Why I am FINISHED with JL AUDIO.

tritiumglo

I have been a major fan of JL Audio for over 20 years. I have thousands of dollars of their products. Recently, I pulled my W0 15s out of storage for use in a home theater application. As I was installing the older but practically unused drivers into the enclosure the surrounds literally fell apart. Now, my 2 channel room that uses a single 12W3 started making a horrendous noise. The surround is falling apart on it as well !!!! Disintegrating!!!! Strange since it is in a home application with no extreme temperatures or humidity........

I did not consider these failures to be the end of the world. The response that I got from JL was. No parts are available for any drivers that are not current gen. They basically told me they cannot and will not fix them. I told them I was not trying to get a freebie and expected to pay for repair. Forget it. If your JL drivers are not current you can pretty much forget parts and service. I was referred to a 3rd party speaker surround company. So now its either throw these away or re foam them myself. I can do it but I would rather pay JL to do it. I guess thats not an option. The scarier scenario is what if a W7 owner suffers a surround failure and cant get it fixed? That would be a grand in the garbage can!!!

Apparently this is a common issue. JL has since changed the surround material to rubber instead of the garbage foam that falls apart.

I have heard some dealers complaining about JL customer service issues. One store was VERY unhappy about the way JL was handling a warranty claim on a Fathom. I ignored the warnings but now I can see it first hand. I have been buying and promoting JL since the early 90s. My patronage is apparently meaningless to JL.

This is a shame. JL has always made some of the best SQ products in existence. A very well designed and excellent sounding product. It is most unfortunate that if you encounter a problem you are on your own.......................

I have been a major fan of JL Audio for over 20 years. I have thousands of dollars of their products. Recently, I pulled my W0 15s out of storage for use in a home theater application. As I was installing the older but practically unused drivers into the enclosure the surrounds literally fell apart. Now, my 2 channel room that uses a single 12W3 started making a horrendous noise. The surround is falling apart on it as well !!!! Disintegrating!!!! Strange since it is in a home application with no extreme temperatures or humidity........
I did not consider these failures to be the end of the world. The response that I got from JL was. No parts are available for any drivers that are not current gen. They basically told me they cannot and will not fix them. I told them I was not trying to get a freebie and expected to pay for repair. Forget it. If your JL drivers are not current you can pretty much forget parts and service. I was referred to a 3rd party speaker surround company. So now its either throw these away or re foam them myself. I can do it but I would rather pay JL to do it. I guess thats not an option. The scarier scenario is what if a W7 owner suffers a surround failure and cant get it fixed? That would be a grand in the garbage can!!!

Apparently this is a common issue. JL has since changed the surround material to rubber instead of the garbage foam that falls apart.

I have heard some dealers complaining about JL customer service issues. One store was VERY unhappy about the way JL was handling a warranty claim on a Fathom. I ignored the warnings but now I can see it first hand. I have been buying and promoting JL since the early 90s. My patronage is apparently meaningless to JL.

This is a shame. JL has always made some of the best SQ products in existence. A very well designed and excellent sounding product. It is most unfortunate that if you encounter a problem you are on your own.......................
Dude almost all car audio companies are like that nowadays. They'll pin the blame on you, go through hours and hours for an RMA, headaches left and right. However you have to understand how they work, they get a design, send it to the manufacturers and mass produce, they dont keep age old sub woofer parts, they move on, Research and Development goes on and parts used are changed They are not going to have a spare just to fix very old version subs. Maybe if it was 3-4 years ago then possibly. Gotta tell you straight up though, you are a bit on the OCD side. You'll be definitely disappointed with all other car audio companies if you have a problem with JL's customer service.

Fixmyspeaker.com pretty much has all the things you need for a successful re-foam for all the old JL subwoofers.

Thanx for the reply and info on the re foam supplier. My W3s are only one gen behind. They are the ones prior to the single voice coil models. So maybe on the W0s. No way is this acceptable on the W3.

I understand some of the issues. Companies are being overwhelmed by abuse. Not the case here. No abuse. No overpowering. No clipping. Babied from the day they were unwrapped.

I guess I am spoiled by other good companies such as Mcintosh and PSB. Paul Barton still has parts for the Stratus Golds that I bought in 1990!!!

Thanx for the reply and info on the re foam supplier. My W3s are only one gen behind. They are the ones prior to the single voice coil models. So maybe on the W0s. No way is this acceptable on the W3.
I understand some of the issues. Companies are being overwhelmed by abuse. Not the case here. No abuse. No overpowering. No clipping. Babied from the day they were unwrapped.

I guess I am spoiled by other good companies such as Mcintosh and PSB. Paul Barton still has parts for the Stratus Golds that I bought in 1990!!!
Yes those were the epitomy of car audio SQ goodness. Thats why some of the older members truly feel car audio is dying off.

old stock is old stock. even though its only a few years that design is gone. It would be like walking into autozone asking for an off the shelf part for a model t, doesnt happen

I gave up on JL for the same reason. lets face it, JL equipment is very overpriced for what you get. Look at that 12w3. It's a 2.5 inch voice coil, a 40 oz. magnet and a cheapie foam surround. From a regular company, the same sub would cost $75-$80. From JL, it's $240. Then you get crap customer service to boot.

I gave up on JL for the same reason. lets face it, JL equipment is very overpriced for what you get. Look at that 12w3. It's a 2.5 inch voice coil, a 40 oz. magnet and a cheapie foam surround. From a regular company, the same sub would cost $75-$80. From JL, it's $240. Then you get crap customer service to boot.
I take it you have never priced out sound quality gear before?

Oh, I have priced sound quality gear. But JL Doesn't really fit that category. JL stuff sounds decent, but it's far from true SQ equipment.

I disagree, JL produces quality gear. The problem is that they spec their boxes too small. I've owned multiple W6V2's...10, 12, & 13...all great drivers. It's a well rounded SQ sub. I have two 10W6v2s with torn surrounds...they are old though...just the way it goes. I called JL & they told me they would get them reconed for $150.

This is my w3 //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif

DSCF0049.jpg

This is my w3 //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif
DSCF0049.jpg
I can fix that

---------- Post added at 11:02 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:02 AM ----------

whp pays a grand for a w7?
Exactly!!! The last ones I got I paid $400 for the pair

---------- Post added at 11:03 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:02 AM ----------

Send them to me. Ill re-foam them

Oh, I have priced sound quality gear. But JL Doesn't really fit that category. JL stuff sounds decent, but it's far from true SQ equipment.
Jl is in more top SQ winning cars than any other brand. I think that would constitute SQ equipment. It's used in both the top two seat and single seat cars for the last 4 years.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.