Help with enclosure size please

Participant count
  • Participant list

sweety
10+ year member

Hi guy's, could do with a little help on what would be the best size ported enclosure for a 12" Pioneer Ts-W305 sub spec's here = http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pio/pe/images/portal/cit_11221/126763076TRD1215-A.pdf It states a 1.65ft^3 enclosure but am I right in thinking this is the min size the sub will work in ? I was guessing something like 2ft^3 enclosure might be better but i'm no enclosure designer by any means. The sub will be getting 480w RMS & prob tuned to 32Hz. This build is for my Son's Hyundai coupe S3 but he's not very good at woodwork so i've got the job of doing it.

Any help or advise would be great

Cheers

Neil

Cheers came across that last night, If I changed the depth & hight over (say the depth is 18" & hight is 14" & changed it to 14" depth & 18" hight) would the port tuning still be the same ?

http://www.the12volt.com/caraudio/boxcalcsm.aspUse this to calculate volume. Yes it would be the same.
Many thanks, i've used that a few time when building enclosures for myself & for my Son's last build 3x 12" subs in his old car & been happy with the results as i'm no enclosure designer but have only used round ports before but this time I think he's wanting a slot port which is harder for me to work out

Cheers came across that last night, If I changed the depth & hight over (say the depth is 18" & hight is 14" & changed it to 14" depth & 18" hight) would the port tuning still be the same ?
If its a slot port, then the tuning would not be the same. If its an aero, it would depend on how close you were to the rear wall. If you are the aeroport's diameter away from the rear wall, those would count as your port length also, if you change that you might raise the tuning a few hertz.

Even if the slot port width & total length of the port were the same ?
yeah because you have a different height. You'll have a different cross sectional area and it'll throw everything out of proportion. You'll need a smaller width and readjust the port length etc. Use WinISD, torres box calculator to help crunch your numbers.

Thanks for the help so far guy's, I've tried using winISD but just can't get past adding the driver spec's in as it never seems to save them:( maybe i'm just getting to old for this. I've had a go at trying to work it out on paper but not sure if i've worked it out right or not but here go's 32.5"wide x 16"high x 13"depth with a 2.5" slot port 37.75" long (down the centre of port) should give me a volume of 2.11ft^3 & tuned to just under 33Hz ?

Thanks for the help so far guy's, I've tried using winISD but just can't get past adding the driver spec's in as it never seems to save them:( maybe i'm just getting to old for this. I've had a go at trying to work it out on paper but not sure if i've worked it out right or not but here go's 32.5"wide x 16"high x 13"depth with a 2.5" slot port 37.75" long (down the centre of port) should give me a volume of 2.11ft^3 & tuned to just under 33Hz ?
You are actually at 1.6 cubic feet tuned to 37hz with that and you actually have too much port area. Narrow the port width to 2 inches and cut port length to 30 inches, you'll have 2 cubic feet at 33hz and you'll have the proper amount of port area per cubic foot.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.