kinetik installation question

Participant count
  • Participant list
Is it better to run a seperate ground on my amp and on the kinetik opposed to just running it from amp to battery and battery to ground? I am asking because some people say you could do it both ways, so I unhooked my capacitor, hooked up the battery and all seemed fine at first, now my car won't start after sitting overnight. Lights and all come on, but no crank. I also installed another fuse in back by the kinetik so I have one up front and in back. So is running the amp and battery off the same ground causing a short and not to start?? Thanks

Is it better to run a seperate ground on my amp and on the kinetik opposed to just running it from amp to battery and battery to ground? I am asking because some people say you could do it both ways, so I unhooked my capacitor, hooked up the battery and all seemed fine at first, now my car won't start after sitting overnight. Lights and all come on, but no crank. I also installed another fuse in back by the kinetik so I have one up front and in back. So is running the amp and battery off the same ground causing a short and not to start?? Thanks
From what I'm reading, your kinetik is your rear battery because you have the stock one for your car up front. Assuming that's the case, you have to have two ground wires; one for the battery and one for the amplifier. That's exactly what my setup has. I have a rear battery and that battery has to be grounded and then your amplifier, instead of grounding that wire, you can just link it to the negative terminal on your rear battery. So that way, you only have one wire that's actually grounded because the ground wire for your amplifier is connected to the negative terminal of your rear battery. I feel it's best that way. If those issues still arise, you can check your ground and make sure it's on some place that has all the paint scraped off and that it's grounded properly. I also have two fuses, I have a fuse from the main battery to the rear, and another fuse from the rear battery to my amplifier. Make sure the wire from your main battery to your rear battery is 0G. So honestly it sounds like you're doing it right!

From what I'm reading, your kinetik is your rear battery because you have the stock one for your car up front. Assuming that's the case, you have to have two ground wires; one for the battery and one for the amplifier. That's exactly what my setup has. I have a rear battery and that battery has to be grounded and then your amplifier, instead of grounding that wire, you can just link it to the negative terminal on your rear battery. So that way, you only have one wire that's actually grounded because the ground wire for your amplifier is connected to the negative terminal of your rear battery. I feel it's best that way. If those issues still arise, you can check your ground and make sure it's on some place that has all the paint scraped off and that it's grounded properly. I also have two fuses, I have a fuse from the main battery to the rear, and another fuse from the rear battery to my amplifier. Make sure the wire from your main battery to your rear battery is 0G. So honestly it sounds like you're doing it right!
So then it is right from amp to battery, and from battery to ground? If that is the case, then why no car starting anymore? It never happened when I used the cap and even before I had a cap it was starting fine....

So then it is right from amp to battery, and from battery to ground? If that is the case, then why no car starting anymore? It never happened when I used the cap and even before I had a cap it was starting fine....
This happened to me before as well, car not starting. BUT it was because the battery was dead, along with my front battery. Because when you chain them together, it draws so much more energy and it has a big impact on your alternator. Unplug the rear battery and see if the car starts, if that's the case you might need a new battery. Try and check the voltage of the battery. When this happened to me I needed to get a new battery. Check the voltage of both the front and rear battery separately. What model kinetic is it?

This happened to me before as well, car not starting. BUT it was because the battery was dead, along with my front battery. Because when you chain them together, it draws so much more energy and it has a big impact on your alternator. Unplug the rear battery and see if the car starts, if that's the case you might need a new battery. Try and check the voltage of the battery. When this happened to me I needed to get a new battery. Check the voltage of both the front and rear battery separately. What model kinetic is it?
It's only the hc600b. No way I could need a new battery tho. I barely got that battery within this year and it is a duralast gold. The voltage on the kinetik was 12.3 when I checked before I connected it, and I'm not sure the voltage up front, but I will check. I just find it weird it started perfect once I first hooked it up, and I even drove the car for like 15 mins too. Go to sleep, wake up to go to work, and nothing. I was thinking about maybe just grounding the amp and the battery at 2 diff spots like others mentioned also

Also check front battery terminals
I'll recheck the terminals too, but I"m sure they are fine. Cars been starting perfect since day 1 of that new battery under the hood, then suddenly nothing. I feel like Im getting a short like someone mentioned if you grounded them together

Yeah, I have that same battery now; the hc600. It shouldn't cause a problem, it's a tiny one. Well then I guess. Have you tried to turn the car on, but with the rear battery hooked up and NOT the amplifier hooked up? Because if the amplifier isn't hooked up to the battery, and only the rear battery is hooked up to the front and the car turns on, then you should just try to reground the amplifier in another spot.

