Alt Problems

Participant count
  • Participant list

NinjaBass

Low Bass Lover
North AL
I was making an hour and a half drive back home tonight when I got about half way my alt stopped charging. I was driving down the road and my voltage was sitting at 14.8 as usual when all the sudden it dropped to 12. I thought maybe my volt meter is messing up and then I looked on my 80prs and it was saying the same thing. So I went ahead and drove the rest of the way and during that time it went from 12 to 11.7 but after I got back home and turned my car off the batts floated back up to 12.2. So two questions are my batts fine and did my regulator go out or what it the deal?

Yeah I looked to make sure everything was connected good, but will look again tomorrow when it is daylight. Is there anything I could do to check the regulator?

Yeah I looked to make sure everything was connected good, but will look again tomorrow when it is daylight. Is there anything I could do to check the regulator?
Yea. Start your car. Pull the pos wire off the alt see if it dies

How many batts are you running ? You need to start the car and disconnect all the batts from the alt. If it runs. Alts good if it dies alts bad

How many batts are you running ? You need to start the car and disconnect all the batts from the alt. If it runs. Alts good if it dies alts bad
Two batts. One up front and one in the back. So just take the wires going from my alt to the batts off after I start the car

Two batts. One up front and one in the back. So just take the wires going from my alt to the batts off after I start the car
Yes disconnect them from the car completely so that the car runs off the alt only. If it dies bad reg

Yes disconnect them from the car completely so that the car runs off the alt only. If it dies bad reg
I really dont see how this is advisable.. especially in newer cars i would think. Youre going to see a nice voltage spike if the alt is working and that may not be very healthy for your 12 volt electronics. do it the proper way and take it to autozone or the like and have them test them for you

I really dont see how this is advisable.. especially in newer cars i would think. Youre going to see a nice voltage spike if the alt is working and that may not be very healthy for your 12 volt electronics. do it the proper way and take it to autozone or the like and have them test them for you
The alt shouldn't spike if this is done. It will either run or die period

The alt shouldn't spike if this is done. It will either run or die period
Yes, there will be spikes, a battery helps to smooth those transients to ground. In modern charging systems they wont be healthy for semiconducters within the system. I dont know its not something I would think would be the best idea, when you can just load test the batteries first, a much safer alternative. Sure it may have no negative effects at all but theres no reason to risk it if you can get the car to autozone or load test the batts yourself

Yes, there will be spikes, a battery helps to smooth those transients to ground. In modern charging systems they wont be healthy for semiconducters within the system. I dont know its not something I would think would be the best idea, when you can just load test the batteries first, a much safer alternative. Sure it may have no negative effects at all but theres no reason to risk it if you can get the car to autozone or load test the batts yourself
We've already determined the batts are good the alts not charging for some reason. Op you can also start the the car and clamp the power wire on the alt that will tell you if its putting out the recommended amperage as well from what you have already said it sounds like a bad reg. you can pull the alt and take it to autozone. But u doubt they have the equipment to test a ho alt correctly for amperage voltage yes but not amperage

We've already determined the batts are good the alts not charging for some reason. Op you can also start the the car and clamp the power wire on the alt that will tell you if its putting out the recommended amperage as well from what you have already said it sounds like a bad reg. you can pull the alt and take it to autozone. But u doubt they have the equipment to test a ho alt correctly for amperage voltage yes but not amperage
What is the easiest way to clamp the power wire on the alt

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

NinjaBass

Low Bass Lover
NinjaBass
North AL
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date
Last reply from