Trying to assemble first "real" system

poolman966554

Senior VIP Member
PA
hello everyone! been reading for a few days now, and seen this is a very knowledgeable forum! Thanks to all that make it happen!!

ive always had some kinda stereo in my car from the age of 16. all was "used best deals" all compiled together.. never anything good.

well, i think i wanna change that now. My buddy drives an envoy, and had 3 (old) jl w0, and went to 2 W3s' on his oldskool jl amp. sounds pretty good honestly.

i drive an 07' crv, and mostly listen to dubstep, and oldschool rap. Rock too, but not enough for tuning consideration. i currently have a pair of rockford fosgate P1s' ran off an old kenwood 350w amp.(i know, its terrible). Any ways, ive read alot about the newest stuff (ive been out of the game for almost 10 yrs) and see that sundown sa-12s' have a pretty good rep among most forums. So im willing to make that purchase on 2 SA-12s. Slightly more than the jlw3s'.

For the box, i was going to build my own from the plans on sundown audios website. i (think) is a ported 4sq' @35hz

For the amp, well thats where you guys come in. Ive always liked rockfords amps. Always overbuilt. So, i think i wanna power via rockford.

ok, so theres my subs

SA-12D4 x2 (wired to 1ohm)

box

4sq'@35hz

vehicle

in a 2007 crv (rear firing)

I have a couple specific questions i hope you guys could answer.

First, ive found plans for a 4sq' box that can tune for 30hz, up to 40hz. whats the advantage/disadvantage of both for the genres' of music i listen to??

Secondly, i think ive got it nailed down to 2 amps. just not sure if the $$ differnce is worth it.

1) R1200-1D

2) P1000X1bd

Both amps output roughly 1400w rms(dynamic)@1ohm but i found the r1200-1d $143 cheaper. is the punch really worth it??

I will add, i dont currently have additional battery power, or a cap. my 100amp alt on my car wont provide enough current, and i will experiance excessive light dimming on trying to fully power the amp.. That said, im planning on powering up to my vehicles limits. so gain will be adjusted by the "seat of the pants" thing. An xs battery is in near future. I dont want to buy the 750.1 amp, then upgrade batteries, and then want a Second amp..Also, havent yet peformed the "big 3". plans are to do when it gets a bit warmer out.

I appreciate your time to read this, and any feed back you have. Opinions welcome! Hope to learn lots! Thanks!

Apparently, old Rockford was good. However, you can get better stuff than their new amps for less money.

XS is great if you have the extra cash to spend, but there are other good AGM batteries out there for a lower price.

interesting.. i wasnt aware their "quality" has fallen off.. that kinda sux..

so what are some good options to research into? Thanks gary for the insight on the bass ph4000. looks good! just kinda worried about the price..

Ive always experienced you get what you pay for .. Sometimes you pay too much though. Hence why im here. trying to figure out whos running what and what people like.

im still not sure about which tuning i should shoot for. As i mentioned Sundown suggestted plans for 2 12's are 35hz @ 4 sq'. Is that the best for my genre? i always thought you tuned your box to the music you play, not the subs??

Edit: example of a song i like to "play loud"

interesting.. i wasnt aware their "quality" has fallen off.. that kinda sux..
so what are some good options to research into? Thanks gary for the insight on the bass ph4000. looks good! just kinda worried about the price..

Ive always experienced you get what you pay for .. Sometimes you pay too much though. Hence why im here. trying to figure out whos running what and what people like.
Rockford thinks their competion is kicker,pioneer, ect. Best buy brands. When they say they are doing something new and imitative it's stuff that's already been done by purist brands but the people shopping rockford don't know purist brands exist

To get the most out of two SA 12's, you'll need a fair amount of power.

You will definitely need the big 3. Like stated above, a good AGM is also a must.

Will you need a HO alt? Probably/hopefully not.

I'd say go with one SA 12 or 15 (depending on space) and a 1k amp. What's the budget?

