Just a thought

Participant count
  • Participant list

NinjaBass

Low Bass Lover
North AL
So since May I have been running an IB setup and like it pretty good(not having a big box in my trunk more than anything) but just think about different stuff I could do. I was looking back at my build pics and this idea popped in my head. Probably dumb but how would it work if I made a wall across my trunk about where that white paint starts where that wire is coming up through the board. Sealed everything off really good and dropped in ports from my rear deck. Might not even be enough air space for the subs idk I have not measured

IMG_2078_zpse29f5f29.jpg'%20alt='IMG_2078_zpse29f5f29.jpg'>

Though IB setups work good in a typical trunk the more air tight that you make it...you'll gain lower and cleaner bass response...back in the day when we did IB setups and tried to seal the trucks we'd use candles to detect air leaks....

Well I am talking about making it into a ported. Like make a wall between my amps and subs and porting down into the chamber from the rear deck

I've thought about the same thing actually but how would you be able to measure the airspace and do the tuning right? Is the rear speaker holes covered right now? Are you just gonna play around with aeroports until you get it right? Would be a great idea if it actually works. A ported box in your trunk without actually having a box. Genius.

lol this is really noob of me but I've been wondering what an IB setup is and now i see... whats the "IB" stand for?
It's when you use the whole trunk as a giant sealed box basically.. Gotta seal it up real good though. It's in alot of SQ setups and you don't have to sacrifice trunk space!

When you install speakers in doors, it's considered Infinite Baffle as well.

If you're just gonna slap a wall up, without paying attention to the volume the chamber creates, and simply throw a port in there it is very unlikely you will be rewarded with a decent preforming alignment

I've thought about the same thing actually but how would you be able to measure the airspace and do the tuning right? Is the rear speaker holes covered right now? Are you just gonna play around with aeroports until you get it right? Would be a great idea if it actually works. A ported box in your trunk without actually having a box. Genius.
Yeah I took the speakers out and boarded up the holes. And yeah idk about the air space besides measuring as best you can. As for the tuning yeah it would probably just come to playing around with the ports till you get it right. This is just something I thought about and thought it would be pretty cool

If you're just gonna slap a wall up, without paying attention to the volume the chamber creates, and simply throw a port in there it is very unlikely you will be rewarded with a decent preforming alignment
yeah I was not meaning just do that lol

Yeah I took the speakers out and boarded up the holes. And yeah idk about the air space besides measuring as best you can. As for the tuning yeah it would probably just come to playing around with the ports till you get it right. This is just something I thought about and thought it would be pretty cool
I thought about this idea for the longest time too but in my mind I just thought, it wouldn't work. Too many variables. Even if you measured, you would still be way off. But who knows.. maybe if you played around with ports long enough, it can work. Just never seen anyone successfully do it without actually building a box inside their trunk.

I thought about this idea for the longest time too but in my mind I just thought, it wouldn't work. Too many variables. Even if you measured, you would still be way off. But who knows.. maybe if you played around with ports long enough, it can work. Just never seen anyone successfully do it without actually building a box inside their trunk.
Yeah it would probably be lots of time and trail and error if it ever did even actually work

Yeah it would probably be lots of time and trail and error if it ever did even actually work
It just seems unlikely that you will be able to create enough volume, but you could always get in there with packing peanuts and see how much space you have

Even if it did work, the alignment would be thrown off the moment you put something in your trunk. I feel it defeats the purpose because what's the point of having all this trunk space if you're not gonna use it. IB on the other hand, won't change much if you like putting a bunch of stuff in your trunk.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

NinjaBass

Low Bass Lover
NinjaBass
North AL
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date
Last reply from