To 'Big 3' or Not? - Vehicle./System Ino Inside

cas0586

WV
Well, I butchered the thread title and can't change it. My apologies. Looking for opinions on whether or not doing a big three upgrade is worth while on my vehicle with installed components listed below.

Very modest here, but leaps better than stock.

The battery in this vehicle('96 Aurora) is under the rear seat. There is a 20 foot run of 4 gauge wire from battery to alternator(about the same to the starter). Split at junction box under hood. It has 140A stock CS144 alternator.

I have a short five foot run of 4 gauge wiring from battery to 5CH amplifier. Do not experience any dimming issues or low voltage at idle with stereo cranked that I have noticed thus far.

Due to the long run of wire and '1200W' amplifier would upgrading to 1/0 cable be worth while. I figure this would be benefit the stereo system. While also benefiting starting/charging system. I would be upgrading typical 'big 3' as well as larger gauge to starter and fuse blocks.

What is the consensus here? The upgrade is going to cost around $100 with KnuKonceptz 1/0 and proper terminals.

Thanks in advance!

Always worthwhile, especially since you'll probably be upgrading. Just fuse the wire, at both ends, don't burn your car to the ground.
If your planning to upgrade you'll probab need bigger than 4 guage. And with your currant setup it won't make any difference. Your alt is plenty big enough.

If your planning to upgrade you'll probab need bigger than 4 guage. And with your currant setup it won't make any difference. Your alt is plenty big enough.
You quoted the wrong person. Also not sure why his alt being big enough matters at all.

The facts at its giving his cars bat plenty of power as is. He's running a boss 5 channel so he's lucky if he's getting 5-600 rms. And I quoated you on purpose. And question if alt size doesn't make a diff. then why do people buy bigger ones? Because of higher current draw. A 140 amp alt and a stock batt are plenty for under 1k anything over that or if he had a alt unde 100 amps then I would be worth doing. There's just no way that amo is doing a true 1200 rms. But either way I'm. Not here to argue just giving my opinion is all

Highly doubt the amplifier will be upgraded at any point unless it fails.

Thought the factory 4 gauge was kind of small for 20' run. The actual wire from the alternator to positive junction is probably about 6-8 gauge though. As are the positive cables to the fuse boxes. Photo below of breakout harness from junction box to alternator(upper) starter(lower).

%24(KGrHqZ,!hwFCrv2RWeeBQt5m9tGs!~~60_57.JPG

Prolong alternator and battery life as well as get more 'juice' to the starter on cold day through that long run of wire?

If it would be beneficial and justifies the cost of the project I'm all for it.

I am focused more on a whole. Not just from the stereo point of view. If it is going to benefit the charging system regardless of the stereo as well more power to starter it sounds worth it, no? I'm addressing the factory run of 4 gauge wiring here too. I'm not an engineer here but seems small for that run from beginning.

Also is the KnuKonceptz 1/0 about the only worth buying other than welding cable? Stay away from anything labeled CCA??

Also is the KnuKonceptz 1/0 about the only worth buying other than welding cable? Stay away from anything labeled CCA??
CCA has its use if you're not running that much power. It's much cheaper than OFC and can work just fine in your application. It's only if you're planning to upgrade in the future is where you should use OFC. KnuKonceptz sells both CCA and OFC so make sure to read the details and pick accordingly. Welding wire is also a great choice as you still get OFC and it's cheaper than name brand.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.