Now if it's the other way around, and you can somehow get a hold of a distribution block, you can put the amplifier hooked up to that instead, without the rear battery, and see if it turns on then. If it does, then it's the battery and you'll have to reground that somewhere else.

Yeah, I have that same battery now; the hc600. It shouldn't cause a problem, it's a tiny one. Well then I guess. Have you tried to turn the car on, but with the rear battery hooked up and NOT the amplifier hooked up? Because if the amplifier isn't hooked up to the battery, and only the rear battery is hooked up to the front and the car turns on, then you should just try to reground the amplifier in another spot.
Now if it's the other way around, and you can somehow get a hold of a distribution block, you can put the amplifier hooked up to that instead, without the rear battery, and see if it turns on then. If it does, then it's the battery and you'll have to reground that somewhere else.
For sure, Ill try to unhook the amp and start the car and see what happens. I don't quite understand your quote with the 'distribution block' statement tho.

Thanks for replying and helping tho. Much appreciated

For sure, Ill try to unhook the amp and start the car and see what happens. I don't quite understand your quote with the 'distribution block' statement tho.
Thanks for replying and helping tho. Much appreciated
Stinger SHD20 HPM Series Power or Ground Distribution Block

That's an example of one. Instead of a battery, you can just use the distroblock. So the power wire from the front battery, run it straight to this distroblock in the back, then from there, attach your amplifier power wire to it. Then you just ground your amplifier somewhere good. When you do this instead of the battery, and your car turns on, then you know it's a battery/battery ground issue.

Stinger SHD20 HPM Series Power or Ground Distribution Block
That's an example of one. Instead of a battery, you can just use the distroblock. So the power wire from the front battery, run it straight to this distroblock in the back, then from there, attach your amplifier power wire to it. Then you just ground your amplifier somewhere good. When you do this instead of the battery, and your car turns on, then you know it's a battery/battery ground issue.
It seems like your saying what I already have, except for the ground part. I am not sure what you mean 'distroblock' still tho. Right now I have power wire from front battery to back battery, then from there to amp. Then I have ground to kinetik then kinetik to amp... I will try to unplug my ground from the amp and see if it starts... When your saying distroblock, you basically just mean chassis correct?? So if I take the amp ground off the battery and it starts, then I could just ground the amp seperate and run the kinetik and amp with seperate grounds then right?

just because its new or a few months old means nothing. everything can and WILL go bad. you need to check it. are you sure your amp is not staying on ?

that will drain your battery. having a bad ground can do it also.

if you dont have the tools to check your battery, pull it from your system.... is everything ok now ?? if so have it checked...

It seems like your saying what I already have, except for the ground part. I am not sure what you mean 'distroblock' still tho. Right now I have power wire from front battery to back battery, then from there to amp. Then I have ground to kinetik then kinetik to amp... I will try to unplug my ground from the amp and see if it starts... When your saying distroblock, you basically just mean chassis correct?? So if I take the amp ground off the battery and it starts, then I could just ground the amp seperate and run the kinetik and amp with seperate grounds then right?
a distro is ( like 1 wire going in and 2 or 3 or 4 wires out.) some have fuses some dont.

and yes you can run separate ground wires .

KonFUSED 4 Way Fused Distribution Block - Merchandise

just because its new or a few months old means nothing. everything can and WILL go bad. you need to check it. are you sure your amp is not staying on ?that will drain your battery. having a bad ground can do it also.

if you dont have the tools to check your battery, pull it from your system.... is everything ok now ?? if so have it checked...
Ok, I see what the distroblock is. I never knew what that was called but I have seen it before. And yea, the amp turned off, and it is the same ground I was using before I had my cap, when I had my cap, and started once when I first connected the battery. You think now that maybe that I have a battery hooked on it now that it would cause the ground to suddenly not be strong enough? It worked fine the whole year I had my system. I also have a dmm so I will check the voltage

so your saying you pulled your cap, took the ground off the cap and put it on the battery right ?

if so i dont think its the ground. but because your having problems you need to start checking everything.

start with the easy stuff first.

i would first check your power/grounds at the battery. then get the battery load tested. if it passes then start going down the line.

check wire from front battery to the back... check alt. ground to frame,, front battery ground to frame/body.

but if you had no problems using the cap and all you did was pulled it and put a battery in. well i would say ether the wires going to the battery are loose or a bad battery.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.