Last Thoughts?

bgowdy
5,000+ posts

Heroes are remembered, but legends never die
Ok so im going to be building my enclosure for DC XL18 this weekend before our show coming up and im just trying to make a final decision. I have 2 different scenarios im trying to decide between.

Im wanting to know(in your opinion) which would possibly work out better. I know theres know way to know which will perform better with out testing, but im just wondering whaet you think would work out better.

The amount of power im using will be about 1800 rms for now but will be upgrading to about 3k, im tuning around 37-40hz(my medium of daily and SPL). I dont really listen to anything under 35hz, thats just me.

I want SPL>DAILY. So i want daily but still able to meter for the occasional comp

The 1st one is - 5.5 Cubes(after displacements) net with a single 8" aeroport which would be 9.13 sq-inch of port per cube.

The 2nd one is- 6 cubes (after displacements) net with a Single 10" aeroport which would be 13.1 sq-inch of port per cube.

so im just looking to get some finals opinions. thanks guys

Ok so im going to be building my enclosure for DC XL18 this weekend before our show coming up and im just trying to make a final decision. I have 2 different scenarios im trying to decide between.
Im wanting to know(in your opinion) which would possibly work out better. I know theres know way to know which will perform better with out testing, but im just wondering whaet you think would work out better.

The amount of power im using will be about 1800 rms for now but will be upgrading to about 3k, im tuning around 37-40hz(my medium of daily and SPL). I dont really listen to anything under 35hz, thats just me.

I want SPL>DAILY. So i want daily but still able to meter for the occasional comp

The 1st one is - 5.5 Cubes(after displacements) net with a single 8" aeroport which would be 9.13 sq-inch of port per cube.

The 2nd one is- 6 cubes (after displacements) net with a Single 10" aeroport which would be 13.1 sq-inch of port per cube.

so im just looking to get some finals opinions. thanks guys
I'm pretty sure the 10" would be more spl.

ok just curious which would you do?
I love big ports myself, notice a huge increase in efficiency when I went from a 3 inch wide slot port to a 5 inch wide slot port on two threatcon 12s. Its a bit peakier but still handles music just fine and responded to power a lot better.

I love big ports myself, notice a huge increase in efficiency when I went from a 3 inch wide slot port to a 5 inch wide slot port on two threatcon 12s. Its a bit peakier but still handles music just fine and responded to power a lot better.
hm... how does it increase, repsonse? i figured the smaller port would respond better. Being peakier is not a hug deal for me. Yea big ports always look better lol

however, that might not be the case for all subs, each sub acts differently and i've never used a DC sub, but I've seen a level 4 xl 12 in a small burp box with a huge 12 inch port before doing 150.1 in a GTI hatchback

hm... how does it increase, repsonse? i figured the smaller port would respond better. Being peakier is not a hug deal for me. Yea big ports always look better lol
Had to set the gains a few hundred rms lower because it bottomed out when set to 2000 watts on the dmm. With the smaller port, it handled 2000 just fine but was not as loud as the bigger port on less power. Same tuning on both

Had to set the gains a few hundred rms lower because it bottomed out when set to 2000 watts on the dmm. With the smaller port, it handled 2000 just fine but was not as loud as the bigger port on less power. Same tuning on both
hm... i may end up doing the 8" because idk if i will be able to find a 10" aeroport

Thats what I got out of talking to dave the box guy about my future plans for 2 18s.
How long is his wait time now? or you buying plans from him? I bought 2 boxes off of dave and they were absolutely great craftmanship. It took forever though and his waiting list is getting longer and longer everyday. I remember he was so busy to the point where he had to tell everyone that he will no longer do custom builds until further notice. He's a great guy to work with though and responds to your emails quick.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.