Tuning my amp (Its confusing)

Hoots

Florida
I have a sundown audio sa 12 in 32 hz ported box

Im running it on a precision power s550 @1ohm

The back of the amp is confusing me , there is no gain nob. It is as follows level , lpf , and subsonic.

Hers a diagram : Precision Power S1300.1D Owner's Manual And Installation Manual (Page 8 of 12)

What should my lpf , subsonic and level be set at? And why is there no gain nob. Also what direction do i turn the screw , thats also confusing theres no arrow or anything...

I am scared of clipping and messing up my sub , so I'm scared of doing it by ear. Where do I plug in my multimeter , because when I plugged it in and used a 50hz test tone I was picking up nothing.

I am extremely confused and scared of messing up my equipment , help me asap and ty!

Level IS your gain, gain is just voltage matching your head unit output. lpf and subsonic are your preference but gereally the lpf is set to 80 or 100 and subsonic set it to 24 since your tuned to 32.

and for your dmm are you hooking it up right? if you put it to your amps power and ground do you get a reading around 12.6v with the car off but in accessories?

---------- Post added at 01:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:47 PM ----------

and make sure bass boost is at 0db

Do i even need to use my multimeter then? My hu says preamp voltage is 2 volts so just set it to 2? Also this may seem dumb but I dont know which ways to turn the screw to control the levels , there is no arrow so I dont know where to stop so the volts is at 2 , same goes for all the others I dont know how to tell where to stop. Also once everything is matching I should be gucci? I have this irrational fear of underperforming or destroying my ****. One last thing I disconnected my stock speakers for now , can I still play my subwoofer for dubstep in the meantime?

yes you do because thats not what we means by matching voltage watch this video

and as for the lpf and subsonic you kinda have to guess but start with the knob turned ALL the way to the left and thats 40hz for lpf and 10 for SS

So when i start the tone i should have my lpf at 40hz and 10 for ss and 5v for the level? Then after Im done with the level I can adjust the lpf and sub to what you said?

According to the diagram i linked I have to disconnect my speaker wires from the output in order to use the dmm?

If i remember right this is around where my stuff was i was also tuned to 32, and had my lpf at 80. so start with that.

as for the gain just have your sub DISCONNECTED turn your volume up to around 80% and have your dmm connected and just match the voltage turn it up or down till you get to 26v or whatever its supposed to be for 550rms@1ohm

b52HO0I.jpg

Subsonic is a mechanical filter which is set... mechanically.

LPF is a preference filter to your application.

No matter where you set the gain, it will never be perfect so no use in attempting to measure voltage, etc..

Use your ears and nose.

Oscilloscope is the best, but things can change even after you set your gains.

I don't use an o-scope, and I don't expect you to. Wish I could though..

There is no perfect way to set gains

So its cool if i do it by ear , or just match the voltage to my hu?

How loud should 550 watts be for a sundown audio sa 12 , i feel like mine is underperforming. Ive seen videos with that much wattage and it flexes hard for only 500...

Isn't doing it by ear less accurate and risky?
Isnt setting it by a certain number and assuming everything is good so you monitor nothing and then something goes wrong more risky?

The best way is to actively monitor it. Ears, nose, taste... if you are crazy, lol.

You can use tools to get idea where you should be but dont assume its set right forever.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

Hoots

Hoots
Florida
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date
Last reply from
Hoots