Problem when daisy-chaining amps

Hi All,

Just got a 2015 Mustang and am working on an amp and sub install. I want to continue using the stock HU since I like MyFordTouch and Sync so I'm using a 2ch LOC off the rear deck speakers. Both amps are Alpine MRV-M500s (500RMS@2ohms and both subs are Alpine Type-R SWR-1243d (300-600RMS, 4 ohm DVC wired in parallel to 2ohm and verified with DMM).

Individually, each amp and sub works as expected. If I then add RCAs going from the preamp out on the first amp to the preamp input on the second, the level drops considerably and the sound becomes distorted. I would estimate the level as 10% of what I get when using 1 amp and sub. I've tried changing the order of the amps and using different cables between the amps, to no avail. I called Alpine tech support, but they were unable to offer much advice. They did say the configuration I'm wanting should work fine. The did suggest using an RCA Y adapter directly off the LOC and going into each amp directly. I tried this, but also get the level drop and distorted sound. They also suggested the subs are out of phase, but I've verified polarity end-to-end.

I'm not sure what's going on here and am out of ideas, so any input is much appreciated.

Thanks, Thomas.

i use a 9v battery to test every speaker and sub i have when instaling it to varify that each terminal is labeled properly... that 1 in 500 chance its wrong is worth testing for. touch the + of the 9v battery to the + on the speaker terminal and same for the - of both. the speaker should push out of the basket. only do this for a quick split second. dont sit there with 9v battery powering your speaker to push out for any leingth of time.... will cause harm. if you flip the battery and touch - to + the speaker cone should pull in its eazy peazy even a cave man could do it.

but

clearly its an un denyable way to see if your termials are labeled properly - and that multiple sub setups are all in phase with eachother....

dont want one sub pushing in while the others are pushing out.

the LOC might be the problem.
Or the LOC wiring...

I can't count the number of times I have sold "Out-the-door" systems (sub, box, amp, amp-kit, LOC) to customers, just to see the customer come back saying...."You sold me CRAP!!!"....Then we check the install and the LOC is wired out of phase. 5mins later...we fix it and it works.

Anyways...I still say....

Try wiring one of your subs out of phase (w/ the amps daisy-chained).

Then, post the results.

I have seen amp outputs RCA outputs that are out of phase.

Thanks for all the help guys. Here's what I did this morning... in the rain... on Thanksgiving... Can you tell I really want this system up and running //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

I pulled both subs from the enclosure. Verified my jumpers looked good and were still connected. Verified wiring inside the box and made sure I was getting 2 ohms at the speakers and at the connector on the outside of the box. Good deal.

Next, I reinstalled both subs and used brian84corvette's battery tip. Can clearly see both speakers being PUSHED OUT. Reverse polarity to the battery and can see both are PULLED IN. Loverly.

Here's where I strayed from advice about the LOC... I put a lot of work into this. It's not a shoddy job and that sum bish is soldered and heat wrapped. Really don't feel like cutting stuffs that I'm 99.99% sure is correct, just to resolder and heat wrap it again. I was also drenched by this point and feeling like I want some turkey insead of dealing with this craptastic crappidy crap. Thankfully, I have a home recording studio and pretty much every audio cable and adapter known to man. I dug out a 3.5mm mini jack to stereo RCA cable and connected my phone directly to the input of the amp. Unfortunately, this part is not a good deal or loverly. The problem remains.

Next, I intentionally wired one sub up with reversed polarity. Same.

Last, it was not mentioned here, but I disconnected the sub from the second amp and daisy-chained the amps. It also has the problem with the sub not connected.

I just don't get it.

Hope everyone has a happy Thanksgiving!

well - the 3.5mm phone jack cable should be enough to run the amps - its exactly what im using on my system now ( no headunit ) so i would look in to your power wire runing to the amps as well as the ground connections to them.

use the 3.5mm mp3 player cable to hook to your amps individualy and varify they play corectly one at a time ?

well - the 3.5mm phone jack cable should be enough to run the amps - its exactly what im using on my system now ( no headunit ) so i would look in to your power wire runing to the amps as well as the ground connections to them.
use the 3.5mm mp3 player cable to hook to your amps individualy and varify they play corectly one at a time ?
Hello Brian,

Yes, everything works fine individually. They also worked fine individually when connected to the LOC. I can have everything connected (except the RCAs disconnected from the 2nd amp) and playing fine. When I connect one of the RCA to the second amp, the level drops. When I connect the other, it drops even more. The audio also becomes distorted. I've tried changing the order of the amps and doing the same test, with the same results.

Hello Brian,
Yes, everything works fine individually. They also worked fine individually when connected to the LOC. I can have everything connected (except the RCAs disconnected from the 2nd amp) and playing fine. When I connect one of the RCA to the second amp, the level drops. When I connect the other, it drops even more. The audio also becomes distorted. I've tried changing the order of the amps and doing the same test, with the same results.
If I read your op correctly, you stated that you daisy chained from the pre out to the other pre out? Correct me if that's not the case. It would be preout to input of the second amp. Also possible you have bad rcas.

If I read your op correctly, you stated that you daisy chained from the pre out to the other pre out? Correct me if that's not the case. It would be preout to input of the second amp. Also possible you have bad rcas.
Hello CSCStang,

I said preamp output on the first to the preamp input on the second. These amps have both preamp-level inputs and speaker-level inputs. I stated it this way to make it clear I was not using the speaker-level inputs. I chose to use a separate LOC that provides remote power, specifically for the remote power. Plus it makes it easier to swap amps in the future.

Hello CSCStang,
I said preamp output on the first to the preamp input on the second. These amps have both preamp-level inputs and speaker-level inputs. I stated it this way to make it clear I was not using the speaker-level inputs. I chose to use a separate LOC that provides remote power, specifically for the remote power. Plus it makes it easier to swap amps in the future.
Ok. Yeah I have a 2012 and my first upgrade I just ran high level off the rear deck. Maybe try running one off the high level and one off the low and see if that works.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.