Sub smelly at rms?

Participant count
  • Participant list

ylpkm

Hey guys,

I have a Team Jugg 18 rated at 2k rms and (allegedly has 4 inch p-p excursion) dual 2 ohm config. It is in a 7 cu ft box with a port area of 90 sq inches tuned to about 30 -31 hz (port is external). I have my amp tuned to 88 volts to my max listening volume from HU.

So 88*88/4=~2000 watts. Tuned with -3db tones.

after like 5 min at rms, it begins to smell a little, Im a little worried it could be the coil. (was listening to Boom (37hz) by Protohype when I noticed the smell.)

The amp is an old school MM4000.1 so it can do rated. Voltage stays above 13.3 at all times, (car idles low //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif ) I have 240 amp alt, 70 ah up front, 140 ah in back and 2 sets of maxwell caps in back. Box was built quickly and I think there is the smallest gap that I will be fixing here soon. Could the smallest hole in the box cause the woofer to overwork itself? Amps ssf is around 28-31 hz, no small delineations, i have to estimate where it is exactly cause it just has 15 and 35hz marks.

O-scope shows signal is clean, HU does not clip rca's. Other ppl have appeared to have pushed the sub harder and longer without damage. I may try to reseat the sub and ensure gasket is nice and flush and get the small hole patched up. Small hole is just a sliver of a crack. What else could be the cause of this? I know some people say a glue smell is different from a burning coil smell, but I'd rather not burn anything. Sub has not really had a break in period so to say.

Thanks guys

Its either clipping without you knowing, or you're sending it more power than you suspect. Setting gain with a DMM doesnt work very well. as mentioned use the O-scope while your playing songs and watch the waveform

Had this same problem with my wife's oas. I found out that it was my music that was clipped. It only did it with a few bass boosted songs that she got off the interweb and some songs she played thru her phone off YouTube. If u babe audacity u can check your songs for clipping and correct it.

Had this same problem with my wife's oas. I found out that it was my music that was clipped. It only did it with a few bass boosted songs that she got off the interweb and some songs she played thru her phone off YouTube. If u babe audacity u can check your songs for clipping and correct it.
I wouldnt correct it too much because I dont like how audacity compresses files into mp3s, a lot of data is lost in the compression and before you compressed it, someone that bass boosted it compressed it too. The music loses soo much purity that it'll be audibly bad compared to original. I'd just abandon that file, go on piratebay and search for 320 KBPs versions of that song then perform a clean boost yourself therefore limiting the compression to only one generation.

I didn't know that. Cause my version of audacity only works on wma or wav files. Will not work on mp3 for some reason. I dont use it much anymore as i got the hookup locally on loss less cd's.

Ill try to get back to you guys in a few days, I have work today and a roadtrip to go on, dont have time to fix it before i leave. Guess ill just have it turned down a bit in the meantime.

Dang sorry for not getting back quickly, weather got very cold and just today got around to finally messing with the sound system. All right, so I bought a can of gap fill and sprayed it in spots that may have needed it, and reseated the sub. It sounds alot different, and better. It used to sound sloppy and now its tighter, hits the highs with more authority, and the lows... whew... now you can feel the lows in your ears rather than just the air movement.

O-scoped the amp again with 60hz -3 db, and 40 -3db and clean signal, tried a few songs and still clean with slow bassnotes. Although, in the song

on the o-scope the kick has a soft clip like look to it. (the amps lpf is at 100hz)
signal.png

Thats what the peak of the kick looked like, it looked like it had a curve at the small concave part, even then, very small clip if it really is clipping, but all other songs seemed clean. (and voltage was low cause my car was idling during the entire o-scope test around 13.2-13.3 volts. Did not drop lower than 13 volts.)

Woofer has more cone control at lower frequencies, so either there was a hole that the gap filler filled, or the sub is now more flush with the mdf. But yeah, no stink during the short test and during the sine wave oscope test. And signal looked clean at all other songs and tests I ran, so I will see how this setup works for now.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.