The owner of sundown is a finnicky guy. He likes things to sound good. The sa12, in its recommended box will play low enough and have good reach. American bass has proven themselves to be a good company. Even on the internet they don't get bashed much. Are they "american".... nope but they have a decent cost/performance ratio. Going with one sa12 on 1000 watts to start is not a bad idea. You haven't mentioned anything about your front stage.... or I missed it. A single sa12, in a proper box, with good power can and will overpower your factory highs. At least in my opinion. I can't tell you the last time I heard factory systems that sounded good loud. So I may be way off there.

im still not sure about which tuning i should shoot for. As i mentioned Sundown suggestted plans for 2 12's are 35hz @ 4 sq'. Is that the best for my genre? i always thought you tuned your box to the music you play, not the subs??
Edit: example of a song i like to "play loud"

Its best to tune the box to match the sub and music choice.

http://www.caraudio.com/forums/advanced-sql-spl-discussion/613379-best-way-tune-your-enclosure-set-gains-based-your-music-library.html

Download winisd pro to see what kind of musical response you will get and tailor the response graph to your music library.

thanks for the responses guys. for the front end, i currently have factory. imo, they sound pretty decent . very crisp highs. 4 door speakers, with indash tweeters

price? lol. dont wanna break the bank? im waiting for c.card rollover to avoid interest.

that said, i have $440 for sundowns, and was hoping less than $300 for amp.

then was planning on purchasing an aux battery.

then, replace door speakers and tweeters

Then, i was looking into an android deck..something like this:

Android4 4 4 Stereo for Honda CR V CRV Car GPS Nav DVD Steering Wheel Controls | eBay

sounds risky.. but my buddys gonna order one soon as his touch screen **** the bed.. ill evaluate his.

HO alt looks like $450 for me.. kinda outta my range, as im not trying to enter comp. my crv is considered a "every other day driver"

I like the idea of a single SA. CRV isn't exactly a huge car, and an SA in a good box getting 600-800w should be pretty impressive.

I made a similar change a few years back -- from two Eminence 12's to a single Lanzar Optidrive 12 -- and actually got louder - and definitely lower.

That would free up the budget a little to do something with your front stage and add a 2nd amp to run it. You might think it's loud enough, but when you have a sub that is serious in the 30's you'll find your stock fronts have no chance of keeping up. Besides -- music like the stuff from your youtube link is going to have a lot more material in the front stage than the sub(s). Plus, needing 1/2 the sub power will give your stock alt a much better chance of surviving for a while.

FWIW - I run about as much power to my front stage as a lot of people run for ther sub(s) -- it blends nicely with a 12".

I'd tune the SA in the mid 30's.

The "ideal" box (according to winISD pro) is about 2 cf and tuned in the mid 20's, but gaining that output in the 20's (where music rarely goes) gives up a lot of output in the 40's where a lot of music spends a lot of time -- so the mid 30's makes a lot more sense and the freq. response is still pretty flat.

awesome info guys!

so its settled, 2 sundown 12s' @35hz

unfortunately, i feel compelled to have 2 12's.. i have my entire life. id hate to go to one, and have to re-do it..not sayin i dont trust you guys! i think im "looking forward" to the increase.

*edit* even if i have to purchase HO alt, i will

I like the reviews for the vfl 4480.1D that gary mentioned in earlier post, and its within my amp budget.

i found this : http://www.caraudio.com/forums/amplifier-reviews/563177-american-bass-vfl-hybrid-4480-1d-mini.html

Any thoughts of comparision between the vfl 4480 vs :

PPI Black Ice BA7000.1

Soundstream TA1.3000D

they all seem to be approx same price range

Thanks again guys!

Here's my two cents for the amplification of your music. I just recently acquired an Arc Audio KS 900.6 6-channel amp off of Ebay. Haven't installed it, yet, but everyone I talked to said this amp is a beast. Brand new, it lists for $879. I purchased mine for $300 and is in mint condition. There are two of these bad boys currently listed on Ebay (one is "buy it now" for $325 with free shipping and other is up for auction, current bid is $300). I do believe these to be of ultra-high quality and are a bargain at around $300...with no need of a second amp. Check out the specs on the Arc Audio website. What got me was the s/n ratio of 107db (I was also considering a new Zapco ST-5X but s/n was only about 85db). There is also an independent review of this very same amp under the "reviews" tab on their front webpage. Check out the review. I went with Arc Audio because I think the SQ is going to be much better than with the Zapco.

This is just my two cents. I see you have just bought a sub amp for about $245, so looks like my suggestion is a little late. Hope your endeavors go well and your sound systems sounds great!

Last edited by a moderator:
Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.