Amp clam test leaving me with questions.

Bakesbaked
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
I clamped my saz 3500 last night. Started at 13.8v dropped to 13.5. Number were 69.2 and 29.4

So 2000 watts roughly. Which would make sense at a 2ohm load but! It's wired to 1ohm. At least that's what I susspect. Two dual 1phm coils wired in S/p to equal 1ohm. Measured at amp and its 1ohm at the amp after rise. Is it the test signal I'm using? Needs to be a different frequency? Idk If I'm clamping it wrong or if something is wired wrong. Would like to know im getting all 3500 watts.

Assuming the 69.2 was AC volts and the 29.4 was amps, you're getting 2034W rising to 2.35ohms. Sounds pretty strong and probably slightly clipped to me.

Assuming the 69.2 was AC volts and the 29.4 was amps, you're getting 2034W rising to 2.35ohms. Sounds pretty strong and probably slightly clipped to me.
Was tunned with dd-1 and didn't show any signs of clipping. Let me double check what I had my multi meter at. I might of honestly had it on ac amp instead of volt

And no I'm not very familiure with box rise or even chasing down these issues. First big build I've ever done. Usually just a set of 12s on 1500 watts and never really cared if I was getting all of it. So I'm new to this side of car audio any suggestions or ideas would be nice

By what ive read theres no fighting box rise, it just happens. The only way to get your true 1ohm load is to wire lower than 1ohm

I clamped my saz 3500 last night. Started at 13.8v dropped to 13.5. Number were 69.2 and 29.4 So 2000 watts roughly. Which would make sense at a 2ohm load but! It's wired to 1ohm. At least that's what I susspect. Two dual 1phm coils wired in S/p to equal 1ohm. Measured at amp and its 1ohm at the amp after rise. Is it the test signal I'm using? Needs to be a different frequency? Idk If I'm clamping it wrong or if something is wired wrong. Would like to know im getting all 3500 watts.
unless its a constant power amp, all amps are like this, you'll never see the full wattage of any amp because of impedance rise. Its normal just deal with it.

Well the coils are .7 each. Only option is to wire at 1ohm at the moment. I might just order some re cones then and make it dual 2 which from fi are 1.4 each and wire to a half ohm. Just didn't expect that much rise out of it.

lol I rise from 1 ohm nominal to 4 ohm at 40hz.... ***** bro. Just gotta deal with it. Make sure not to wire lower than what your amp can handle though... I think doing that will fry the amp even though it's seeing a higher load after rise. But I'm not sure.

Well the coils are .7 each. Only option is to wire at 1ohm at the moment. I might just order some re cones then and make it dual 2 which from fi are 1.4 each and wire to a half ohm. Just didn't expect that much rise out of it.
Anybody correct me, but cant a .7 be wired parallel to get .35 or so, then with box rise will be near 1 ohm.

is box rise something you worry about for spl and burping at a specific frequency only or for daily listening as well?
well for example if I rise to 4 ohm at 40hz, odds are I stay around that impedance everywhere else, so basically I'm only getting roughly what my amp can do at 4 ohm instead of 1 ohm. So now I have to get an amp that can do what I want at 4 ohm.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.