Hertz? ESK 165L.5 vs HSK 165

Alex81
10+ year member

Deciding between these 2 models by Hertz since eliminating Focal due to the tweeters. Would like to purchase the MLK 1650.3 yet only at the price I've seen them for across Europe, particularly Italy & Germany, but having difficulty with communication on shipments to the U.S. the ML 165 is one of the best woofer designs I've ever seen.

Know the HSK is a stronger driver, yet I prefer the design on the ESK. Feel the shape of the woofer would project music better in smaller spaces. Are the only differences between the ESK 165L.5 & HSK that the latter has a 5mm longer voice coil, different material for the woofer, and starts the frequency range 10 Hz earlier at 40 opposed to the 50 on the L.5?

if any of you have ordered from Italy or Germany before I'd appreciate your advice. Would much rather get the impressive MLK 1650.3 for under $600 as you can on various locations across Europe, yet won't spend the $1k + in the few places I've seen it here in the states.

Only recently learned of Hertz due to not upgrading my car audio for a few years and always using the same 3-4 sites to order from. Strange how hard it is to find such a high quality product like hertz on hardly any websites. Woofer etc, ABT (which doesn't list prices) and Amazon are the only U.S sites I believe I've seen that carry them. You know of any others?

Appreciate any assistance or recommendations gentlemen

Clarus C61-2

Supposed to be comparable to the MLK line.

heard that on the Amplified show on youtube.

I have the ESK line installed and I think they sound great. Not that ive ever really heard anything to compare them too. The car audio scene around here is non existent but they arent total trash. If you've got the cash. Everything i hear says go for the HSK line.

Though my next step is the clarus.

Clarus C61-2
Supposed to be comparable to the MLK line.

heard that on the Amplified show on youtube.

I have the ESK line installed and I think they sound great. Not that ive ever really heard anything to compare them too. The car audio scene around here is non existent but they arent total trash. If you've got the cash. Everything i hear says go for the HSK line.

Though my next step is the clarus.
i've had the Clarus and Imagine lines and we put them in the sound board at the local shop to compare side-by-side with many speakers. HSK was better than the Clarus by a huge margin. Nothing i've heard compares to MLK - and the first time you hear them you wonder what's missing, then you realize it's not adding anything. i returned the Clarus to HAT. I will say that when I put the Clarus in a custom enclosure for auditioning in a room, they sounded good. Not as good as others, but good. So if you plan on custom kicks or sealed door pods, you can probably get the Clarus to sound good. People consider the Legatia series to be a top tier speaker - but i see a lot of Legatia for sale as well - which tells me that people are wanting something else.

A sound board isn't an ideal location for critical listening but it is an even playing field for evaluation of speakers in IB with consistent tweeter locations relative to the woofer. We use an Alpine HU with processing defeated feeding an Audision LRx amp when auditioning.

Just wondering, but what makes the Hertz ESK nearly unlistenable to you?
a ton of midrange distortion - it adds to what's there. a tweeter that sounds poor at the crossover point they use.

now, it's not that i'm a snob or audiophile, but there are a lot of speakers that i consider unlistenable - meaning i'd rather drive in silence than have them on. it's also why i don't rent cars when i travel for work.

The specs don't show a significant difference between the two lines, yet the HSK is in another stratosphere per everyone I've heard make comparisons of the two.

well that suxs, of course I have the ESK. Anyway they sounded pretty good to me in the showroom, but when I put them in the car they sounded very different, which was why I was asking in a different thread about panel resonance.

well that suxs, of course I have the ESK. Anyway they sounded pretty good to me in the showroom, but when I put them in the car they sounded very different, which was why I was asking in a different thread about panel resonance.
ah. best you can do with them is treat the doors per my recommendations and maybe run active so you can change crossover points/settings.

Sorry to go off topic, but does going active make a big difference, I have never gone this far with tuning.
running active gives you more control - so you can change the crossover points/slopes and level based on your specific install. passives are generic and not always the best setting for every possible arrangement.

changing points/slopes/level can make a HUGE difference and turn an "unlistenable" set into an enjoyable set.

which ESK do you have? each version is different. The newer black cones are better than the older orange cones.

Mille Legend? Thoughts on the new speakers?
I should clarify that I have the most experience with the MLK-165 which uses the ML-165 and ML-28. I haven't spent time with the new Legend series, and they've made drastic changes to the construction. The new crossovers look smaller, the new tweeters are not tunable (but stuck with the 920Hz fs I prefer and still have high- and low-density damping).

Compared to the next-gen ML1600 i prefer the older ML165.

The ESK series has certainly made good strides to becoming better than it was. But just stealing the V-Cone concept but applying it with cheaper materials isn't a recipe for success.

I did testing to compare the legit MLK-165 vs. the fake MLK-165. Two speaker systems that are nearly identical cosmetically could not have sounded any different. The fakes were awful, you'd make faces when listening to them compared to the legit speakers. of course, T/S and impedance sweeps were also different.

running active gives you more control - so you can change the crossover points/slopes and level based on your specific install. passives are generic and not always the best setting for every possible arrangement.
changing points/slopes/level can make a HUGE difference and turn an "unlistenable" set into an enjoyable set.

which ESK do you have? each version is different. The newer black cones are better than the older orange cones.
Hertz

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.