for sure and I don't need Nav or HD Radio.

Amps I have no clue.

I do have an one 12" Memphis Mojo, its pretty big that use to be in my car, I the bass is awesome on that, but don't wanna go that big.

I did stopped by 2 audio shops today. First one said, I should keep my sub box and the Sub in it. It's a great setup. He offered me a Kenwood 491 HU installed be $399 and a Memphis amp for $250. With the installation of the amp and all the wiring for subs and etc, it be $794.

2nd one was a Sundown Audio dealer. He also said I should keep the sub box, that's a great setup, also. He told me you can get one 12" X Sundown Sub and put it in that box. It'll be better then that Mojo you have in it right now. Also with a Kenwood/Pioneer HU installed. Everything will be about $800. If I trade my Mojo for the Sundown X, including the amp.

So should I trade up and get the Sundown? Or just keep the Memphis setup, I have currently?

Thanks!
I'd take the pioneer over the kenwood solely because of the tuning options you get with it. Time alignment along with 13 band EQ will give you nice control of your music.

You should also learn how to install this stuff yourself. With the money you pay others, you can easily get WAAAY better equipment.

Also the sundown place sounds too cheap to be true, a sundown X with an amp that properly pushes it would already cost close to the 800 dollar quote by itself. You need to know the model of the amp they put in, it might be garbage and you dont know. But hell if the sundown dealer can get you a head unit, sundown X and a proper amp like a sundown amp installed for 800 dollars, i'd go with that. Sounds too good to be true though.

On a side note, the sundown X sounds very different then a traditional woofer. IF you want a traditional sound tell them you want the SPL surround or else it'll be a linear sounding low note monster. Personal preferences come in to play with that.

I'd take the pioneer over the kenwood solely because of the tuning options you get with it. Time alignment along with 13 band EQ will give you nice control of your music.
You should also learn how to install this stuff yourself. With the money you pay others, you can easily get WAAAY better equipment.

Also the sundown place sounds too cheap to be true, a sundown X with an amp that properly pushes it would already cost close to the 800 dollar quote by itself. You need to know the model of the amp they put in, it might be garbage and you dont know. But hell if the sundown dealer can get you a head unit, sundown X and a proper amp like a sundown amp installed for 800 dollars, i'd go with that. Sounds too good to be true though.

On a side note, the sundown X sounds very different then a traditional woofer. IF you want a traditional sound tell them you want the SPL surround or else it'll be a linear sounding low note monster. Personal preferences come in to play with that.
I would be trading my Memphis Mojo for the Sundown X, thats how its $825.

I don't know for sure what model the Pioneer HU would be.

get precise models, know whats being done to your car, bust out a check list down to the very size of wire they use.
Theguy told me today on the Sub is a Sundown X12 D2 & Amp SAE 1000. Thoughts and Suggestions?

If you were happy with the subwoofer previously I'd keep it. Ge a single din that does bluetooth + a amp and save a couple hundred.
Yeah I might be doing that, I'm gonna buy the Pioneer 2700 HU. What amp do yall suggest me to get?

If I stay with the Mojo? The sub is only an 1.2 OHM. Least have a thousand watt amp?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.