Opions on Fi Audio SSD 12

Participant count
  • Participant list
I recently got my hands on a Precision Power PC2350 and a PC450 and looking to do a Sound Quality build. I'm looking at going with 2 FI Audio SSD 12" subs. I have a 4.2cuft custom made box with a 1.5" baffle. I talked FI and they recommended that I soften the subs some and get internal leads because my amp puts out just over 1600 watts RMS. Has anyone ever soften the sub and does it make any difference? I'm also open to other subs. I am looking for good SQ and able to hit low notes. Thanks for any help.

Softening the sub will make it slightly more efficient on lower power. If fi recommended it i would do it. They've been in this business along time. Other subs to look at are ssa gcon, tantric md, ascendant audio chaos or havoc(which ever is the lower power model), sundown sa series, american bass xr, theres more but those are the ones off the top of my head.

FI had told me it will be more effiecent and that being the reason I would soften them. Also recommended I get the integrated leads.
Well, whether it was that you misunderstood them or they tried to greatly simplify something for ya, at the end of the day the stiffness of the driver does NOT affect the efficiency. Dan Wiggins (Adire Audio if you were in the car audio scene back then) made a very good post on this very subject. In his example below, he is talking about making a driver stiffer as oppose to making it softer, but the end results are the same:

Actually, making a driver stiffer won't affect the efficiency. Take a given driver; halve the compliance of the suspension (make it twice as stiff). Do not make ANY other changes to the driver. You'll find the efficiency of the driver does not change - at all.
Dan Wiggins

Adire Audio
UNITS: Liters, grams, Hz, cm^2 when not specified...
Efficiency is:

n0 = 9.64*10^(-10) * Fs^3 * Vas / Qes

Vas is:

Vas = Cms * 1180 * 343^2 * Sd^2

Fs is:

Fs = 1 / (2 * PI * SQRT(Mms * Cms))

So, when you decrease the compliance, you make the suspension stiffer. Vas goes down. Vas is proportional to Cms.

Of course, this raises Fs - see what happens to Fs when you decrease Cms! Fs is inversely proportional to Cms.

Now, look at efficiency... If you decrease Vas, you decrease efficiency. HOWEVER, you also raise Fs. Which means you raise efficiency. And in fact, the two changes are complimentary to each other, so that the Vas decreases at a rate where the change to Fs results in no net change to efficiency.

Dan Wiggins

Adire Audio

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.