Need some advice for my new system.

CplCuddles

Certified Meme Warrior
I currently have 2 JL W3V3-4s on 1kw. I'm going to upgrade soon, I decided that I wanted DD Audio. Now I plan to get 2 DD9915s, but I will have to do this over a while as this will cost quite a bit. What I'm curious about is if it is worth it to buy 1 9915 and install it until I get the second or rather wait until I have both. My guess would be to install it as the 2 JL W3s would have nothing on a DD9915, right? Also, I was told by my local car audio "guru" that I should power the 9915 with a m3a which he said would be about 3kw, I've seen quite a few people put 3-3.5kw on a 9515 so, I was thinking maybe I should do an m4 or something with more output. I currently have the JL's tuned to 32Hz, I am wanting the 9915s tuned at around 22Hz when I have them both in. Thoughts on this as well? Any input is appreciated.

I currently have 2 JL W3V3-4s on 1kw. I'm going to upgrade soon, I decided that I wanted DD Audio. Now I plan to get 2 DD9915s, but I will have to do this over a while as this will cost quite a bit. What I'm curious about is if it is worth it to buy 1 9915 and install it until I get the second or rather wait until I have both. My guess would be to install it as the 2 JL W3s would have nothing on a DD9915, right? Also, I was told by my local car audio "guru" that I should power the 9915 with a m3a which he said would be about 3kw, I've seen quite a few people put 3-3.5kw on a 9515 so, I was thinking maybe I should do an m4 or something with more output. I currently have the JL's tuned to 32Hz, I am wanting the 9915s tuned at around 22Hz when I have them both in. Thoughts on this as well? Any input is appreciated.
Intalling one at a time really doesnt matter granted you dont mind having to buy another box for two. A dd m3 will put out way more than 3000 if you have the electrical to back it up. Are you trying to power these things daily or for spl?

Intalling one at a time really doesnt matter granted you dont mind having to buy another box for two. A dd m3 will put out way more than 3000 if you have the electrical to back it up. Are you trying to power these things daily or for spl?
Daily, but I want them powered to the maximum they can play at constant power. With my JLs I bought one at a time and the original one I bought died about 2-3 months after I bought the second one (it was a few years old.) I'm just kinda worried about them being "off-balance," idk if that is a thing, but I always noticed that the one I bought first flexed a lot more than the newer one, I even matched the power and ended up balancing the power so they flexed the same, up until it died (The coil literally detached.)

I also had another concern, for the longest time I didn't know what brand or sub to get. Now I'm just curious between two, the DD 9915 & 9515. SQ difference? SPL difference?

First off dd has never been considered even remotely as a sq sub. If you buy one at a time. That will depend on how long it takes to get the second sub Only issue would be one is broke in the other is not. As far as amp the dd m4a is what you want. But even that amp won't move a pair of 99 subs well. 2 amps will. Also tuned at 22 hertz is really low maybe to low for dd subs. And you'll need a monster electrical system to back that

I agree with mylows10, DD isn't really known for Sq but there are plenty of people who love them for what they are. 22hz is way too low of a tuning. You will lose alot of output. The lowest I would go is 28hz and thats only if you want to emphasize on the lows because your midbass will start to be lacking. Just depends on what music you listen to most of the time. For daily SQ, I would tune at 30 or 32 hz. I have heard that DD subs likes to be tuned in the mid 30's though because of their FS. Would you consider another brand? What are your goals for this setup?

I agree with mylows10, DD isn't really known for Sq but there are plenty of people who love them for what they are. 22hz is way too low of a tuning. You will lose alot of output. The lowest I would go is 28hz and thats only if you want to emphasize on the lows because your midbass will start to be lacking. Just depends on what music you listen to most of the time. For daily SQ, I would tune at 30 or 32 hz. I have heard that DD subs likes to be tuned in the mid 30's though because of their FS. Would you consider another brand? What are your goals for this setup?
Honestly, I just want a lot more power to my system. I love how JL's sound, they have a smooth bass, I've heard american bass and its kind of rough bass. I was considering DC at first then AA then DD. I honestly want a system that hits hard af (for when I wanna show it off) and also has SQ at least close to my JLs. I listen to Decaf a lot, so that was why I originally wanted to tune super low, but with some thought I was thinking more like 28Hz would be sufficient, I much prefer having heavy hitting lows and not as much high. I've been considering the AA SMD Series 15".

I have heard some DD's in person as well, I havent heard DD subs in a daily before, only in a pure SPL setup. I've heard 8 9515s and then another with 4 9518s. I mean they sounded like the kind of bass I like, but around here not very many people have actual good systems so I can determine what kind of subs I should get. I've heard A LOT of positive reviews and opinions on DD though.

And on-top of that, this is going into an 05' Monte Carlo, so I have a limited amount of space, which is why I have also been considering just getting 1 18 and calling it a day. No sure which would be better as either way I'm working with limited trunk space.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.