Massive Audio Hippo12

I just upgraded from XFL 12s to these Massive Audio Hippo 12s There wasn't much information on them but I went off of price...specs and the parts being used to influence my purchase. I got the subs in the mail on Wednesday and first impressions were accurate to what I had assumed. .build quality and materials are the same as the SQhdc3 other than the cone is pressed paper on the Hippo but has a coating that makes it even stiffer also the basket has the same coating which looks nice as well. Needless to say these are very heavy subs and I cant say it enough for anyone sceptical about the build quality these are beautiful well engineered subs! I had them installed in my box inverted first 4.37cu' only got a few hours of play time but I was impressed with how much low end they had over my old xfls.

id like to hear some other opinions and how they stack up against other subs at the price point.. i like the looks for sure and they seem to be built pretty strong. is the build quality better than the sq's?

A friend of mine runs SQ hdc3 12s Imo the hippos are the exact same sub but they definitely get lower and sound better doing it ...other than that the only difference is the look but for anyone sceptical on power handling these subs will easily take 2k rms its not a hyped rating there just not under rating but even at 2k there is still some head room im sure

I read the spec sheet directly out of the box ...the sensitivity on these subs is not 95.99 1w/spl that is a 2.8v/spl rating the actual 1w/spl is 86.4 for the 122 these are not hyped specs just the information put in the wrong places over the retail websites. ..im sure this will clear up as more are sold and they become more popular

These have a much lower FS than a soundqubed sub. They might feel the same but the TS specs are different. These subs are geared a lot more towards the low end of the sound spectrum.

Do you think they would work in a sealed enclosure?

Well I guess with the lower FS it would be possible. I'm just curious on how big it would have to be

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:
I had one hippo 122 on a sq2200. Sounded great for just one sub in a trunk car. I just replaced the hippo with an hdc3 d1 so I'm now running at .5 ohm to my amp. From my experience, the hdc3 has better sound quality. It hits harder and with more authority than the hippo. I'm still breaking in the hdc3 btw.

As previously mentioned, the hdc3 and hippo look nearly identical when placed side by side. Both are great subs! I switched to the hdc3 because I wanted to stay with one 12 and run at .5 ohm. Also I love SoundQubed, and they were having a big sale //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

massive subs are awesome dont get the credit they deserve I had a summo124 it was so clean low and well built prefered over my sq all day. I will say they are extremely power hungry though they want tons of pwer to really move. Anyone interested id suggest trying I was very impressed and im more of a sql guy.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...

About this thread

AudioMan4Life
Ithaca,NY
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date
Last reply from